Begginer

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Begginer

Post by Chiquirulis »

Hello my name is Fernando, thank you for taking the time to answer me and for the help.

I recently purchased an used 3D printer. I do not know much about 3DP and I am excited but struggling to make sense of everything.

My first issue is with identifying the printer, the person who sold this to me told me it was a Hictop Prusa i3, but he was not sure.... Doing a little digging I believe this is true. I will attach pictures of the boards for confirmation.
Controller 1.jpeg
Controller 2.jpeg
Controller 3.jpeg
LCD back.jpeg
Processor.jpeg
Once I believed I had identified the printer, I wanted to make sure I was running the latest firmware ( Probably a mistake, but hey that is how you learn) and this is where my problems started.

Due to my lack of knowledge I went directly to Marlin 2.0 and tried to flash the board without changing any configuration or really nothing at all and now I am unable to use the printer.

I do not know what firmware to download and the ones I have tried do not allow me to control the LCD and I have encountered so far the following:
  • I have run into 2 lines of squares
  • The whole LCD full of squares
  • Only the back light
  • Stuck on the main screen with Hictop Website
  • Stuck on the main screen with rep rap
  • Black screen with continues beeping sound
  • Back light with beeping sound after pressing encoder
  • And the latest problem I faced is a strange one.. the back light its lit, when I rotate the encoder, the main screen comes on and then back to only the back light on an endless loop
At this point I am at a complete lost and I humbly ask for patience and help.. I do not know where to start.

Some pictures of the whole printer for reference as well.
Printer 1.jpeg
Printer 2.jpeg
Thank you again in advance.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Begginer

Post by GrueMaster »

Looks like a Hictop 3DP-18, I think. Very similar to my 3DP-17, except using the acrylic frame instead of the 2020 aluminum (was a cost savings measure I think). @Roberts_Clif is the local expert on Hictop and Marlin firmware. He would be the best one to get the latest firmware from. You might poke around here a bit, I believe he has posted versions before.
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Post by Chiquirulis »

Thank you for your quick response, Ill look into th 3DP-18 to see what i can find.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It appears that you have a Hictop Prusa i3 3DP08 or 3DP18 acrylic. With 3D Printed Filament Spool Supports.
When you select the 3DP18 Manual the 3DP08 Manual is shown.
HICTOP-3DP08-Prusa-I3.jpg
Firmware located Here

Users Manual located here
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Post by Chiquirulis »

Thank you Roberts.

By the dimensons it looks like its the 3DP08. I was able to load the firmware into the printer, now I am facing a problem with the auto home setting.. When I select auto home in the LCD menu, it starts the process, but sometimes, not always, when the X axis hits the limit switch, it gets stuck and the printer starts to shake and make loud noises. Some of the times it happens on the X axis some other times on the Y axis.. Any ideas why this would happen ?

Also, is it possible to flash Marlin 2 on this printer ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It could be an intermittent solder connection on the end-stop switches.

This can be tested using an continuity tester or by sending M119.
My 3DP11/12 had several broken solder connections under the shrink tubing on the end-stop switches.
Touched up solder connection no more problem.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”