Show off My latest Print

Show us your latest print!
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Re: Show off My latest Print

Post by Meduza »

ivan.akapulko wrote:Lawyers more serious about such things as a power outage. Or establishment of rights in the absence of it.
Well, in the case of a worldwide power & internet outage, i do not think that PayPal will be much worth as a company :p

Just to make it clear, Sweden do not have any system with official company stamps, so there is no way to get one unless you design it yourself and order it from a stamp manufacturer or 3d print it :-)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Made a copy if this broken thing apparently something for a stroller, which one could not get spare parts for easily anymore:
2016-03-16-6901.jpg
Ended splitting it in two pieces, gluing them together when printed. (not like the broken piece, but so that the joint will not feel much stress)

Now I am printing "metamaterial" in Ninjaflex: (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:289650)
2016-03-16-6907.jpg
I was discussing this with a visiting professor at work today who was very curious about it, and then I realized I must have given away all the good ones printed in flexible material.
The direct drive works really well with Ninjaflex, printing 0.15 layers at 25mm/s right now and I am considering increasing the speed a bit :-)
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Nice prints! The stroller piece took some time I assume? Rather complex, support?
Anders Olsson wrote:I am considering increasing the speed a bit :-)
I printed at 30 mm/s no problem with the bondtechqr3, so should for you with dd actually be a piece of cake... oh, getting hungry.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

martin-bienz wrote:Nice prints! The stroller piece took some time I assume? Rather complex, support?
I probably could have made it less complex, but the stroller is 500 km away at my brothers place, so it felt safer to copy every feature :-)
Probably took an hour or so to make the drawing.
I printed the first one in one piece with supports, but it came out quite ugly. So I split the next version in two parts and glued them together.
stroller_thing.png
That way I could almost avoid supports completely and still get the main load through the X-Y-plane :-)
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

Great solution with the glueing together. I tend to overthink things (printability, angles, rotation...).
is it not the piece that holds / hinges the handle bar (piece that prevents the kid from falling out front to quickly) of the stroller? I think i have seen this before on ours, but that is some time ago. :)
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

So when you "copy" a broken piece.. How do you go about that? I mean, you make it sound so easy but I assume it takes a fair bit of work?
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

Well, it depends on the complexity of the object. If you look at my recent example I have posted here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37&start=15#p1622, this was rather simple. Anders is fairly complex and I am impressed that he got it right within an hour.

If you have the original piece, it is rather easy to measure, especially if you have the right tools (digital calipers, ruler, radius gages...). Also, it helps to know your Software, that makes you faster. Nevertheless, I mostly start with a small drawing by hand with the most important dimensions and only then start with the 2d/3d drawing (this prevents from going back and forth measuring the actual piece). Then I usually think about how I want it to sit on the bed and make design changes so it would print easier (don't overthink this, that's what I usually do :)). When it's in CAD I start thinking about the tolerances and apply them accordingly. Then print and be happy, mostly.

So the process is rather simple for me, and once it is in CAD (in my case Fusion 360) you can allways go back and adjust it. When I started with making parts I allways printed "test" parts to check and check again etc. For instance I allways wanted the holes to be exactly right, but after a while you find the right dimensions for your printer, M3 troughhole needs 3.2mm diameter and it fits the first time. Now I rarely do partial test prints, only with really big prints or tight fit stuff. Also, I stopped to print everything at 0.1 layer height... mostly I print at 1.5 or 2.0 for functional parts. Makes it way faster.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

martin-bienz wrote:is it not the piece that holds / hinges the handle bar (piece that prevents the kid from falling out front to quickly) of the stroller? I think i have seen this before on ours, but that is some time ago. :)
I think my brother said it is for the hood, it wasn't for any safety related component anyway.

Not sure it took me exactly one hour, could have been a little more. But I am fairly used to the CAD-program so with a digital caliper it does not take that long to do this kind of object, it has a lot of symmetry after all which makes it quite easy.
Blizz wrote:So when you "copy" a broken piece.. How do you go about that? I mean, you make it sound so easy but I assume it takes a fair bit of work?
Well, as always I start by trying to find symmetry to decide how to draw the component in relation to the datum planes to get away with as little work as possible :-) (This is why I simply can not take CAD-programs which does not clearly show the datum planes, or even worse, does not have datum planes :shock: )

In this case I started with the thing with the round hole in it, made it with the revolve tool.
For the straight part with the strange shape cuts in it, the cuts have lots of symmetry. So by making new axis and planes and using those as a reference one can use patterning and mirroring so that one has to draw things only once.
stroller_sketch.png
It is so much quicker and easier this way than drawing things twice, especially if you need to do changes.
The tooth are also made in a mirror/pattern operation of course
stroller_tooth.png
In the end I added lots of rounds and chamfers to remove sharp edges.
The whole component is basically 10 features, two cuts cuts to simplify the design job and the rest is rounds/chamfers:
stroller_drawing.png
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

I had some nozzles flying around so I decided to do something about that, a little Friday night project.

So I designed a little nozzle holder in F360 that can be mounted to the UMO (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/umo-nozzle-holder):
nozzle_holder.PNG
The threads are all M7 as I don't have thread cutting tools and no M6 screws I could use to widen the printed M6 a bit ... turns out it's just fine with M7, the nozzles hold well if you fasten them tight. There are 2 pieces, the main piece and a press fit slider that holds the paper in place (and serves as guide to cut and to do the lettering).

Printed the two pieces in DiamondAge PLA, Cherry Red. 40mm/s, 0.15 Layer height, heated bed to 60 and extruder at 210, 1.2 shell. Took about 2.2h to print.

Some real life pictures:
2016-03-18 22.11.16.jpg
2016-03-18 22.11.28.jpg
2016-03-18 22.12.40.jpg
2016-03-18 22.11.53.jpg
2016-03-18 22.13.01.jpg
EDIT: Added link to the project on youmagine., changed layer height to 0.15...
Last edited by martin-bienz on March 21st, 2016, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

About half a kilogram of Colorfabb XT went into printing V2 of the part from last page :)
Attachments
2016-03-21 01.34.45.jpg
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Meduza wrote:About half a kilogram of Colorfabb XT went into printing V2 of the part from last page :)
Don't forget to make a picture when everything is mounted :)
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Martin
Printed the two pieces in DiamondAge PLA, Cherry Red. 40mm/s, 1.5 Layer height, heated bed to 60 and extruder at 210, 1.2 shell. Took about 2.2h to print.
1.5 layer height??
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

oooohhh... 0.15 of course...thanks LePaul
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Meduza, have you made any camera mounts? I have a Logitech C920 I'd like to hang on the Ultimaker Original :)
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

@LePaul: no, i haven't made any camera mounts for the C920 yet (only have the C910 myself...), but i have made this Raspberry Pi-camera mount for UM2: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultim ... 7a30e42871

Btw, about those sound boxes, do you own them so you can get more accurate measurements and photos from all angles?

Return to “Show off your latest print”