Filament stuck/chewed by extrusion gear.

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
ecastanedad
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3 Max

Filament stuck/chewed by extrusion gear.

Post by ecastanedad »

Hello, just recently I've seen a few ocassions in which the filament is getting stucked after the extrusion gear on my Ender 3 MAX. At some point the filament is deformed in a way it can't pass to the tube after the gear. I'm using my regular filament brand with the same settings as before. So when this happens the filaments stops flowing to the nozzle.
I notice that the filament is not tottaly straight in some parts of the roll, but could this be the cause? Maybe too much retraction (I use 6.5 for PLA)? Could the gear be too tight that it deforms the filament an bends it? I appreciate any help.
Filament.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Filament stuck/chewed by extrusion gear.

Post by LePaul »

I would check with the mechanical first. Can you adjust the tension between that idler and the gear?

Does other filament do this? What are the printer conditions? Is it hot? Is the filament dry?

Let's start there
ecastanedad
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3 Max

Post by ecastanedad »

Thank you, the printer has been running just for a few months since I bought it and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. SInce the last post I changed filament and everything has been ok so far. However I'm wondering if the tension is too high because after the filament is pushed it looks too flat to the point it can bend and can't go straight inside the tube. Is there a way to "measure" or calculate how much the filament can be marked by the gear? Thanks again.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Good question to ask among other Ender owners, maybe ask on one of the Facebook groups for that machine?
I'd also check your esteps just to be sure

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”