Had a thermal runaway error today, first time printing w/ ASA, bed temp at 90C

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
TT_Vert
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Maker Select V2

Had a thermal runaway error today, first time printing w/ ASA, bed temp at 90C

Post by TT_Vert »

I have a maker select V2 PLUS so it has a 24VDC output PS. With that said I still did the mosfet mod just to err on the side of caution. Today was my first time w/ my bed temps at 90C and i got this thermal runaway error. I wasn't monitoring it at the time so I don't know what exactly happened but the printhead has been stable at 255C so i assume it's the bed as I am seeing it jump +/- 10 deg on occasion which I cannot even see as possible. With that said, when I turn bed temp down to 68C it does seem to seem stable at 68 +/- 1.5 deg. C. Anyone have any idea if this is an issue w/ power delivery to the heating element of the bed or perhaps the temp sensor for the bed is just stroking off? I cannot see this bed losing 8-10C in a matter of seconds. I am doing to do a screen capture that I can play back later if this happens again at 68C bed temp. The only other thing I can think of is the sensor is accurate and given the high bed temp a breeze from outside is cooling the bed some. This is in a heated/air conditioned area and it is 85F out so I don't know that would be it. I did fabricate an enclosure out of some 1" sheathing I had lying around so I may test that theory by putting it on and bumping the bed temp back to 90C. I noticed the print warped and pulled off the bed at 60C but it did not at 90. Sadly the thermal runaway error ruined that print.

Thanks much,

Dave
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Had a thermal runaway error today, first time printing w/ ASA, bed temp at 90C

Post by LePaul »

I'm not sure I would entirely trust a sub-$400 printer to print unattended. Many machines in this cheap price category have burned down homes.

So definitely improve your safety game

A safety enclosure will contain the heat so machines that struggle to get to temps can do so better when the heat isn't being lost to the environment.

Also, if you haven't done some tuning already, a Bed PID would probably be on my To Do List

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#pid
TT_Vert
Reactions:

Re: Had a thermal runaway error today, first time printing w/ ASA, bed temp at 90C

Post by TT_Vert »

LePaul wrote: July 4th, 2022, 10:53 am I'm not sure I would entirely trust a sub-$400 printer to print unattended. Many machines in this cheap price category have burned down homes.

So definitely improve your safety game

A safety enclosure will contain the heat so machines that struggle to get to temps can do so better when the heat isn't being lost to the environment.

Also, if you haven't done some tuning already, a Bed PID would probably be on my To Do List

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#pid
Well i have been using it for 5+ years now w/o incident. I found the thermal probe had become dislodged. Reconnected it and all is well.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Glad you got that sorted out! Print Safe
TT_Vert
Reactions:

Post by TT_Vert »

LePaul wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:36 pm Glad you got that sorted out! Print Safe
Thank you. I am not diminishing your concern as it's a very real thing. Any heater that has a thermal runaway can be a very dangerous beast. I do have a camera on mine and usually monitor the prints via repetier server when gone but I have gotten very complacent as i've never had any issues. Fortunately the thermal runaway setting in the FW is helpful to prevent that sort of thing.

Dave
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Hi Dave,

I've experienced a printer fire (not at home) and it can really change how you think about safety! (Much like most don't bother with a home alarm system until they've experienced a burglary!)

Do be safe! If the worst happens, your home owners insurance may appreciate whatever efforts your home setup did to try to prevent the fire from spreading
TT_Vert
Reactions:

Post by TT_Vert »

LePaul wrote: July 6th, 2022, 5:03 pm Hi Dave,

I've experienced a printer fire (not at home) and it can really change how you think about safety! (Much like most don't bother with a home alarm system until they've experienced a burglary!)

Do be safe! If the worst happens, your home owners insurance may appreciate whatever efforts your home setup did to try to prevent the fire from spreading
Yep no doubt. I'm fairly competent w/ electronics and have created a few of my own 12vDC heating setups for heating mirrors in my RV. I also have a background in fire science so i suppose I can relate to both of them. I do have the printer in my garage and I have a CO/fire/smoke detector in there as well. I also have a camera on the printer as well as temperature probes and monitors in the garage for other reasons so I'd be on top of it if it did short on and try to burn down my garage. But it'll never happen to you until it happens to you which is what you touched upon.

Dave
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yeah it was amazing to see the aftermath. I hope no one has to go through that, the clean up, the litigation and so on from the insurance fun
maliya1
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): fghf

Post by maliya1 »

Experiencing a thermal runaway error during your first ASA print with a 90°C bed temperature is concerning. Ensure your printer's firmware is up to date, check wiring for any issues, and verify that the thermistor is securely in place. ASA has a higher printing temperature than some filaments, so confirm your printer's compatibility. Consider adjusting the temperature settings and monitoring the print closely to prevent overheating. If issues persist, consult your printer's manual or seek assistance from the manufacturer or online community for troubleshooting specific to your model.

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”