HicTop 3dp-11 installing a BLTouch as a NewBe

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
bob414
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3dp-11

HicTop 3dp-11 installing a BLTouch as a NewBe

Post by bob414 »

Need HELP!

I have a old 3dp-11, used it for years, but build plate is not flat, even printing on glass. So prints were limited to center of build plate. I hope, as I understand, that a correctly installed BLTouch will help correct this problem.
My 3DP-11 has the original threaded rods for Z. I have replaced the motherboard due to melting of the power inputs. The new motherboard is labeled "MPK V1" and was a direct replacement for the "Base V1.3" . I have printed the BLTouch mount from Thingiverse. I am running the original Marlin firmware from Hictop and have a copy of the .Hex file.

Want to be able to return to present config, in case I cannot get the system working with new hardware.

How do I save the original configuration?

Is using the install in Cura, the best way to install new/old firmware?

How do I tell my current version of Marlin?

Installing the new firmware from Marlin Auto Build, what example do I choose? What changes do I need to make to the configuration files?

As a NewBe, I have never added any commands to anything. Detailed instruction would be helpful.

Bob
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: HicTop 3dp-11 installing a BLTouch as a NewBe

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello bob414

Hictop 3D Printer Website has original Hex files.

Under Resources > Firmware simply choose

"1st. 3DP03/3DP08/3DP11
Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_Hex
Use E1 instead of E0 port
Source code"

Well hell link does not work, All other links work.
I upgraded my 3DP11 thru most version up to Marlin 2.0.6 Though I have never tried the BL Touch.

I have most source code though could not locate the original Hex for the 3DP11.
Sorry was wrong had this one on my google Drive, attached to this post.

I am most confident between the knowledge of this Forum we could help you.
Attachments
Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398.cpp.hex.zip
(91.64 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
bob414
Reactions:

Post by bob414 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I already have that file.

I have been pouring over the forum files, looking for the correct Marlin/config/example file to use in the Auto Build. I think I will have to modify it to activate the BLTouch leveling system. Then modify it again for the old z lead screws.

I might need other mods that I do not know about yet. Some in the Cura software any help on that?

Bob
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have Hictop 3DP11 & 3DP12 3D Printers.
The Twins 2018-3.JPG
Both 3D Printers have been modified to look and Print their best.
I have most versions of marlin modified to work with my 3D Printers, an have helped many Hictop 3D Printer owners adjust their firmware.

My 3DP11-12 Google Drive Folder have a look, the STL files can only be viewed from above photo or after download.

Both my 3D Printers run the same Marlin Firmware configuration, with one exception the names Red & Blu

Code: Select all

#define CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME "Blu 2.0.7"
I find that Hictop printers print ABS very well from inside an enclosure.
I also have many Cura and PrusaSlicer configuration profiles.
Post what you need help with and myself or someone else on the forum will assist you.
bob414
Reactions:

Post by bob414 »

Thanks for the files. Seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.

I did find the original (2016) hictop files ver 255, complete with configuration.h files, not just the hex file. If you want it I will try to figure out how to send it here.

Your red files look like all I need to do is define the motherboard, uncomment the BLtouch and check to see if the z steps are correct for my lead screw. Still not sure what motherboard to select. I have the MPX V1.

Here is a question that will let you know how much help I really need. Where is the config.g file and where do I edit it?
bob414
Reactions:

Post by bob414 »

I found where to edit the config.g files.

Ok. Working on a plan of attack. Does this sound like an acceptable approach.

1. load your marlin 2 hex file as is.
2. See if the Printer still functions.
3. Mod your configuration_H file for include BLTouch compile and reload.
4. Change the config.g file
5. test

Bob
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

What Marlin 2 hex file are you referring to, If it is from my google drive tell me before you flash as "My Hictop Firmware " and " Marlin-Red"
Folders have many hardware changes. I have changed the Proximity sensor twice, added a filament run-out sensor ect...
I have seen many 3D Printers users get lost so quickly, then they get depressed and quit without ever completing this simple task.

Only the folder "Marlin Hictop Firmware" will be compatible without changes.

It has been quite a while sense looking at the firmware source, tell me which file you are looking at and let me verify the firmware compatibility.
Will ask someone with BL-touch setup experience to help us in changing the firmware in folder "Marlin Hictop Firmware" to function correctly.
Please do not get is a hurry lets double check everything first. I know that you have the original Hex firmware still lets do this right the first time OK.

Thank You.

P.S. I have many spare proximity sensors if all else fails we can get your Hictop 3D Printer working using my current firmware and spare hardware.
P.S.S I have purchased many Hictop controllers and All use the same configurations, as the controllers are all hardware compatible mostly.
Exception MPK-V1 controller onboard SD card reader, can not use the LCD SD Card reader without hardware modifications, that I am aware of.
MPK.V1.jpg
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on December 30th, 2021, 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Great thread!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

@LePaul Just who I was thinking of.

Do you know lines of code needed to be changed to convert a Proximity sensor to a BL-touch for the Hictop controller in previous post...
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on December 30th, 2021, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I don't... sorry.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The controller you are using motherborad is "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_BASE_14 // (' EFBF ') to use 2nd Heater as 2nd Fan control"

Though it can use the a single extruder option of "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB" or "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB"
But I wouldn't you can it will work correctly with single extruder,
However I use this as "(' EFBF ') use 2nd Heater/2nd Fan or drive signal for Laser."

I also have lead screw configuration as

// Typical stepper motors have 200 steps per full step/rev = 1.8°/step, so 1/16 microstepping = STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E = 3200 
// X-Y Axis 3200, / 20 tooth, / 2mm pitch = 200*16 / 20 / 2 = 80 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_X / IDLER_TEETH_X / BELT_PITCH_X)
// Z Axis 3200, / 1.25mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /1.25 = 2560 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 8mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /8 = 400 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 4mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /2 = 800 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 2mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /2 = 1600 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// E-Axia 3200, / (11mm Gear OD * pi) :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E * EXTRUDER_GEAR_RATIO / (PINCH_WHEEL_DIAMETER * PI))
You original lead screw should be an all thread whereas I use a 2mm pitch lead screw vs your 1.25mm leadscres.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 2560, 94.4962144  }
Sorry called to work will continue later.
bob414
Reactions:

Post by bob414 »

Whow! You are full of info!

Taking it slowly here, want to get it mostly right the first time.

I printed out the original configuration_H and adv files from the version from Hictop 2555 and your "Red Version". Went thru the 2555 active code lines and compared them to your red version.

Noticed the different in the default Steps per unit, will need to change those.

Really confused on all the LCD Display commands changes. I have the original LCD display.

Probably will need to comment out the filament out sensor.

The limit switch section has lots of changes.

I have the MPK V1, with only one extruder, so I think I should select #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB. Not really using the SD cards at this time, so unless they conflict with something, I can wait on those changes.

Have not completed the Configuration_adv_h file comparision. Will go back thru both again, will try to do a line number to line number difference on active code.

Would you want the original configuration files from HicTop? Folder name "Marlin3dp11_2555".

On hold here until, I feel more comfortable with changes I need to make.

Bob
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I just made a new "Marlin-2.0.6.1 with Visual Studio Code > PlatformIO > Marlin Auto Build" Look at this one.
This is the newest Marlin version I am currently configuring as compatible with Stock Hictop 3DP11 without Proximity Sensor.

I will verify this is as close as possible to Original Source, only this firmware is many times better than the original.

Well that went faster than I thought
Image1.jpg
bob414
Reactions:

Post by bob414 »

Thanks for all your hard work, what you did in a day would take me a week or more.

Do you suggest I try to mod and test that build?

I compared it to my Marlin3dp11_2555 code from HicTop. Looks very close, with the exception of DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for the Z axis, I think I need [80,80,2560,94.4962144] and I cannot decode all the differences in the LCD panel.

If it tests right next step is to work on adding the BLTouch.

Bob
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

You are 100% correct, one reason I have placed My Notes in my Code

// Typical stepper motors have 200 steps per full step/rev = 1.8°/step, so 1/16 microstepping = STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E = 3200 
// X-Y Axis 3200, / 20 tooth, / 2mm pitch = 200*16 / 20 / 2 = 80 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_X / IDLER_TEETH_X / BELT_PITCH_X)
// Z Axis 3200, / 1.25mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /1.25 = 2560 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 8mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /8 = 400 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 4mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /4 = 800 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 2mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /2 = 1600 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// E-Axia 3200, / (11mm Gear OD * pi) :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E * EXTRUDER_GEAR_RATIO / (PINCH_WHEEL_DIAMETER * PI))
Still I have other points that may need remarked out, or changes to offsets

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE

#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET { 0, 25, -0.5 }

#define SDSUPPORT

// Your LCD Panel IS a  LCD2004
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER  // CL: Stock HICi3 20x4 LCD controller
#define NEWPANEL  
LCD2005.jpg

Return to “General Questions”