Cura wish list

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Cura wish list

Post by ivan.akapulko »

You use any method of static analysis? Something like this: http://www.viva64.com/en/pvs-studio/
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Nope. We don't use visual studio either.
johan
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO (UM2, UM2+, UM2XT+, Form2, etc. at work)

Post by johan »

Python really isn't suited for static analysis AFAIK.

If I were to add something to the wish list it would be for the heavy lifting parts of Cura to be rewritten in a compiled language (like CuraEngine is). I'm not up to date on the Cura code but loading STL files, calculating bounding boxes, rendering g-code etc. are not Python type tasks ;)
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

nallath wrote:
Amedee wrote:I stick to Cura 14.07, there were changes after that version that I didn't like (infill before perimeters)
New cura has the option to change the order.
When you say 'New Cura', you mean latest version of SteamEngine, or Pink Unicorn?

Also do you have a link to the release notes? I am probably missing something, but all I could find was this but it is just for a couple of versions...
I could read all the commits on GitHub, but if there is an easier way :roll:
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

I mean the 2.1 release. So thats the stuff we called PluggableUnicorn, the spiritual successor of PinkUnicorn (which uses CuraEngine)
Yeah, we come up with horrible names. The JarJar is a good example of that as well (although the UltiScanTastic Beamer Edition is still my personal favourite)

There are a gazillion changes from 15.04 to 2.1. I don't have a proper change log for it, sorry.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Thanks -- I was just looking at all the release notes for old version, but as you were were referring to 2.1 it does not matter anyway ;)
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

nallath wrote:I mean the 2.1 release. So thats the stuff we called PluggableUnicorn, the spiritual successor of PinkUnicorn (which uses CuraEngine)
Yeah, we come up with horrible names. The JarJar is a good example of that as well (although the UltiScanTastic Beamer Edition is still my personal favourite)

There are a gazillion changes from 15.04 to 2.1. I don't have a proper change log for it, sorry.
Its made my day!!!
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

My wish list

Scripting with easy to understand stuff like (currect-layer) (next-layer) (current tool)
Scripting with variables and specially IF =< etc etc.

A simple language (python no thanks for me) that could be readed and program by just thinking a bit.

Bath of modifiers for layer, height, speed. Like for example:
Layer 10-20 speed -20%
Layer 30-40 height 0.1
Layer 70-90 fan 100
Layer 2,7,12 speed 130%

All that for 1 print and per object :)

A bath of info that you can save with the proyect packed (stls, profiles) on a single file, or at least one folder with the stuff related with an xml.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

I wanted to quickly view an STL model on my home PC before going to work today. Had to reinstall Cura. They added some stupid survey to the download page so you can't just get it anymore unless you click through that annoying survey.

Ultimaker seems to be going further and further away from the people, and towards a large company model. It's a shame..
I think I will just switch over to S3D. It seems to meet my expectations much more than Cura.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Jonnybischof, s3d it's a really great program, the downside it's their support it's CRAP, in caps, and let's not talk about documentation (but on that cura it's also very dry).
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: A simple language (python no thanks for me) that could be readed and program by just thinking a bit.
We won't add anything more simple than python scripting that is now done in the PostProcessing plugin. It would take a lot of work to get that right.
Neotko wrote: Bath of modifiers for layer, height, speed. Like for example:
Layer 10-20 speed -20%
Layer 30-40 height 0.1
Layer 70-90 fan 100
Layer 2,7,12 speed 130%
Already supported through postProcessing plugin (and tweak at z)

Neotko wrote: A bath of info that you can save with the proyect packed (stls, profiles) on a single file, or at least one folder with the stuff related with an xml.
You mean workspace saving? It's not going to be there for 2.1, but we want this feature :)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

jonnybischof wrote: They added some stupid survey to the download page so you can't just get it anymore unless you click through that annoying survey.
Click the "I dont wanna give information" thingie. No extra clicking required. I totally agree that this is somewhat annoying.
jonnybischof wrote: Ultimaker seems to be going further and further away from the people, and towards a large company model.
It's a management fad to think that more information is more good. Ultimaker will remain open source and same goes for Cura. I won't deny that there is always a tension field between stuff that you need / want because of corporate reasons and stuff you want because it's "right" / or expert users (you guys) want it. Obviously R&D is usually on the second end of the spectrum and marketing / sales / etc on the first end (although this isn't always the case, but you get my point).

Don't underestimate the influence that you guys have with regards to features that we develop. I quite often champion features you guys requested.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I'll have tocheck that processpluging. I remember it qas no use for me the tweak ar z because I wasn't able to insert more than once, and when used twice it only did the first plug insertion and not the second or third.

One last request if posible. On 1.99 the gcode view it's a bit confusing to see small details becuase you see a fade of the layers below. It's there any improvement for the gcode viewer planned? Like:

- be able to see current layer, crisp and clean (other colors)
- See a more sharp view like umm other gcode viewer I can't remember, or s3d viewer.
- Be able to see how the head moves on each layer, so per-line-movement.
- Be able to create 'mark points' that later on the user can use to point a pluging. For example, I move the gcode timeline and see that it's going to make the last top layer, then I 'mark A' move forward and see the end of that yop layer and I do 'mark B'. Then I go to 'plugin name here' and use feature A from markA to markB.

Now that I thought of it, this last option could be the single best option an slicer could have for me.
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

We did improve the layer view, so it should be easier to see whats going on.

As to the marking of code, don't expect it to be there any time soon. Its quite a complex feature.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Nallath, will there be in a new version of the ability to move between layers with keyboard? Some Shift+Up/Shift+Down in a layer view mode?

Return to “Cura”