Cura 2.6 Beta!

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Cura 2.6 Beta!

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:But then the topic become...which flavor of Linux?

I've used Peppermint and could never get Cura to work on it.

We can all curse Windows but there's a lot of Linux builds out there. Which one do people prefer for general purpose computing?
Ubuntu, Debian or, maybe, Suse. If you like MacOS style, try ElementaryOS, its fork of Ubuntu.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Personally, I recommend Ubuntu 16.04, but you 'should' be able to get any LTS flavor of Linux to work. The key is to not get into one of the many developer's releases, as they tend to spin too quickly and are often too close to the bleeding edge, while the LTS releases are a lot more stable and have better support (LTS = Long Term Support).

I should also say that if you want to build from source, you may have to get slightly newer packages than what is available for the LTS releases. I noticed a few package requirements are newer than what Ubuntu 16.04 has to offer.

What is the 'official' Linux OS used by the main developers?
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

GrueMaster wrote:Personally, I recommend Ubuntu 16.04, but you 'should' be able to get any LTS flavor of Linux to work. The key is to not get into one of the many developer's releases, as they tend to spin too quickly and are often too close to the bleeding edge, while the LTS releases are a lot more stable and have better support (LTS = Long Term Support).

I should also say that if you want to build from source, you may have to get slightly newer packages than what is available for the LTS releases. I noticed a few package requirements are newer than what Ubuntu 16.04 has to offer.

What is the 'official' Linux OS used by the main developers?
16.04 have big trouble with hardware, especially on AMD chips. So, maybe previous LTS Ubuntu release is more better way to "go tux", imo.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. So far, no regrets.

As far as I know our devs use; Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora & Arch.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

This is the one I have installed on one of my laptops...
https://peppermintos.com/
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

An Ubuntu derivative. Similar to LinuxMint. I'd have to give it a look over before I give an opinion. I have a friend that uses LinuxMint, and the only problem he has is with his graphics card (dual nVidia SLI graphics). Works fine in Ubuntu, PITA to configure in LinuxMint. No idea why.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

My coworker is a want-to-like Linux over Windows guy. He liked Mint and went to Peppermint, convincing me to try it.

I find it very user friendly for general purpose stuff and quite "pretty"...it plays like Windows in a lot of ways. The updates are easy to let run and do their thing.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

So I have been using 2.6 Beta more recently, and am having some trouble (still) with supports. I like to print miniatures for D&D, and a lot of the models I download require support of some sort. This is what I got from printing a Catfolk Ranger with full support.
catfolk-before.jpg
Note that I am still experimenting with the support types, but the amount of cleanup needed here is just too much. I am using 2.6 because the old standby (15.04) doesn't allow combining, and the base is only 1mm thick on this model, so I dropped it on top of a 25mm base.

If I let Cura just do it's thing, the right hand (paw?) is free floating. I have to get creative with the settings to get it to support the areas needed. And it still creates supports where not needed (right ear, left eyebrow, left shoulder). Overall, I am starting to like the new Cura better (still wish I had the Pronterface interface to control the printer). It seems to be coming along nicely.
MTVDNA
Reactions:

Post by MTVDNA »

I switched to S3D because I just couldn't get cura to print my minis correctly. Sometimes the supports would be different for exactly the same model while printing multiple at once. In S3D you still need to experiment to get the settings just right, but being able to manually choose where to place supports (and where not!) is essential i.m.o.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Ok, miniatures with support issues aside, I am starting to like 2.6b even more. While the number of options available can be overwhelming, I just turn off those that don't apply to me (2nd extruder stuff mainly), set and forget some of the others that don't change (printer settings, filament specific settings), then twiddle with the ones that seem appropriate to the job on hand. I like that they are taking the time to add hover text to the options to explain what they are for.

Still hoping for custom support placement and better printer control, but I can wait for those. I can always add supports in a different app (Blender or something).

And let me reiterate, I am NOT spending a lot of money on software. As a programmer, I'd rather spend it on the hardware and make code improvements and suggestions where I can. I know that isn't for everyone, but it is how I fly (well, Penguins can't fly, but you get the idea).
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That's really my only grief with the newer Curas. Old Cura had the advanced tab and was very menu driven (like Simplify3D) for the various features.

The layout of the advanced settings is quite overwhelming for me. I'm still learning it, too
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

MTVDNA wrote:I switched to S3D because I just couldn't get cura to print my minis correctly. Sometimes the supports would be different for exactly the same model while printing multiple at once. In S3D you still need to experiment to get the settings just right, but being able to manually choose where to place supports (and where not!) is essential i.m.o.
You can. Sorta. Check out "anti overhang meshes"
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Curse you for suggesting this on a workday. :P

I got distracted while waiting for the water to boil for my coffee, now I am 20 minutes late to leave for work.
I'll have to check it more tonight, but the gcode view does look a lot cleaner with that set.
MTVDNA
Reactions:

Post by MTVDNA »

nallath wrote: June 9th, 2017, 7:53 am
MTVDNA wrote:I switched to S3D because I just couldn't get cura to print my minis correctly. Sometimes the supports would be different for exactly the same model while printing multiple at once. In S3D you still need to experiment to get the settings just right, but being able to manually choose where to place supports (and where not!) is essential i.m.o.
You can. Sorta. Check out "anti overhang meshes"
I most certainly will! While S3D has its perks, cures has very good print quality out of the box. I haven't used it in a while to be honest, but I'll give it a try soon!
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Been using Cura 2.6 beta for a while, and it's a seriously good upgrade. Well worth it. So many new features I won't mention that have really made things easier for me, so thanks to all involved!

Return to “Cura”