Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Fatty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Re: Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Post by Fatty »

Did you ever find a solution ckoerner?
AlmostAnEngineer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-17

Post by AlmostAnEngineer »

Thanks for all the help everyone! This has been an invaluable resource since I recently purchased a 3DP-17 and couldn't use it since it was always giving me a "change filament" error. I have two questions so far.

First off, I'm running into one small problem using Arduino's 1.0.6 IDE. I am being given the error seen below when I "verify/compile" my Configuration.h file. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"
In file included from /Configuration_adv.h:689,
                 from /Configuration.h:1178,
                 from /Marlin.h:44,
                 from blinkm.cpp:28:
/SanityCheck.h:38:4: error: #error Versions of Arduino IDE prior to 1.6.0 are no longer supported, please update your toolkit.
Second, how do I obtain the original source code for my printer in case something goes wrong? I emailed HICTOP tech support two days ago and they still haven't gotten back to me. Does anyone else have a copy I can use?

Once again, thanks for the EXTREMELY helpful tutorial Chip. I can't wait to get into 3D printing! :-)
Fatty
Reactions:

Post by Fatty »

It seems you need to update Arduino to 1.6.0 (at least, the latest is 1.8.1) It looks like you are using an old version (1.0.6)

If I was you AAE I'd check this post http://3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php ... &start=120 and follow whats happening there. Upgrade Marlin and try out the configuration file that has been linked. It worked great for me. (based on the original Hictop version)
AlmostAnEngineer
Reactions:

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it working yesterday using the 1.6.0 IDE.

I'll check out that link you provided for me.

However, today when I plugged I turned it on I got a mintemp error. No idea what could be causing that since it was working fine yesterday. Time to keep on searching!

**EDIT**

I checked the thermistors with my multimeter and wasn't gettign any reading from the hotend. Went to check it and somehow it broke :(
Imgur Link to broken thermistor
Fatty
Reactions:

Post by Fatty »

Ah ERR: MinTemp... yes I was suffering from that. ...it went when I upgraded to the latest Marlin (bugFix version ):-https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... BugFix.zip

I also had to loosen the grub screw that keeps the thermistor place and push it further into the Extruder! Try that first.
ckoerner
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

Post by ckoerner »

Fatty wrote:Did you ever find a solution ckoerner?
Nope. I was able to discover that my model number is Hictop 3DP16, which means I might have enough differences that Chip's config is just off enough. I was able to get the original firmware from Hictop and after reverting to that I'm able to print, but not with any of the improvements.

So I'm back to square one. :)

Update: After downloading the custom firmware from this thread things are working well!

http://3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=357
AlmostAnEngineer
Reactions:

Fatty wrote:Ah ERR: MinTemp... yes I was suffering from that. ...it went when I upgraded to the latest Marlin (bugFix version ):-https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... BugFix.zip

I also had to loosen the grub screw that keeps the thermistor place and push it further into the Extruder! Try that first.
When I get my new thermistors I'll keep that in mind. The weird thing is, I'm not getting a temperature reading for my heated bed either, but it was working just fine the other day. When one thermistor goes bad, do they all stop reading correctly?

I still haven't heard anything back from HICTOP support. I'm thinking about writing another email later this evening to try and get the stock firmware for the printer.
Tech Gorilla
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3, Hictop 3DP-17

Post by Tech Gorilla »

I still haven't heard anything back from HICTOP support. I'm thinking about writing another email later this evening to try and get the stock firmware for the printer.
THis is the reply I got from them about my firmware. It really did not work on my printer. I went with Bugfix Marlin 1.1.9
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your fast reply. You can download the firmware from this link https://www.hic3dprinter.com/pages/firmware

Thanks

Best Regards

--
HICTOP 3D PRINTER

HIC Technology Co., Ltd.

Add: 4032, Blog 8, Tongfuyu Indurstry Park, Dalang, Long Hua District, Shenzhen, China

Tel: 86-755-23042886

Whatsapp: +86 18129829860

Email: hictop_service@ljelectronic.com

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

HicTop Web Site is here

Firmware is under Download, Firmware
Users manuals is under Download, User Manual

Hictop Web Site Contact Here

US: hictop_service@Ljelectronic.com

Who is more helpful
Sales Support
susan@hictop3dprinter.com
t2krookie
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HicTop 3DP-17, Makerbot-Mini and ADIMLab Prusa

Post by t2krookie »

Tech Gorilla wrote: March 7th, 2019, 10:32 pm
THis is the reply I got from them about my firmware. It really did not work on my printer. I went with Bugfix Marlin 1.1.9
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your fast reply. You can download the firmware from this link https://www.hic3dprinter.com/pages/firmware

Thanks

Best Regards

--
HICTOP 3D PRINTER

HIC Technology Co., Ltd.

Add: 4032, Blog 8, Tongfuyu Indurstry Park, Dalang, Long Hua District, Shenzhen, China

Tel: 86-755-23042886

Whatsapp: +86 18129829860

Email: hictop_service@ljelectronic.com

So another newb here but I had this 3dp-17 for 2.5 years and after making the fatal mistake of uploading a HEX file sent from Hictop, I have had a neat looking conversation piece that doesn't work for the past year. I have other printers that work just fine but have been trying to revive this think for some time. Hictops Firmware page gives the source files, but all the manual does is give you some basic trouble shooting and assembly instructions.

I have read this string , watched more than a few u-tube videos on firmware updating and went through many of this pages various iterations concerning this process but I still seem stuck on a couple of questions after several failures to compile for this machine.

I read the string with the basic instructions of the HicTop RC 6 but this seemed to die out in 2017?, and the main brain contributer stated in the beginning that there would be updates to the specific instructions but there wasn't on a few key points. I see by his posts he is a very busy guy so not knocking him.

In his initial instructions was mentioned that using this RC6 compiling was more successful with the Bugfix Marlin 1.1.9 version but which IDE version was used?

Is RC-6 still the best developed version? or did I miss another string?

Any navigation and practical information would be appreciated. It is just that so much of the material out there seems to go off on tangents and assumes knowledge that I simply don't know (what I don't know). Ask me what medications mixes poorly with another and I'm your guy. I can even run a hobbyist lathe or mill, but I'm poorly prepared for the intricacies of programing and compilation.
Chaco
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HyperCube & Hictop Prusa i3 3DP-08

Post by Chaco »

I will try to somehow keep this over simplified for you, but bare with me. I am currently running Marlin 2.0 on mines and its been working great! Now, given that my setup is quite modified than yours, it will not simply work for you, so i cant just share my files.

Now, without messing with Marlin 2.0 and all the stuff needed for it to compile using Atom/PlatformIO etc... i would suggest to make a fresh firmware from Marlin 1.1.9 for your setup...

I think a fresh copy, with only config.h and config_adv changes should get you going. Now, this isnt really hard to do, its just very time consuming and can be confusing. Any video showing you how to edit and compile RC6 for example, should get you going on this.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”