Glass bed question

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
AndrewJLLeather
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop pursa i3 autolevel

Glass bed question

Post by AndrewJLLeather »

I've got my hic i3 metal frame auto leveling printer up and going. I'd like to add a Borosilicate glass plate, but I have a question on how to execute it since my printer has the SN0-4 inductive z axis sensor. With the addition of a typical 3mm glass plate I'm pretty sure when doing it's auto homing it'll not sense the bed and crash into the glass and cause major problems. Any ideas?
my printer

thanks
AndrewJLLeather
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop pursa i3 autolevel

Re: Glass bed question

Post by AndrewJLLeather »

I ended up buying a cheap piece of plate glass cut to size from Lowe's. I unplugged the inductive z sensor and added the extra microswitch for the z axis. I was able to get the z axis limit switch homed in the good old way and it seems to print fine.
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

AndrewJLLeather wrote:I've got my hic i3 metal frame auto leveling printer up and going. I'd like to add a Borosilicate glass plate, but I have a question on how to execute it since my printer has the SN0-4 inductive z axis sensor. With the addition of a typical 3mm glass plate I'm pretty sure when doing it's auto homing it'll not sense the bed and crash into the glass and cause major problems. Any ideas?
my printer

thanks
Yep, inductive will NOT work on a glass bed
mpoling
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP17

Post by mpoling »

See my post about the inductive Z sensor. You can get it to work by inverting it on the gantry and having it detect the smooth rod on the X axis. Works great once you find where to mount the Z sensor on the vertical gantry support.
dickerdb
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3dp12 Prusa i3

Post by dickerdb »

I put my sensor there on the gantry using the spare z microswitch holder that was in my kit. It works great. Thanks for the idea mpoling.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”