Switching colors on same layer with dual extruder printer

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
printone
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ender v3, creator pro 2

Switching colors on same layer with dual extruder printer

Post by printone »

I have a FlashForge Creator Pro 2, and I am trying to get better at complex prints of multiple colors.

Something I would like to understand how to do, but cannot figure out is take this object:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1997136/

and make it where the eye parts sunken in are in black and the rest is white. This would match the character from the show who wore the mask.

This means the extruders would both have to contribute to the same layer when reaching the eyes, but I really cannot figure out how to specify this in any of the common 3D printing software.

I have watched countless youtube videos related to customizing STL files and mixing and matching colors, but I can't figure out which software to use for this example or how to do it.

I really, really would like to learn how to make this example work as it would fit others I would like to print also.

Thanks for any help!
Aurelia
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): google

Re: Switching colors on same layer with dual extruder printer

Post by Aurelia »

To switch colors on the same layer with a dual extruder 3D printer, ensure both filaments are loaded and the printer supports layer-by-layer color changes. In your slicer software, insert "M600" (or your printer's pause and filament change command) at the layer where you want the color switch. Pause, unload the first filament, load the second, and resume printing. Keep in mind filament purging may be needed to avoid color bleeding. Test and refine settings to achieve precise color transitions for your prints.

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”