Sticky Residue Buildup in heatbreak and heater block - Ender 3

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
zevrant
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender3

Sticky Residue Buildup in heatbreak and heater block - Ender 3

Post by zevrant »

Trying to reduce the amount of constant maintenance the my ender 3 printers require and one of the biggest issues i’m having is a buildup of sticky residue inside the ptfe tube inside the hotend/ptfe tube. It’s not leaking as i visually inspect before cleaning and i can see where the tube connects and there’s a clear line and no visible signs of leakage. Usually some rubbing alcohol and a scrub brush will fix the issue for about 100hours of print time before needing to clean it again.

Running this with the extruder mounted on the X axis (if there's a proper direct drive mod for the ender 3 i would love to try it)

Things i have tried:
  • less heat printing at 200 instead of 205 - marginal / no difference
  • printing speed turned down to 20mm/s - it takes longer for the buildup to become an issue but it also takes as long for the prints to complete
  • lowered retraction distance from 7mm to 3mm - i thought the high retraction distance might be causing issues, while it made it better it did not fix the issue
new to forum not sure why image tags aren't rendering.
Attachments
PXL_20230727_231753968.jpg
PXL_20230727_231738729.jpg
PXL_20230727_231846277.jpg
PXL_20230727_231912599.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Sticky Residue Buildup in heatbreak and heater block - Ender 3

Post by LePaul »

Yeah that's something I encountered on my CR-10 stock hot ends and upgraded to all metal, direct drive setups. The tube would start to get cooked and cause extrusion (under extrusion) issues.

There are a lot of nice upgrades out there. I love the Bondtech DDX upgrades

Return to “Help me fix this print!”