Help a newb?

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
Mrsrobinson23
Reactions:

Help a newb?

Post by Mrsrobinson23 »

I need help purchasing a printer, and anything else I need. I'm completely new to all things tech, but back in the day I really enjoyed my cad classes.

My goal: To design and print tools for pottery classes (stamps & rolling pins) for sale , and some custom stands for my 80s collectibles.

My needs:

A 3d scanner that can scan something the size of a coffee mug. Many designs will be hand made rather than designed on software.

print with different materials. like hard plastic for stands, and softer flexible for clay tools (if that's a possibility)

I only need to print in one colour, but I would need to be able to print with clear material.

It needs to be incredibly user friendly. I have no doubts about my abilities to learn how to use design software, but I can't deal with trouble shooting. Nothing irritates me more than when electronics don't function as they should.

And what's the best cad tutorials out there? Really just doing some tinkercad project ideas? Are there online courses I can take?

Not sure what to say for a budget. I'm divorced and poor and wanting to take a chance that my creativity can earn me a few extra bucks. $2000usd all in?

and I guess i should ask... what does it cost for the filament materials? I don't know how long it lasts for. Let's use the coffee mug example. How much $$ in material does it cost for me to print a coffee mug with some cheap black plastic stuff?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Help a newb?

Post by LePaul »

Check the numerous YouTube channels out there about learning 3D Printing

DO consider safety - many "cheap" 3D printers are not electrically certified for safety (i.e. UL listed, Consumer Electronics Certification, etc.) You wouldn't leave your home with your oven or dryer running unattended for days on end. Sadly, many people do this with 3D printers and experienced failed prints, damaged electronics or worst case, even fires!

Speaking of fire, an enclosure equipped with a fire suppression device is good insurance.

Also, 3D printers melt plastic, this process releases a lot of nanoparticles and VOCs. Research shows some materials are worse than others, but they all go into our vascular system. The current science says they effects are very concerning. The CDC and EPA advise limiting exposure and do either mask up, vent outside or fume extraction devices.

I am not trying to dampen your interest but making sure you are aware that these machines are not "set it and forget it" devices. They will require learning how they work, how materials work and much more. It's challenging, fun and very rewarding!

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”