Strange Defect in print

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
L67GS
Reactions:

Strange Defect in print

Post by L67GS »

Please forgive the long winded tale leading to this defect.
O.S. Linux
CAD: FreeCAD 2.0
Slicer: Superslicer 2.4
Machine: SWX2, Sunlu PLA
User experience level: 0.0002 / 100

So a week or so ago a print came loose from the bed and got stuck to the extruder. It was a big print and I wasn't down for watching it from start to finish so it took me a while to spot it. PLA made it's way up past the silicone jacket around the heat block and encapsulated it.
After that all of my prints would end up with the occasional discolored (yellowish although the PLA is blue) blob that actually resembled a booger (sorry, I know that's gross). I tried to clean the heat block to no avail thinking it was bits of plastic falling out from there and landing on the print.

Ultimately I decided it was pointless since parts aren't very expensive and I decided to make the proverbial Lemonade from Lemons and use this as an excuse to perform upgrades. So I ordered a bigger, copper heat block, metal lever, and a bunch of other stuff. Afterwards I threw an entire stock extruder, complete with a new ABL and all in my basket ($55, pretty good bargain) and ordered.

So days later I install a brand new extruder, thinking I'm back in business and can build the old extruder up with my upgrade parts. I did a good manual bed level ritual with my factory new, bone stock extruder and to my horror the boogers came back.
I've tried it on my files and some that I didn't CAD and they still come back, but not consistently. Also downloaded a new version of Superslicer and deleted the entire config folder before installing it so it could start fresh.

This makes no sense to me!

Also if anybody knows where to get replacement little black plastic probes for the Artillery ABL I'd appreciate the intel, they aren't on the website or anywhere and Artillery is useless with after the sale communication so they don't return my E-mails.

Thanks for reading, Tom

20230202_074746.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Strange Defect in print

Post by LePaul »

Hi

Where are the boogers?

One thing that can be notorious for generated those is the Power Off Recovery setting.

L67GS
Reactions:

Post by L67GS »

That's an enlightening video, and as soon as this print that's running is done I'm totally disabling that, but that's not my boogers. They're on the print face.
boogs.jpg
boogs.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

Edit: Sidewinder X2 doesn't appear to have a setting for power resume, but I would like to investigate "hopping" level transitions in the future.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That's interesting it is doing that on the infill, as that the end of the layer? I'm curious if you step through the print preview and view the toolpath moves, where that infill is within the print
L67GS
Reactions:

Post by L67GS »

I'm not sure how to check that. I'm still waiting for a couple of things before I really get into the machine and optimize it so hopefully it's scraping up stuff on the side of the nozzle or something and once everything is true it will stop. Also could be flow, I notice when the machine is at rest a little material will ooze out of the nozzle, maybe a good calibration or retraction will fix it.
I get blobs on the side of some prints too so I really do want to play a bit with retraction and hopping.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yes, temp tower and slicer flow settings can help a lot.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”