FreeCad export to .stl files hugely different file sizes

Let's talk about the slicers, CAD and other software you use for your prints
npomeroy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Anycubic photon 4K

FreeCad export to .stl files hugely different file sizes

Post by npomeroy »

I have made two models in FreeCAD, both by similar processes. Left and right sides of model helicopter wire cutters. Both file sizes similar around 180 KB. (But the "RH dome heads" one takes ages to open). I exported both the the slicer software Anycubic photon workshop, which seem successful although I haven't sliced them yet. But one of those files is 39 KB and the other is nearly 40,000 KB.

Can anyone see any reason for this and whether it is likely to prevent equivalent printing?

The files are too big to attach but here is a link
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArugkEfpRQyChJUvFXP ... A?e=k2SlE3

Cheers
Nelson

EDIT - I did do the slicing, and both objects produced similar-sized .pwma files (250 KB), so perhaps the difference in the mesh files was that one had rounded heads which are more complex than flat-sided hexagonal nuts.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: FreeCad export to .stl files hugely different file sizes

Post by LePaul »

I'm not familiar with that program but maybe others are. Can you detail how you exported them, step my step and any options you chose?
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I have Freecad on my PC, I'll have a look at it today.
Les
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

OK, I've had a look at the files, as I'm no expert on Freecad I can only make my observations.
One of the faces has more details in it the the other, see the face with one if the facets highlighted in green:
LH-file
LH-file
Lez
Attachments
RH-file
RH-file
npomeroy
Reactions:

Post by npomeroy »

LePaul wrote: November 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm I'm not familiar with that program but maybe others are. Can you detail how you exported them, step my step and any options you chose?
As I said in my edit, there may be no problem, as both sliced into similar sized files.

For exporting, I selected all the 'bodies' (one for the main block, plus one each for the bolt heads), and simply went file, export, .stl file type. The options were the same in both cases.
npomeroy
Reactions:

Post by npomeroy »

Lez0 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:34 am OK, I've had a look at the files, as I'm no expert on Freecad I can only make my observations.
One of the faces has more details in it the the other, see the face with one if the facets highlighted in green:
LH-wing.png

Lez
I think the difference in level of detail is the small file has flat-sided hexagonal nut shapes, and the other has domed shapes. Presumably the domes require many more meshes to model.
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

STL files can't do curves, they are a series of flats. I don't know about Freecad but Solidworks let you set the precision of the exported .stl file.
Lez

Return to “Slicers and CAD Software”