CAD design

szantogab
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa mini+

CAD design

Post by szantogab »

Hi all,

I apologize if it's not the right place to ask questions like this.

I'd like to design something similar to this product:
https://xiaomi-store.hu/7908-large_defa ... -timer.jpg

I love how the outer ring can be rotated and then the software can detect this movement. I'd like to have an LCD screen too.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to start designing it. I've already made progress with the software and electronics part of this project, I'm using an ESP8266 and a round LCD screen and a rotary encoder.

But I'm stuck with the CAD design, I don't know how I can design it in a way that this outer ring can rotate freely while it's still attached to the main enclosure. Also how will the rotary encoder be able to detect this movement?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: CAD design

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I'm a design engineer so this is the type of thing I do for my job.
For CAD design there are various free and paid for systems, like Fusion 360. FreeCad, Solidworks, Onshape etc.
If you don't have en engineering background this is going to be hard for you to design, I'm not saying you can't do it, but may take a long time and many attempts. You may be better getting some from a freelance website like Upworks, Guro etc.

Good luck with your project.
Lez
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello;

I started using Tinkercad
This is a free, easy-to-use web app that equips the next generation of designers and engineers with the foundational skills to design 3D Models.

I found it easy to use though did not have the power I needed to create professional 3D Models.
I found Fusion 360 and thousands of You-tube tutorials, without any previous experience designing CAD models.
Started creating my first model, this may not be one of the best models ever created but it was created one step at a time.
Learning each step by watching YouTube videos before I created the Hictop Controller Case model below in a few days.
Ii started out as a basic rectangular box an slowly added improvements to shape the box into a semi professional case.

New Case Layout.jpg

I believe anyone can learn Fusion 360 free for personal use using You-Tube online Video turorials.

Blue Case.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Do not know.
I think that because Fusion 360 Let me use there program for free, it belongs to both Fusion 360 an myself.
I would have to read the Fusion 360 Free for Hobbyist

Quoted from Fusion 360 Free for Hobbyist
so I guess I own the rights.
The problem with these personal use licenses is that it’s easy to get used to them and think of them as de facto open-source licenses; changing the terms then ends up leaving a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. To their credit, Autodesk is offering a steep discount on the commercial license right now, which might take some of the sting out of the changes.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I am confused, Not sure what you are asking me though have posted the STL file several time on this forum.
L67GS
Reactions:

Post by L67GS »

FreeCAD is not the easiest software, but it just might have the most Youtube videos to help beginners, that's how I'm learning anyway.
I'm 30+ years into electronics and I code C++ as well, for a beginner, a two piece CAD model to turn a rotary encoder might be a bit overwhelming..... But, a two piece part with an integrated optical encoder wheel wouldn't really be that bad so you could use an IR LED / photo transistor pair and count the ticks.
If you're capable of working with ESP modules you would likely have some surprising models in FreeCAD in less than a day, the basic stuff is really easy.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I really need to learn how to use FreeCad, time is just too short my learning curve eats most of this time up.
in my opinion the best way is to learn isby watching using U-Tube Videos

Return to “CAD and 3D Modeling Software”