Noob with Cura - HELP

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
rszanti
Reactions:

Noob with Cura - HELP

Post by rszanti »

I use an Ultimate 2+ printer at a library so do my software setup offline at home. I loaded Cura but am having a hard time getting anywhere. I loaded my model (STL file) and it's very small (100mm x 100mm x 20mm) and barely shows in the display. Isn't it possible to zoom in ? (I can at the library using thier copy of Cura). And secondly, the drop down menus don't work. I did register with cura online.

Richard
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Noob with Cura - HELP

Post by Roberts_Clif »

You have not included the version of Cura that you would like help with.

In order to get a sliced G-Code that will work on your libraries Ultimate 2+ 3D Printer.
Cura will need to be setup correctly for this printer at home.

In order to Zoom an object simple roll the mouse wheel.

It sounds like the model is scaled in inches and you need to scale it to millimeters.
Try scaling up by 25.4.
rszanti
Reactions:

Post by rszanti »

Cura 4.3.0, I believe the library is still using a prior version.

My scaling is fine, actual model size is 100x100x20mm.

Attached Photo and JPG (inch dimensions) are of item I'm attempting to print

IMG_4243.JPG
Brickclip2.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

When I print a model similar to the one you are trying to Print I enable a Parts fan at 50% speed.

In some instances printing with supports is required, I do not believe your model requires supports.
Though I have been mistaken before and will be again, as it is difficult to see the overhangs.
When you are printing less and less on the upper layers a "Minimum Layer time(sec) is needed.
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

rszanti wrote: October 27th, 2019, 3:29 pm I use an Ultimate 2+ printer at a library so do my software setup offline at home. I loaded Cura but am having a hard time getting anywhere. I loaded my model (STL file) and it's very small (100mm x 100mm x 20mm) and barely shows in the display. Isn't it possible to zoom in ? (I can at the library using thier copy of Cura). And secondly, the drop down menus don't work. I did register with cura online.

Richard
I use Cura 4.3.0 and yes you can zoom in, turning the mouse wheel zooms in or out, press and hold in the wheel moves the build plate around, hold down right mouse button rotates the build plate.

This youtube video is an introduction to 4.1, its pretty basic but its very informative. Click here to watch

Also there are some really cool plug ins on Cura 'Marketplace' such as 'Custom Supports' all are free to download within the software.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Mr SNG wrote: October 28th, 2019, 4:24 pm
This youtube video is an introduction to 4.1, its pretty basic but its very informative. Click here to watch
Thank You @Mr SNG I can always learn, My version Cura I have to Hold the right mouse button to rotate.
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

@ Roberts _Clif Wow! I'm flattered......Never thought in a million years I could teach you something! I guess the saying's are true "Every day your a beginner" or " Your learn something new every day"

Having said that you helped me learn a heck of lot in such a short time......thanks once again. ;-)
rszanti
Reactions:

Post by rszanti »

Little slow getting back here. I haven't had the chance to try the minimum layer time, but will. I'm trying to buy an inexpensive printer to play with so may wait until I can do so at my own pace unstead of being subjected to the dictates of the library personnel ;-)

Meantime thanks for the help.

Richard
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Your timing is OK, It has been getting crazier for everyone for finding time for all that has to be done.

This leaves us very little time for doing these things we want to do.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

An Ultimaker 2+ is a gem of a printer. I love mine.

However...the stock profile built within Cura has always caused me some grief. I find I have to add some vertical lift otherwise it rubs on print during travel moves.

I've had no such troubles with the Ultimaker 3 or S5.

I thought perhaps my printer was wonky. A few years ago Ultimaker loaned me a few Ultimaker 2+ Extendeds for a show i was doing. Sure enough, those did the same thing!

Return to “Cura”