COVID...stay healthy

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

COVID...stay healthy

Post by LePaul »

I've been working from home for a week, since I traveled West where there were infections.

But so far, I am fine

And getting a lot of 3D printing done :-)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: COVID...stay healthy

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Good to Hear that you are fine!
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on March 22nd, 2020, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Hi from Europe, I think we will be at home for quite a while, so let's start some new projects........
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've been reading how hard Italy has been hit with Spain not far behind. Stay healthy!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Yes was just discussing that very thing on another forum, I plan to finish up my MPCNC and to my first carving.
Also want to add the ability to have 3D Printing tools that can be plugged in when needed.
However this is the time of year when we have enough yard work to keep us busy for weeks on end.

Not to make this about the SARS-CoV-2, was already planning on continue when the weather got warmer anyway.
I have no place in the home for a noisy CNC, and needed a larger area like outside on a couple a saw horses.
Or better yet! A small shed with power, then will not have to stop when the weather gets bad again.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Yes Italy and Spain have been hit hard. You have to be careful so you are not next, avoid contact with others and stay indoors, and starting something new.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Went out to get a few supplies, groceries and house hold items they are going crazy out there.

The one store I went to had lines on the floor marked off at 6 foot intervals leading to the cash registers.
Social distancing and all the State and federal government said in order to keep the virus from spreading.
Did not even notice, who would have, got yelled at because went over the line by a foot by store customer.
The cashier at the checkout is way closer than 6' an they will spread the virus to more in one day than anyone.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on March 24th, 2020, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

It's kinda like the movie Independence Day...minus the invading aliens!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Hope everyone is staying healthy!
I have my FT-6 apart to install the E3D Hemera. Been doing a lot of prints on my Ultmaker 2+ and FT-5 How's everyone doing?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hey @LePaul

Doing really good
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

China's Wuhan couples were so eager to marry after lockdown ended that they crashed the marriage application system.

Read more
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:54 pm It's kinda like the movie Independence Day...minus the invading aliens!
Who's to say there are not Aliens spreading Viruses!
In the background you can hear the "Twilight Zone Theme Song!!!!!" Playing
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

How's everyone doing?
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Upgraded my 3D Printer computer station (upstairs computer) just now to Ubuntu 20.04. Other than that, been busy with work from home.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've been so busy printing the Ear Savers for a state-wide Veterans' home group and others.

I didn't think I could burn through so much filament in a week, but 5 printers eats it up quick

In my efforts to get more printers printing these things...

The FT-6 was slated to be re-wired. The stock PCB hot end interface is of poor quality and I'm tired of the failures from their home brew PCBs/ethernet connection to the electronics. I did a direct wire job of all the hot end components and with a printer that's a meter long, I had to extend a lot of wires. Overall things went really well and I got the E3D Hemera working nicely. I had installed a 0.6 nozzle but those ear savers have some finer details that worked better with a 0.4. The printer can churn out 15 at a time. Actually more if I wanted but it takes a long time for each part to get done, so by time the next layer would go on...it would be quite a while. I have one remaining issue; sometimes I get probing failure which is likely electrical noise from the BL Touch wires being wrapped up next to the heater and fan wires. I'll undo that soon.

My old CR-10S just needed a new hot end and while there were many Thingiverse offerings I could have tried, I decided to spend the extra $$ and go the faster route with the Bondtech Direct Drive . I'm so impressed with it. Between Bondtech offering great instructions, they also offer a supported firmware...just flash and go. Bonus points...they offer a BL Touch mount and a firmware that includes the offsets/BL Touch settings...again, flash and go! I know people cringe at paying top dollar in the world of open source offerings...but they sure offer a lot of convenience. (What's your time worth, right?)

The FT-5 has been my moody printer. The warped melamine bed has been the Achilles Heel for a long time. I have an aftermarket aluminum bed mount from 713 Maker and a bed surface, but the KEEVO silicone mat it's made for has been out of stock for sometime. However, I enabled Babystepping in the Marlin firmware (even though I haven't put an ABL in it yet)...so just cranking away at the babystepping when the print starts has made it usable. However, just the other morning, I noted the power switch to the off position wouldn't work. The general advice says to make sure the connectors aren't the issue. But I took this as a opportunity to upgrade that power jack/switch to a new one and junk the China power supply with a new Meanwell. If I'm going to debug the power entry portion of the printer, may as well replace and upgrade it.

The Ultimaker 2+ is my tank and it's done a good job. I bought a magntic bed/spring steel bed with BuildTak PEI. It was a cinch to install and it's honestly the best upgrade you can make to a printer these days! Wiggle the bed back and forth and things just pop off. Where was this tech ages ago??

My other CR-10S with the E3D Titan Aero has been cranking away nicely. That's been a really solid upgrade.

The FolgerTech i3 Mega is having issues with the TH3D EZABL mini probe. Upon leveling and going some autohomes, when you try to compute the z offset, you wind up 22 mm above the bed. Tim at TH3D points out that the probe is an early model susceptible to interference. I sort of rolled my eyes at that comment, given how hard his site promotes their devices are better than a BL Touch. But...I'll play along. I bought a new "pro" sensor and hope that not only fits the existing mount but resolves the issue.

Finally, the Tevo Tornado. I think I have 20 hours on this machine and despised the poor print quality (salmon skin) and general lack of any quality control. I need to make sure it's safe given it's AC bed has several videos on needing to be properly grounded. I know it needs a strain relief part on the bed and a few more things. Ruiraptor made a great video on upgrading the to a MKS board and 2208 / 8729 drivers. I did those things! I also replaced the broken bed. In my conversations with Bondtech over the CR-10S DDS upgrade, I asked if something similar could be done with the Tevo Tornado. We pointed out the Tevo is a CR-10 clone and instead of 12v, runs 24v. I also provided the link to the video upgrade I had done and the links to Tevo's firmware. In working with their support team, I think we have matched up the changes they did to the CR-10S to the Tornado. I ordered the DDS setup from them, they made the changes (Mr Bondtech himself did this!) and have asked me to let me know how the grand experiment goes. (The pin outs for the electronic box connectors is the same on both, so the DDS shouldn't need any tricks to plug in)

As you can see....i've been a busy guy!

Return to “General Discussion”