My Top 4...at this point...!

LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

My Top 4...at this point...!

Post by LePaul »

I'd really like a Large Scale 3D Printer and there's four I keep reading about that have really peaked my interest....what do you think of the 4 I am investigating?

GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: My Top 4...at this point...!

Post by GrueMaster »

I think you should get them and let us know how well they work. :P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Write the check!
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Hi Paul
There's been quite a few months since you did this video.
I noticed there are many new companies making large 3D printers, Athorbot, Copymaster etc.
Do you have any opinions on any of these, after all you are "the man in the know"
Thanks in advance.
Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Good question...there's a lot out there from China and elsewhere!
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I have been looking at reviews of some of them. It is really surprising and annoying that when you see a "professional review" of a large printer they only print small items!
I would have thought the idea was to use the printer for large parts. If you don't think the printer is reliable enough to do large prints, say so.
I am not having a go at anyone, I just want to know what the printer is like printing a large part.
rant over.
Yes there are a lot that seen to originate from China. I noticed some are assembled and tested before sale.
These are the companies I would buy from.
I am still looking for a replacement for the Folger FT5. I don't think the upgrade is going to be worth it for me, what with delivery and tax.

Lez
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Lez0 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 12:02 pm It is really surprising and annoying that when you see a "professional review" of a large printer they only print small items!

I just want to know what the printer is like printing a large part.

Lez
I agree! I can print small Items on any 3D Printer, In fact my Small 3D Printer has a 270 x 220 x 195mm Bed area.
However the largest PLA Model that has been printed was less than half that size. (" 130 X 100 x 60mm ")
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Lez0 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 12:02 pm It is really surprising and annoying that when you see a "professional review" of a large printer they only print small items!

I just want to know what the printer is like printing a large part.

Lez
I agree! I can print small Items on any 3D Printer, In fact my Small 3D Printer has a 270 x 220 x 195mm Bed area.
However the largest PLA Model that has been printed was less than half that size. (" 130 X 100 x 60mm ")

When I find the time want to print a R2D2. If I can find the Models Stl files.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I've printed mostly smaller models on my CR-10S (and my 3DP-17), but I have printed larger models as well. On my 3DP-17, I printed a flower vase that I had to cancel the last 10mm (my cura height settings didn't account for the filament sensor- print head actually ran into it forcing me to hit the emergency stop on Octoprint).

On my CR-10S, I have printed items that covered most of the bed (multiple brackets, all of the parts for a keurig pod stand, etc). The tallest I have printed was a few dice towers. I haven't tried printing at full height yet.

Last year, I designed a power supply bracket for some custom rack shelves for our server pool (printed 44 total in batches of 4). I don't think I would have been able to do it on the 3DP-17.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I cannot print the entire Z-Axis height as my new Z-Axis Proximity sensor Mount and and the Cable chain limits me now to about 185mm.

As not to crash into the new hardware I have changed the Z-Axis setting in configuration.h to
#define Z_MAX_POS 185

Return to “General Large Scale Printer Area”