A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by GrueMaster »

I've been to https://goo.gl/maps/oPsSXLmVd712 back in 2011. Was great. Plan on being in a meat coma for a few days.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Looks good! I will see if I can convince some colleagues to go there. Thanks, @GrueMaster
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

You where right with the meat coma, @GrueMaster :) Thanks for the recommendation!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Hello friends! How are you?
What fun projects are you working on?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

My CR-10S has been offline for almost a month (clogged and no time to work on it), haven't used my 3DP-17 in several months.

On a non-printing note, My wife found Ikea (new entertainment center wall cabinets, new wardrobe for the livingroom, new gaming table, etc). Also, I quit my job at Intel and left for a startup (run by former Intel managers). This was the first full-time week (I've been helping with infrastructure and development in my spare time until capital financing became available). Kind of excited about it.

Oh, and my youngest son has finally come through on his threats; I will be a grandfather in early February.

Overall, it has been a busy summer.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I finally found the time to setup my own receiver for Flightradar24! I did some testing first with the small antenna that came with the DVB-T stick from my office and got already signals from 10-15 planes in a range of ~40 km.

I then printed a antenna mount for the dedicated 1090 MHz antenna and a wall mount for the Raspberry Pi and mounted everything in the attic. That improved the range to ~300 km and 80-100 planes :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

So you have your view own air defense system now?
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I would rather say I am contributing to a very nerdy plane spotter tool :-)

If you run a receiver for them, you get a free FR24 Business Subscription which gives you more filters and stuff. I like to use their site to check if the plane, that serves the flight I am currently waiting for, is on time ;-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Speaking of flying....I am getting back into it...here's a video from last Friday....

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Hey friends....in case you missed the News Post...

It's that time of year, the Domain and Hosting Bill arrives in the middle of November from GoDaddy.

Members have stated in the past their willingness to help chip in towards that bill (roughly $100 USD) to help me out.

There is a Donation icon on the top of the page with a Heart Icon. Any amount is great!

If you enjoy the forum and want to chip in, I appreciate it :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

A few things...

We're close to having the renewal bill covered. Anything above and beyond will go into the forum...I anticipate whatever new software I put us into has a monthly cost. I like IP Board since a few other forums use it. phpBB seems to be a few steps behind on what others offer. While I like phpBB, I find others more appeasing to the eyes...and their social media integration.

To those who contributed...big Thanks!

And...now I am starting the assembly of the FT-i3 Mega...it's another FolgerTech kit printer and mimics the CR-10/Prusa style
The documentation is worlds better than the last kit (FT-5).

Thursday a GeeeTech A10 arrives. I'll get to see how these sub-$200 printers really are
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

LePaul wrote: November 5th, 2018, 11:09 am I anticipate whatever new software I put us into has a monthly cost. I like IP Board since a few other forums use it. phpBB seems to be a few steps behind on what others offer. While I like phpBB, I find others more appeasing to the eyes...and their social media integration.
I personally do not recommend going for the big new shiny app unless you have a guaranteed revenue stream to back it. I now work for a startup and I'm having a real hard time keeping the team from blowing our first round funding on all of the bells & whistles. Two engineers want some development tools that cost $400/per seat. Another wants to spend $12K on a new development board (plus $5k/seat for software development kit).

Keep in mind, if you do switch software, you will need to ensure it can import the existing threads, otherwise you may as well shut down. A lot of new people come here to get help from those that have experienced issues before, and us older folks enjoy helping them when we can.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Good points and moving the existing content is a priority

I just had the upgrade system for phpBB. It's always a completely risky cut, paste and hope the script does the job. I see a lot of support posts on their support Bb about blown up upgrades.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I am not sure I would have donated (the same amount) if I would have known that you want to go the Ultimaker Forum route with eye candy and social media integration :-(
That is not what I want from this forum.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well nothing has been decided
I’m still debating.
IP Board costs a lot to do

PhpBb has its pluses and minuses. We’re still missing a few nice add on features from the last upgrade The authors of those extensions no longer support their work. So while php is free the ability to add things seems a bit limited

Return to “General Discussion”