UM2 to UM2+ print head upgrade

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: UM2 to UM2+ print head upgrade

Post by LePaul »

darkdvd wrote: August 1st, 2017, 10:53 am look at this : http://www.ideato3d.be/fr/product-categ ... rs-teflon/
and here : http://3dsolex.com/product-category/ult ... -um-parts/

there is a coupler "TFN" (not TFM...)
and a ring : I2K for high temp (295°C)
Ok, this is good, apparently I missed a part in my part list

So the i2k sits under the metal spacer and on top of the Glass Fiber (2278) TFM?
darkdvd
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2/UM2+

Post by darkdvd »

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Does the UM2+ print head have that?

From top up... nozzle, Olsson block, i2k, steel coupler, TFM, metal spacer... correct?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

There are lots of info about the i2k on this forum and on the other. Worst case email gr5

IMO I2K is pretty much a pain in the ass. And specially with the TFM more smooth plastic compression it's a bit hard to tune without much patience. You will get leaks, you will get brown color contamination, and most probably you will tighten the coupler too tight deforming it's shape, making a smaller hole and increasing the pressure. I2K sounds easy and it's but requires patience and careful install. With the old ptfe coupler was 'easier' because it's harder to compress. Personally I would install a second hotend with a e3d or any full metal head for that.

Or wait for a um3 core easy setup for um2.

Anyhow, good luck and get ready to have leaks after the first 1-2 days of use. So watch the steel/olsson area for leaks. They can be a pain in the ass to clean if they go Massive.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Let me ask it this way....is it okay to go without the i2k
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I2K only advantage is to use 300C temperature.

TFM last already a good 2000h at pla temps. So far one of mine is around 3800ish
darkdvd
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2/UM2+

Post by darkdvd »

I use the whole i2k + TFN coupler for a long time and I never had a problem with brown contamination, deformation, or other by replacing the spring with a printed piece.
The mounting is easy and the alignment is done with a 3 mm rod in chromed steel, nozzle removed.
Just put the set in a stop and it does not move.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

@darkdvd , you mention a TFN? I know on the reseller pages I see TFM
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

TFN is the fake name Carl invented. UM call it TFM that's its the real name of the plastic
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Afaik the only difference is that it has a slightly different design so it works with the I2K. But better ask @@gr5
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

The I2K was invented in an attempt to increase the lifespan of the early PTFE couplers and to increase the maximum operating temperature of the machines.
With the TFM, the lifetime of the spacer increased dramatically compared to the earlier PTFE and glass filled PTFE.

For normal printing (up to 260C) I see no need for I2K if you are using a TFM-coupler.
If you for some reason want to go above 260C, I2K (or a PBI-spacer) is motivated.

Recent years has seen new plastics that prints at lower temperature though, such as the Ultimaker ABS that now prints at 230 compared to 260 at the time the UM2 was launched. So there is much less need for high temperature solutions now days.

Regarding the rigid spacer, the original spring-design has a flaw that causes trouble in the event if a leak between the coupler and the block.
If this happens while you are extruding with high force, the hydraulic pressure in the molten plastic can overcome the force from the spring, lifting the whole spacer the same way a hydraulic cylinder works.
Here is a very old picture, from the time before the Olsson block :-) , of what happens:
ultimaker_2_nozzle_teflon_space.jpg
The adjustable spacer was a little design challenge to enable dual printing experiments on the UM2.
I recently made a fixed printable spacer with a slot were you can see the bowden tube, I think it is the best compromise for single extruder printers, haven't had time to refine the design or to upload it yet though.
2017-07-21-2079.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

@Anders Olsson , where can one find the fixed, printable spacer? And would PLA suffice for that? Or should I use Ultimaker PC or other high temp material?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

@LePaul
I spend some time optimizing the design today and uploaded it on youmagine: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ptfe- ... um2-series
:-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

@Anders Olsson , thank you! I have some Ultimaker Polycarbonate in the printer now, perfect material for this model

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”