Suddenly my SD card isn't read by my printer

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Suddenly my SD card isn't read by my printer

Post by LePaul »

It works fine in the laptop

Copied the contents to hard disk, formatted the SD Card, copied files....still not reading

I wonder ...

1) Bad file in there?
2) Is there a limit to how many files the firmware will read?
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Re: Suddenly my SD card isn't read by my printer

Post by Xeno »

Check all you cables, with the FT-5 my cable was wrong and it would just read as empty or not at all.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

@Xeno this is my Ultimaker 2+
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Here are a few reasons the SD card could stop reading,
One has already been mentioned.

Windows repair scans SD an changed the SD configuration just enough that is unrecognized by the Printer and be recognized by your computer.
Solution Reformat SD Card and try again.

There is a high possibility that you have picked of debris, and it has became lodged into the SD card slot,
Solution you can inspect and simple blow debris from the SD card slot.

The connections on your card became oxidized an needed to be cleaned,
Solution use a Fiberglass Cleaning Brush ( "and" Extra Thin Fiberglass Scratch Brush). Can be purchased thru many sources E-Bay or many online stores, it is a product of Germany and work wonders in cleaning electronic connection free of oxidation.

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 42889 times
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I tried something else....it can be read on my FT-5. Just not the Ultimaker 2+ So it isn't a problem with the card itself

All I can think of is the Ultimaker can only display so many files on its display/firmware?
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Don't forget to use the SD card formatter tool, and not windows / MacOS to format the card.
I had some SD card issues when I started using my Ultimaker, but I've since formatted it with the tool and never had any issues after that. Except that one SD card cracked and wouldn't fit into the card holder anymore :P

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

The card that came with my UM2 also was not readable anymore suddenly some weeks ago. Since I always used two cards interchangeable, I just continued with the remaining one and threw the other away... maybe I should have tried this tool :-(
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

reibuehl wrote: August 17th, 2017, 4:39 am The card that came with my UM2 also was not readable anymore suddenly some weeks ago. Since I always used two cards interchangeable, I just continued with the remaining one and threw the other away... maybe I should have tried this tool :-(
If it was any place other than a 3D printer or sensitive data, would have said OK!
Thou when you are into prints that are many hours long do you really want to take a chance of an error somewhere at the end of that print.
VitalSparks
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2, Prusa i3

Post by VitalSparks »

I had this problem too, some while ago. It is almost certain that you have reached the limit in the number of files that can read by UM2 in a folder on the card. I think I remember I found the limit was 128. The solution is to use the PC to create a new folder, and name it something like 'OldModelFiles'. Then move (say) 120 files on the card into this folder - leaving (probably) 9 files in the root of the card, which the UM2 will now read and can be added to by your slicer as normal. The new folder will also be visible to the UM2, which you can open and gain access to all the files you stored in it.

I have several new folders on my card now - OldModelFiles1, OldModelFiles2, OldModelFiles3 ... etc.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I was curious if there was an amount, too. I formatted the SD card, copied all the files over again....unable to use the SD card. But wiped clean again and it is usable
VitalSparks
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2, Prusa i3

Post by VitalSparks »

I wonder how many people have dumped their cards because of this?

As I said, just create a new folder on the card, move the gcode files from the root into it, then continue to save them as usual until the limit is reached again, when you create another folder and repeat the process.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

I had the exact same issue just a few days ago and cleaning the contact surfaces on the SD card fixed it!

The most weird thing was that my UM2Go (with tinkergnome firmware) got stuck "Reading card" for a few seconds and the rebooted (?).
I tried it multiple times with the same result every time.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

I have a similar issue, but with a brand new ToshibaFlashAir W-04 card - 16Gb... get power as it establish Wifi network, but is not recognized by my UMO Controller... (says "no SD card"). My elder cards makes no issues...
Anyway: Ordered an W-03 to take a look and will test some other cards too this weekend.
koelek
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Formlabs Form 3

Post by koelek »

The old issue of reading the cards. I used to have a lot of problems with connecting my printer to computer, but I don't remember how I fixed it!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I still encounter this...it seems like the UM2+ can only read so many files, so I have to copy off my old gcodes to my PC, clearing out all that space on the SD Works again!

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”