Zero Gravity Direct Drive Extruder

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

Zero Gravity Direct Drive Extruder

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
I start the first day of 2017 by sharing my new crazing realization.
For a long time I wanted to print with very flexible filament without meeting all the difficulties due to the bowden tube on the one hand, and got the disadvantages of weight and power of the direct drive with the stepper motor on the print head on the other hand.
The flexible shaft is an interesting solution but also has some disadvantages and requires a significant addition of adjustments in a specific software to remove them.
I tried to find a compromise between these 3 systems, here are the results
Extrusion in direct with the usual stepper motor and using the components of the original extruder or those of the upgrade.
There is little added weight, and there is absolutely no play in operation, extrusion and retraction have become very accurate by having the full torque power.
Printing with very flexible filament has become almost as easy and fast as with the PLA.
My average retraction setting distance down to 1.5mm (1 to 2mm maxi)
Now my average print speed is 60mm / s
The other settings remain in accordance with the usual settings depending on the filament used.
I improved the ringing by lowering the acceleration values ​​and the X / Y jerk, (2500/15 UM2 extended)
Depth of 150 hours of test performed with different filament types without encountering problems

videos of a hobby car tire printed with 2.85mm Recreus Fila Flex A82 Shore at 50mm/s print speed and 2mm/30mm/s retractation settings

more informations will come ! ;-)

No much differences visible between the 2 tires, one printed with the PBI head and the other with the old stock UM2 head

some other work samples

the printed Christmas and New Years wishes in 2/3 colors are also done with the direct extruder by using the" Cura Pause" for change the filament.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Zero Gravity Direct Drive Extruder

Post by Neotko »

I want 3!!!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

Cheers Gudo, interesting solution, although dual extruders will be a bit of a problem. :lol:
But I like your thinking. Does a small stepper motor on the printhead add that much mass if we remain in the 50mm/s range?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Izzy wrote:Cheers Gudo, interesting solution, although dual extruders will be a bit of a problem. :lol:
But I like your thinking. Does a small stepper motor on the printhead add that much mass if we remain in the 50mm/s range?
You could place a motor 5-10mm in a different height and it would work with dual without issues right @gudo ?

Adding a pancake motor of 60grms is an option but that light motors can't work effectively for 2.85mm without overheating (so it would need gear+fan=more weight). Gudo's ZGE allows to use (correct me if I'm wrong Gudo) a full big nema or planetary gear, so you can forget about how much weights the nema.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi to you
I want to mention that is Neotko who found the name of the system and also he gave me good advices to inspire me,
thanks Neotko ! and yes! you're right, for 2.85mm extrusion the motor weight is no longer a problem, full horse power torque ! :-P
@ Izzy ,In case of absolute dual extrusion necessity, the dual direct system is also possible, here an animation , there will be another story ;-)
http://nsmf01.casimages.com/f/2017/01/0 ... 991926.rar
gr5
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): umo um2 um3

Post by gr5 »

I think this will work with a foehnsturm dual head style solution also as long as the non printing head is parked in a corner adjacent to the corner with the feeder steppers and not in the opposite corner and not in the same corner.
gr5
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): umo um2 um3

Post by gr5 »

Great post gudo! A happy new year present to the community!
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Have you thought about using off-the-shelf spline shafts instead of the square shaft and the printed adapters?

Something like this: http://www.haydonkerk.com/products/line ... aspx#ss-sz ?
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Meduza wrote:Have you thought about using off-the-shelf spline shafts instead of the square shaft and the printed adapters?

Something like this: http://www.haydonkerk.com/products/line ... aspx#ss-sz ?

Hi ! Yes I thought, but it's impossible to find a standard 4mm OD spline shaft more than 300mm length, the price also is very hight something around 250 € the unit after asking :shock:
So I desingned my own compact system, 3D possibility printing housing parts ,50€ prototype cost ! and it's free maintenance, no grease, no oil .
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

:-D Hi Gudo, good work, please keep us updated with your developments
That dual head video is very nice.
Are you using Solidworks by the way for your CAD?
Last edited by Izzy on January 1st, 2017, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

thanks Izzy, I'll do ;-)
@ Gr5, thanks ! I like the foehnsturm dual head solution, may be that will open a interesting possibility :?: one idea always bring another new idea :idea:
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Very fascinating solution. I would love to see what something printed from the far left hand corner to the near right hand corner (essentially along the natural axis of the rod) looks like, whether the torque on the rod results in any feed differences from the nearest to the furthest positions.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

danilius wrote:Very fascinating solution. I would love to see what something printed from the far left hand corner to the near right hand corner (essentially along the natural axis of the rod) looks like, whether the torque on the rod results in any feed differences from the nearest to the furthest positions.
Hi Danilius !
Good idea ! ;-) I'll test something only in this way and we will see !
darkdvd
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2/UM2+

Post by darkdvd »

The year 2017 promises to be a great year for the UM2 !
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Izzy wrote: That dual head video is very nice.
Are you using Solidworks by the way for your CAD?
Hi Izzy, thanks
I use Inventor, it'sreally handy for real-time animation with the mouse

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”