Ultimaker 2 pancake stepper direct drive

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Ultimaker 2 pancake stepper direct drive

Post by Neotko »

Anders Olsson wrote:
Another thing that I have been thinking about lately is if one should consider a two motor setup, where there is an extra motor that feeds the filament of the spool and into the bowden. If the pancake stepper always had to use about the same force pulling the filament one would have much less slipping issues I believe.
I think for that we would need a new pcb/firmware, that allows mirror mode. Replicape has that on the firmware/hardware (I can't find the info where this was show). But for feeder mirror there's some http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin_X2_firmware info
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

I was thinking more of a "stupid" device, like a filament winder, but the other way around.
Just a speed controlled motor that unwinds the filament into a loop with a filament position sensor to control it.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

It turns out my direct drive will be needed for printing tungsten filament soon, so I suppose I should try to improve the direct feeder a bit before the filament arrives :-)

One thing I have to decide very soon is whether to go for the gear now, or just make an updated version with an improved knurled shaft.

Another thing that has been on my mind for some time is that I really would like a mounting system where one just push and hold a button to remove the whole feeder from the print head. It would be very convenient not to have to handle screws when for example doing the atomic cleaning.
It should be possible to design something like that which is also printable, but it is quite a challenge.
One really needs to keep in mind how to orient things to use the strength of the plastic in an optimal way.
And the mounting device has to have zero play when mounted and be very reliable, or things can go really bad.

I imagine one could make something that works a bit like the quick mounting for excavator buckets (the safe version used in Scandinavia).
Or should I just give up this idea and go for some old fashion reliable screws? :-)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Tungsten Filament... you really do the most extreme 3d printing i know of :-)
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

Tungsten filament should not be too difficult, it is still a powder mixed with a plastic and it is the plastic that melts. The weight is great!

I have a real tungsten print...
it was a trade with someone from the medical devision of Philips; he asked if they could print one of my ring designs for display at fairs. He said that their examples where so boring (to look at, they were very intricate parts of a machine). In return I got 2 printed tungsten rings :-D

In the photo from left to right:
Titanium (9.2 grams) - Tungsten (39.4 grams) - Cobalt Chromium (18.9 grams)
titanium-tungsten-cobalt chromium
titanium-tungsten-cobalt chromium
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

I wonder why the titanium didn't go "rainbow" during the process of printing.
PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

to color titanium it needs a specific temperature range. I guess that the melting point as way over that...
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I like the metal prints! Saves me painting a plastic part to look metallic in my droid :)
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Wouldn't mind having a metal printer either, but I don't think it's something you can use in a room in your house though :)
PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

they are not that big, about the size of a big fridge... but $$$$$$$$$$ as well as the prints $$$$$$
Last edited by PeggyB on March 8th, 2016, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

Well, if someone wants a metal printer i actually have one for sale at the very modest price of 6000€, It is not in working condition right now, partly because of a broken HDD and partly since it has been sittning in storage for a few years so it probably need some service and calibration... It is a EOS Eosint M250x and did cost a huge sum of money when it was new :) 100+kg of materials are included.

It is the size of a fridge... If you have a _very_ large fridge.

PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

I have seen one about a third your size last week, there are more models around. And compared to an american fridge.. ;-)
But yours looks like a beast... Why is it not worth for you to get it back to work?
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

It was kind of a impulse buy by some of us at Stockholm Makerspace, i belive we did see the ad and crowdfunded the needed money to get it in about 24h, since everyone thought it was super cool with a metal printer :p

Later we realized that we do not actually have anywhere suitable to put it in the Makerspace, we cannot even get it in actually (we are in a basement with stairs and narrow doorways), and now it has just been sittning in our storage for about two years without any progress... Better sell it then to reclaim some of the money and a lot of space that can be used for something else.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Ah in America we call that the "More money than sense" club on impulse buys like that!
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

LePaul wrote:"More money than sense"
Off-topic: Rumors have it that this is quite popular in the USA right now (no, I didn't mention the name 'Trump').

Maybe you have to store it another few years and then sell it for a fortune to a 3D printing museum? Anyway: good luck!

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”