Dual extrusion?

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Dual extrusion?

Post by LePaul »

Came across this...

Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Dual extrusion?

Post by Neotko »

Sam from Creatr sent me a pair of mails asking if I was interested on a cheaper pack to check it. The only extra info I got it's that

Quote from Sam (creatr) mail:
"Yes, we actually had a 300W PSU made specially but was not good for the board.
We use 70W heater cartridges!"

So 70W heayer. Basically they put a heat sink + fan in front of the hotend, and push as much heat power as they want, this way they can cool down fast the second hotend while they can overcome the heatsink and heat the other. Not a bad idea to implement it, but I think this could be done easier with an smaller olson + heat sink and just 35W heaters. Or just using the analog board connections to make a dual fan that turns on/off to cool down the specific hotend by just a gcode.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

For dual extrusion I am more convinced by the approach taken by BCN3D for their Sigma...

Ideally I would like to see a Sigma with direct extrusion ;)

(And like Manuel, they are from Barcelona)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

They are printing on blue tape, is this because they use too much power for the head that they cannot use the heated bed?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Meduza wrote:They are printing on blue tape, is this because they use too much power for the head that they cannot use the heated bed?
Exactly
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Amedee wrote:For dual extrusion I am more convinced by the approach taken by BCN3D for their Sigma...

Ideally I would like to see a Sigma with direct extrusion ;)

(And like Manuel, they are from Barcelona)
Indeed. I almost buy one formy eyeglasses proyect but since so far I don't need the dual I'll wait to see what other develop.

Dual hotend totally separated with a correct wipe tool should be the way to go indeed.

Edit: And it would be nice a real improvement on the firmware tools to do the calibration. Bcn sigma as far as I saw it has that. (But it's also a bit manual)
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

I have a dual head on my UMO but not the way mounted as suggested by UM (ok, don´t say a word... I know...).
the calibration of the two nozzels to be well aligned is some pain in the a... so I´m always try to get ideas from other solutions to improve it.

Regarding the approach of ultireatr the time will show if it is reliable, well designed and worth... we will see... :-)

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”