Water cooled hotend

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Water cooled hotend

Post by Izzy »

Not wanting to put cat in the pigeon loft, but what about using some of the metal infused filament to print a redesigned bottom plate with integral cooling gallery, how would it perform?
And go ...... :ugeek:
Roland
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker2 Dual head

Post by Roland »

Hi Paul,
yes we have a machine to test customer applications. it has loading cell and 2 5xmilling modules.
This machines are made for mid and high volume productions.
Attachments
IMG_8229.JPG
Roland
Reactions:

Post by Roland »

Izzy wrote:Not wanting to put cat in the pigeon loft, but what about using some of the metal infused filament to print a redesigned bottom plate with integral cooling gallery, how would it perform?
And go ...... :ugeek:

Maybe you can print something like that, but remember there are the heater(s) underneath it.
it could be a problem in long term use. Try it you will find out..
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Roland wrote:Hi Paul,
yes we have a machine to test customer applications. it has loading cell and 2 5xmilling modules.
This machines are made for mid and high volume productions.
Boy do I have some R2 drawings I'd like to see you CNC with that :)
Roland
Reactions:

Post by Roland »

That would be small... the maximum size is 200 x 200 x 200 mm
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

:O!
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Have you seen the heater of this hotend? http://deltaprintr.com/shop/parts-and-a ... ni-hotend/
If that kind of heater actually exists and works it could further reduce heating/cooling time and simplify the design significantly.
One could design it a bit more clever of course, but the idea of a heater like that is interesting I think.

Some of the previous product from Deltaprinr appears to have been released prematurely though, to say the least, and I was not exactly convinced by their approach on sapphire nozzles.
So one probably has to test that thing properly before concluding anything about that concept.

Premature components on the market is actually something that really bothers me right now by the way.
Many companies in the consumer market for 3D-printer accessories unfortunately seems to ignore the testing phase and focus on getting things on the market as quickly and as cheaply as possible. (Not to mention kickstater, where impossible products are marketed for impossibly low prices as a routine)
It is a dangerous development since releasing products that are not working properly can potentially bring down a whole product category by destroying the reputation for those products on a wider plane.

But anyway, if one actually can get hold of such a heater and it has reasonable quality and performance, it would be quite interesting I think :-)
Roland
Reactions:

Post by Roland »

Hi Anders,
...thats really quick, it takes 19 sec from 26 to 170 deg that's very fast.
The point of successful dual extrusion is to reduce temperature of inactive extruder at least by 40°.
On my UM2 I need with 25W heater 42sec and with 35W heater 30 sec, same temperature delta.
I found in special case of PLA when temperature isn't reduced the plastic in inactive tool head is dead, it comes out the extruder like sauce during next time of use.

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”