Upgrade kit available

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Upgrade kit available

Post by reibuehl »

The UM2 to UM2+ upgrade kit is available now:

https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/19939-lau ... ent=video2

Unfortunately Ultimaker has again refused to listen to its customers and will only sell it as on version for 400 €. So if you have bough an Olsson Block or got one already installed in your recently purchased UM2 you will pay for something you do not need :-(
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Re: Upgrade kit available

Post by PeggyB »

I believe it is mentioned somewhere that the separate items will be available at a later moment. So the focus is on the whole kit first.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

If you add taxes and shipping that brings us something like 500€ which is an expensive upgrade. Now you are getting a lot of parts for this price, so fair enough...

And the rest is probably sales strategy: first the printer, then the kit and eventually the parts.

We can argue on the details, but it is nice to see they have an upgrade path. Most companies would say: buy a new printer ;)
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Amedee wrote: We can argue on the details, but it is nice to see they have an upgrade path. Most companies would say: buy a new printer ;)
...or they would say: here are all the parts, go ahead an buy what you need. And äähh... there is a bundle for everything also :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

martin-bienz wrote: ...or they would say: here are all the parts, go ahead an buy what you need. And äähh... there is a bundle for everything also :)
Exactly! Getting spare parts from Ultimaker has in my experience always been a nightmare. I once lost the spring in my feeder. In the end it was faster (and cheaper! ) to find the original manufacturer of that spring and order 3 such springs from them - and they usually do not sell to end customers.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

The separate parts will become available to buy as spares from Ultimaker distributors in the future, like most every other Ultimaker part, even if it not is in your local reseller's web store they can get it for you if you request it, be aware of that you now should make that request to your local reseller rather than directly to ultimaker.

Right now all the produced parts are going into production of new UM2+ printers and Upgrade kits, so not even the distributors get to order more than the minimal amounts needed to do repairs.

I believe the upgrade kits actually are very nice, and that making it all pre mounted really is the right thing to do, my brother who got some technical knowledge and know how to handle a screwdriver, but have done no 3d printer mods and just learned how to make his first prints managed to upgrade my UM2 in about one hour successfully without help.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I do not criticize that they offer an all in one upgrade kit. I criticize that they offer it just in one version. I really hope that 3DVerkstan will have the "spare parts" available before the not so local "resellers" on aliexpress have them in stock.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

They really really should make a umo++ with that upgrade in it. My plan anyhow it's to finish my little geared feeder (inspired in meduza's pulley gear addon) and install a china clone um2 (100€ but who knows if it will work...). But if works, I can upgrade my 3 umo's+ for 360€ to um2cloned =)

I should stop buying stuff from china... But so far im on a 50% of good stuff from there :D

Aliexpress hotend clone, it's only the hotend (that's what I bough) and it's 100€ and it doesn't say if the pt100/heater comes (probably not). In the end the upgrade kit price if you looks at it closely it's very very nice.
chopmeister
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original rev.3

Post by chopmeister »

I guess it's a nice upgrade, and I may be wrong, but I would never, ever, ever dish out 400+ Eur (with shipping and taxes probably more than 500, and I can almost make a complete and decent printer for that amount) for something like this. It seems way overpriced, but that's the same with all UM accessories I suppose. Besides, if we were fair, they should have given the extruder upgrade cheaper just because all the nightmares the users had with the dysfunctional extruder on the first batch of UM2s.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

@chopmeister: on the other hand you are a hardcore user of the kind that is used to design your own upgrades (and does so with great success), while many users would consider swapping out a temperature sensor a major undertakning.

And yes, the upgrade kit is quite nice, i have been printing with my UM2+ for about five months now and it has been the most trouble-free printer i ever handled :-)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

@Meduza: Does 3DVerkstan already know when they will get "spare parts". I would like to upgrade to the new extruder only and would need only these parts.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

@reibuehl: No, i do not think we have a date yet.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

It is a logical step on their part. In the end, we're talking about UM2, not UMO. Just compare the number of sold printers and the number of registered users on the UMforum, and everything will fall into place. Especially because most of us have installed these or other modifications that are included with the upgrade. And yes, i don't like new feeder and new shroud. In comparison with the |Robert|'s feeder and shroud by Lanbern they lose, I think.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

I think technically the upgrade it's great and born from all the community problems.

But I don't like the communication they used.

Many people complained about the feeder. They always said it's ok. But now they change the motor feeder model.

The spring was always not a problem. They now change yo a fixed size to fix it. But they don't say that the spring was a problem or why.

And some other stuff. Like the ptfe life, now they use tfm.

So yes, they changed it for um2+. And for the users post and problems they did fix the problematic parts. But also, even with a very nice price (it really is) they should have stock all the key problematic parts separated on their shop at the time of releasing the um2+. Why? Because not every user has the same problems. Not everyone need to print fast, some users already went to the trouble of learing to mod their machines to use olsson block.

So yes. It's nice. But a full answer and availability of the key parts, would have been more 'ok'.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm a bit surprised at the price too, but it also looks like that have pre-installed as many items as they can to assist the upgrade chore

Neotko makes some good points. What if you already have the Olsson block? What if you only need some but not all the parts in the upgrade?

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”