Fan shroud upgrade

Discussion of the Ultimaker Original and Ultimaker Original + (kit and pre-assembled) printers
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Fan shroud upgrade

Post by Neotko »

UMO+ and UMO are quite alike. I been even thinking that it should be pretty easy to use a um2 head on umo. You have a point to get constant airflow for the 5v fan, you can use 3mm size heat sensor to plug on where the pt100 goes, and I bet that the 24V heater would work on the 19V heater plug of umo... I wonder why noone tried :D On my mind seems pretty easy.

About the 50mm fan pwm, no idea sorry, but for 24v there are many (umo+ ones)
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:Guys one question... UMO works with 19V right? What's the maximum load it can handle?
What are you calling 'load'? this is not an electrical unit of measure ;)

If it is about the input voltage, the 1.5.x boards work in the 15-19v range, so 19v is the maximum
If it is about the fan current, we should look at the transistor (may vary, depending on the board version)
Neotko wrote:Also, should 24V fans (the ones umo+ uses) work on umo? UMO+ default fans work perfect with the pwm, so the little difference in V it might just make them work a %? less? Just brainstorming.
Right. For a dual fan setup, I would go with 2x24v in parallel (or 2x12v in series, but PWM fans in series are not always great)
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Perhaps this one? Wire leads tho...which is fine, soldering required.

Right size...seems to show two wires and PWM

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Del ... Qmbg%3d%3d
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

LePaul wrote:I think the splice failed on the second fan, since plugging direct 12v battery didn't spin it
If your fan does not spin with a 12v battery, it is dead (if it is a 'strict' 12v the 19v of the Ultimaker might have killed it -- I never understood why they used 12v fans on the UMO)
LePaul wrote: But even if it did, you're saying it would not have worked. Ok, but aren't PWM fans 3 wire, not 2?
No! the 3rd wire is a speed sensor to tell how fast the fan is spinning.
And on top of that, you cannot even assume that if it has 3 wires it is PWM -- I just made that experience with a small water pump: I am able to tell how fast it runs, but as soon as the PWM falls under 90% it just stops...
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:UMO+ and UMO are quite alike. I been even thinking that it should be pretty easy to use a um2 head on umo. You have a point to get constant airflow for the 5v fan, you can use 3mm size heat sensor to plug on where the pt100 goes, and I bet that the 24V heater would work on the 19V heater plug of umo... I wonder why noone tried :D On my mind seems pretty easy.
Heater is no issue, it is just takes longer to heat. For the 5v, again be careful. On my 1.5.3 board I cannot (I can't even power my ulticontroller with it)
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

LePaul wrote:Perhaps this one? Wire leads tho...which is fine, soldering required.

Right size...seems to show two wires and PWM

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Del ... Qmbg%3d%3d
Looks good.
It says with 'Speed Sensor (Tach)', so it's 3 wires, but that's not an issue.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Amedee for load I mean the max amps, I remember to saw some posts about the umo 1.5 transistor going boom easily. (Same happens on umo+ if more than 200mA are in use)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Okay, I am learning! I am getting more progress than when I asked at UM

So just don't use the third wire at all....as you mentioned earlier

Is 1.2w too high?

Edit: Here's the search results page...so you can see what I am sorting through I appreciate your help

http://www.mouser.com/Thermal-Managemen ... x2Z1yww2yq
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Neotko wrote:Well I really can't find it. But this it's the post where I did test the anders olsson nozzle with a dual fan setup.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1065 ... ply-114954

Labern says something really interesting about the airflow and distance, but to make a good good good fan cap you need a airflow simulator.

Amedee XDDD
Lance gave such estimates of efficiency between a stock and its shroud design
The original airflow using the original fan shroud has an air flow of 0.6m/s
My design with the Olsson block has an air flow of 2.5m/s so a whole lot better.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:Amedee for load I mean the max amps, I remember to saw some posts about the umo 1.5 transistor going boom easily. (Same happens on umo+ if more than 200mA are in use)
From the 1.5.7 schematics, we have a BD679
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 16.20.12.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 16.20.12.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 13388 times
So we should be good for 4A which is way more that what we need.
The BDxxx series also integrates a flyback diode

Edit: Note that with the 1K resistor we limit the current on the base to something like 2.5mA, so with the 750 gain of the BD679 we probably should not go beyond 1.5A to be sure we are at saturation. But still, plenty of room.
Last edited by Amedee on February 23rd, 2016, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

PWM is just a way to dim the voltage. So unless the fan shuts down under 11V or something, there is no such thing as a non pwm fan. PWN fans are usually the fans with 4 wires right, the yellow being signal, or tacho,and the 4th or internal 'pwn'?
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Titus wrote:PWM is just a way to dim the voltage. So unless the fan shuts down under 11V or something, there is no such thing as a non pwm fan. PWN fans are usually the fans with 3 wires right, the yellow being signal, or internal 'pwn'.
This is not true.

PMW does NOT dim the voltage, it gives pulses of the maximal voltage. So at 50% you do not have 50% of the voltage, you do have the nominal voltage 50% of the time.

Fans are just more than a motor, there is a bit of electronic and some of them do not like PWM. It is true that most of them will work, but there is no guarantee they will, so in doubt, you either have to try or get one which is pwn certified.

The 3 wires fan, the yellow is not the signal, it is the tachometer, there is hall effect sensor in the fan which generates pulses wen it spins.

The 4 wires fans do have a signal (and a tacho).

If you don't trust me I can make a video with what I have here ;)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Just tell me which fan you think I should order :)
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

LePaul, I can feel your misery... I'm in exactly the same position but for 30x30mm fans... thought of trying some Delta fans as well... but honestly, one might kill them instantly...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Dim3nsioneer wrote:LePaul, I can feel your misery... I'm in exactly the same position but for 30x30mm fans... thought of trying some Delta fans as well... but honestly, one might kill them instantly...
Kill instantly? How so?

Return to “Ultimaker Original & Ultimaker Original +”