Fan shroud upgrade

Discussion of the Ultimaker Original and Ultimaker Original + (kit and pre-assembled) printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Fan shroud upgrade

Post by LePaul »

Follow up questions...

Is there anything I can wrap around the two power leads to reduce PWM noise? Anything I could find locally that isn't too exotic?

Should I be looking for less powerful fans (CFM) ?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Print test set them to 255.. Please explain or edit the gcode to change the fan setting.

Also... Pleaseee read me fullyyyy

Get a umo+ board and a um2 hotend and you can change all your printer to umo+2. Umo bed kit already give you the correct power supply and bed. If you ever plan yo upgrade your machine.

The airflow of your fan cfm it's the same as mine more or less but again you are using a 12v fan on a 19v fan. So expect the unexpected. Also if you read ultimaker post about fans (on forum) a guy made a comment of what to look for pwm fans. But it's something that isnt easy to find and even on specs docs sometimes it doesn't show.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Neo....I know you love to experiment....

...But I am desperately way behind in printing my BB-8 project. I have spent so much time chasing down problems (heated bed upgrade with complications, belt/pulley issues, etc) that I have little to show for progress.

Honestly, if I were to invest any more money, I would just sell the motorcycle, buy an Ultimaker 2+ Extended and get printing :) I'm just trying to make do with what I have and doing some of the clever upgrades you guys have suggested.

I really really really want to be printing and less time debugging the machine :)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Then. If you want I can make you a single head fancap just for you. To remove the fan noise and keep the fan air from bouncing back. It won't be perfectly symmetrical but will solve your problems.

Want it? If so, I do it tonight, very fast and easy to do I just have 3 ideas of how to do it nicely.

Please make a frontal photo of your setup (as much flat shot as possible). And confirm me the fan size x/y/z. I'll do it so you can reuse all except the fancap.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well let's see if we can make what we have work first. We've got a lot of hours into this and I'd hate to give up so soon

Also, if you want to make some changes on your shroud document on Ultimaker...I would suggest more side pictures that detail to order of assembly. The animated one shows from a head-on view, so you do not know the part orientation. A few extra steps showing that detail will make it easier for the next person :)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Umm. There's only one posible orientation if the hotend it's on the front right. The top left/right 3point reference marks where it goes the hotend. So, how can it be installed otherway?

Edit:
There's also rotating view of the fancap assembled.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

I'll add the 'Slow PWM' option to my builder.
As I already have that problem with my original Ultimaker fan I'll see immediately if it helps or not...

My shroud is print almost done, but I'll upgrade the UMO+ first ;)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Neotko wrote:Umm. There's only one posible orientation if the hotend it's on the front right. The top left/right 3point reference marks where it goes the hotend. So, how can it be installed otherway?

Edit:
There's also rotating view of the fancap assembled.
Well just ideas...if you want to leave it be, that's up to you. I was confused on the alignment.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:Umm. There's only one posible orientation if the hotend it's on the front right. The top left/right 3point reference marks where it goes the hotend. So, how can it be installed otherway?
I actually did mine straight. As I have the same shims on the 4 screws, there is no need to have one side higher than the other. Also I leave a small gap on the top part to allow some play when the screws are loose, so at the end it doesn't really matter.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Print came OK, now it's the matter of putting everything together and see how it goes with nGen...
pic-002.jpg
pic-001.jpg
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Amedee wrote:Print came OK, now it's the matter of putting everything together and see how it goes with nGen...
If you fell 'brave'. I just published an untested 40x40 fancap based on my just finished umo/um2 fancap.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2052 ... ply-146939
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I have a dumb question....(you see if I preface with that, you guys all smile!)

The wiring from the fan...should I replace that with some shielded/twisted wire instead of the stranded wire that is in there?

Just trying to solve the PWM noise issue!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Amedee wrote:Print came OK, now it's the matter of putting everything together and see how it goes with nGen...
Were you able to do that without fan or minimal?

Not a bad print
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well a Facebook friend made a suggestion...remove the shrinktubing, twist the wires up...then (I guess), use electrical tape to hold it all together?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Or more shrinking tube. Even if cut in two pieces, while hot if they are compressed they fuse. So you can open a tube, clamp the wires and apply heat, then you clamp the shrinking tube while hot with a plier.

Return to “Ultimaker Original & Ultimaker Original +”