Fan shroud upgrade

Discussion of the Ultimaker Original and Ultimaker Original + (kit and pre-assembled) printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Fan shroud upgrade

Post by LePaul »

Okay, so none of the Delta fans look promising? I can get those quick

The model you mention are in China and will take quite some time to arrive. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FONSONING-FSY50 ... 1244941544)
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

@Peggy, i did a similar shroud made of alu for my umo, but with 4 25x25mm fans.works great up to now. If you like, take a look at youmagine - posted it there.
The only negative effect is that the air is not equally spread around the nozzle.

Anyway, let us know your experiece! :-)
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

I have seen it! when working on this I looked at all the available designs... but 4 of them, isn't that al lot?? (and a lot of tape..) I found that two smaller ones are already more then one.

I didn't want to channel the airflow close to the nozzle, because the printhead moves away from the printed spot fast in all directions and pointing it to the nozzle only, it would miss the area where the cooling is needed. So, I was aiming at a large cooling area and by misaligning the fans, hoping to get a better distribution. If you feel that the heated bed cools to much from this, you can always cover it with cardboard or so for insulation. If I have really warping models, I use a large brim and tape the brim to the bed after the first layer is done..
Like I said, nothing scientific, just logic (to me). Maybe if it got really tested, it' all bogus...... but as long you are happy with your setup, don't change it!
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Peggy B, I really like the simplicity of your alu shroud and I am going to make one just like that (as good as I can :)). Just thinking, could you not mount small, seperate fan ducts (nGen / XT :)) to the fans, something that would just direct the air flow a bit more straight to the print, rather than full on to the heated bead.
PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

sure, could be great also.
These ones aren't perfect either I guess, but like you said, I also like the simplicity. I always prefer adjustment possibilities, like bending them a bit up or down when necessary, and I like the transparency; not to have an enormous closed volume around the printhead. I like to see what is printed and to acces it with tweezers to remove bits of stranded filament or so.
This shroud is made of very thin aluminum, the space next right to the heater block is very small, it should not touch each other (I put a little piece of mica in between). Because it is thin it is resonates when not fastened tight enough. Normal screws loosen over time, so I put little tubes and a lock nut on them. The tubes are there to shorten the crew length in case the nozzle needs to be replaced and the shroud has to be taken of.
And of coarse the first time I used them it hit a print on the right.....forgot about the extra space it needed.....
Attachments
2016-02-26 11.48.51.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Since I am impatient....

Wired the right fan to long wires and I can directly hook to 12v power after first layer manually. :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

PeggyB wrote:always get confused with the series/paralel thing....., thanks for the explanation!
I choose smaller fans because I could shift them both a little out of the center, so the left one is a little to the front and the right a little to the back.
So the air would not 'clash' in the middle. Nothing calculated, nothing tested, just rational thinking, and I am happy with the setup.
2016-02-25 08.17.18.jpg
uitslag2.png
Do you have that as a DXF or cad file?

I'm one hour into a 6 hour print and I have drooooping fan shrouds. Ahhhh. I've use solid core wire to hoist them up some but they won't last long

I could use the cnc machine to cute that out of thin aluminum so long as it fits 50mm fans
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Cheap wire to secure drooping fans! Ahhhh
image.jpeg
PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

sure, but the drawing is for 40 mm fans, the aluminum thickness is 0.5 mm because next right to the heater block/peek is the narrowest part.
You might redesign some details....

euhmm, can I attach dxf's??
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Or zip it
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well today's fun project will be to see if we can re-draw that for the fans I have, then CNC then bend this fella up to fit my printer....maybe? Will post pics soon
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well missing measurements all we can do is guess

Hoping Peggy can make that into a drawing file and zip it :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Found the UMO blueprints and using the spacing of the print head threaded rod holes as a guide! Cnc machine churning away
PeggyB
Reactions:

Post by PeggyB »

here it is
the aluminum is cut and a little sawing (jeweler stuff) and then bend, the dents indicate where to bend
Good luck!
uitslag3.dxf.zip
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Thanks!

I think I may go the shorter path and not make a large piece that wraps around the print head. Instead, just getting the right hole spacing for the fans and threaded rods, then hanging two pieces of metal on each side. Then securing in place and mounting the fans.

Return to “Ultimaker Original & Ultimaker Original +”