E3D V6 heater cartridge on UMO

Discussion of the Ultimaker Original and Ultimaker Original + (kit and pre-assembled) printers
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

E3D V6 heater cartridge on UMO

Post by antiklesys »

Does anyone know if an E3V V6 24V heater cartridge on an UMO (19v powered) will still work fine?
My understanding is that it'll take a bit longer to heat up, but should work without any issues.

Anyone can confirm this or can add additional insights?
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: E3D V6 heater cartridge on UMO

Post by Amedee »

Right, it will work fine, just will take longer to heat up.

I have one in my toolbox that I never mounted, but just tested the heater and there was no issue.

You have basically 3 options for E3D on UMO:
  1. Use the UMO heater block with the thermocouple -- no problem there, limit in temp is the one of the thermocouple which is quite good
  2. E3d 24v block with their thermistor (you can't go too warm with that combo) -- Pullup resistor required
  3. E3d 24v block with their PT 100 and adapter (no practical temperature limit)
Last edited by Amedee on June 13th, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

What's benefits of e3d v6 on ultimaker? Especially on UM2.
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

ivan.akapulko wrote:What's benefits of e3d v6 on ultimaker? Especially on UM2.
Well here I was just talking about an UMO (not 2 and not UMO+)

The benefit is actually the form factor.
Compared to the UMO heater cartridge, E3D's got a smaller form factor (5mm shorter) which allows for a better mounting of the fans.
Running a UMO with an E3D hot-end and original heater block works well, but then it's a pain to mount the fans.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

The main reason my E3d is still in the box is that the main advantage I see is the use for higher temperatures and since I still don't have a heated bed on my UMO :roll:
That limits the printer basically to to PLA, and for that the 3mm E3d is not ideal, so the interest is quite limited at the moment.

So maybe one day when I'll upgrade the bed...
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I hope your heated bed upgrade kit is of better quality than mine was.

I don't know why but unlike my UMO kit, where everything was bagged and labeled nicely, I got a mess of parts.

Since metric isn't native to me, having the individual screws packaged by height was nice. Instead, my kit had random screws in different bags, requiring me to use the caliper to measure the screws...then use them per the instructions. I found I was short some metric bits and had to source them at the hardware store, where metric isn't abundant but what they do have is expensive.

And the instructions were vague in areas, which I pointed out to Ultimaker. (But, again, it was pointed out to me I should feel free to upgrade them since everything is open source. Well, that's nice...but I feel the manufacturer would like to know of errors and correct them!)

And of course, learning how to print with a heated bed as it is an entirely different experience than blue tape!
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

(We are hijacking this thread but let me close the loop on this ;) )
One of the reasons I am not crossing the bridge for the heated bed is that my UMO is a quite old one with the 1.5.3 board with its limitations (it should support the upgrade though), but I would replace the board as well. At the end it makes an expensive upgrade, given the fact I also have an UMO+ when I really need the heated bed. So most probably it will stay in its current state and the E3d will stay on the cupboard :roll:
(Or maybe one day I'll really go south and install custom electronics and a custom heated bed 8-) )
Frederik
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original plus

Post by Frederik »

I ordered various parts to convert my machine to the E3D hotend including a nicely machined aluminum block from far of lands over a year ago. The X-Y block is somewhat similar to this:Link to eBay

Being fed up with my original hotend munching through lots of teflon insulator inserts (PLA eating away and deforming the inserts fast!) I wanted to move to an all metal hotend.
Sadly I never really got it to work and went back to the original setup, buying the cheap chinesium grade nozzles, inserts and threaded tubes.

I had massive problems controlling the heating zone, my guess is the little fan cooling the sink was not getting enough current. I used a 5V voltage regulator I had in my spare parts box to hook up the fan to the original 12V line. Also I did not change the thermocouple setup and heating cartridge, but adapted the original parts because I was a little lazy and also to be in a position where I could simply revert my changes if things went south - as they did :)
For me it simply was not worth the time putting into getting everything up and running - let alone the money I already spent.

Since I am mostly printing PETG now, the teflon insert issue seems to have gotten much better and sourcing cheap inserts via Alibaba helps to. So right now, there is no real need for me to try switching to the E3Dv6 again. But if I did, I would set it up on a machine that I do not really need to produce anything on for the next couple of weeks. Also, I remember having trouble adapting the v6 hotend to the original bowden tube. I bought the 3mm filament bowden version and was supplied with a very flimsy bowden tube with it (something like 4mm OD, 3mm ID). I can not really say if I got a genuine E3D however. Bought it from a german 3D printing store and got it delivered OEM style - no packaging, no datasheet,... the build quality felt decent though.

Regards,
Frederik

OT: Hello @Amedee ! Lovely seeing you here :)

Return to “Ultimaker Original & Ultimaker Original +”