Odd issue recently

Creality brand 3D Printers!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Odd issue recently

Post by GrueMaster »

On two separate occasions with Octoprint, the printer would warm up and start printing the skirt, then shutdown both nozzle and bed heaters while still printing (no first layer due to no heat). Stop/restart in Octoprint both times, no issues, so it isn't a gcode issue (Using Cura 3.0.4 to slice & dice).

Since these were both long prints (first was 28 hours, this one is 13 hours) and very random, I'm not sure where to look (printer or Octoprint). I've had dozens of successful prints in between.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Odd issue recently

Post by LePaul »

Let me ask you this...does your USB cable have ferrite cores on them?

I've read on the Octoprint groups of some concern about the cables being susceptible to motor/electronic noise
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Can't be that. Rasp Pi is on a 6" USB cable. Too short for EMI related issues. And it has only happened twice in ~20+ prints, with plenty of prints in between.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've run many long prints on my CR-10 with Octoprint, sliced with S3D

What version of Octoprint?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Octoprint is 1.3.5. Haven't modified the CR-10S (yet). Weird part is I cancel the print in Octoprint, clear the bed and reheat the tip to clean it off (it gets a bit gooey), restart the print in Octoprint, and everything is just fine. I'll try to see if I can capture a serial log next time I print something. Maybe that will shed some light on the issue.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I know their dev site is quite active and the developer responds quickly.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

LePaul wrote: November 11th, 2017, 4:47 pm Let me ask you this...does your USB cable have ferrite cores on them?

I've read on the Octoprint groups of some concern about the cables being susceptible to motor/electronic noise
The ferrite cores aren't usually the thing about USB cables. It is the fact that many USB cables don't have their shielding connected on both ends (or maybe don't have a shielding at all). A USB cable which is made to specifications does not need any ferrite cores. The thing is, not everyone cares about specifications...
I've had issues with a USB device that we develop. After some time someone had the glorious idea of checking the USB cable shielding - it was not connected. USB cable was nice and thick. Looked fine, but it was crap :P
This can be checked easily using a multimeter / continuity checker between both connector shells.

If your setup usually runs fine, it's most probably not a cable issue though. Unless you switched cables.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That's interesting. I know on the Octoprint site there's some conversations in there about cables and interference
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

It can be interference or GND bounce. Interference does of course have a much greater impact when the cable is not shielded (properly). Cable length also can make a difference, but USB2.0 cables are specified to be up to 4.8m long. A properly made cable should have no issues whatsoever at that length. The problem is, manufacturers don't always care about that and just use whatever cable they find on some surplus stock. A good way to go is to buy 3M cables from a source like Mouser.com. These are made to spec, and don't cost much.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

I buy my cables locally from https://www.pchcables.com/. I've known the owner for many years, and the cables are the same as what you would get from the other vendors, but without the overpriced packaging. And a 1' cable shouldn't have any problems. I have my Raspberry Pi sitting next to the printer, cables aren't wrapped together in a jumbled mess, or anything out of the ordinary. But since I have seen it only twice in the 3 months I have had this printer, it is very difficult to debug. Also, it doesn't happen on my 3DP-17 setup with another Raspberry Pi (although I have less time on it lately).
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've heard of the SD card slot coming loose on those but I wonder if you have a buggy USB connection? It might be worth opening the electronics box and seeing what's going on inside?

Return to “Creality Large Scale 3D Printers”