Is a CR-10 a good printer for beginners?

Creality brand 3D Printers!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Is a CR-10 a good printer for beginners?

Post by LePaul »

My latest video....

GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Is a CR-10 a good printer for beginners?

Post by GrueMaster »

Might have wanted more of your printers in the background, especially the CR-10. Having only the Ultimaker, next to a stack of dishes and other clutter doesn't come across as well.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Dishes and clutter? Those were 3d printed parts in the back ground
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Sorry, looked like a couple of dishes when viewing on my tablet. Back home on my 24" monitor, now I see the difference. Still, you don't show your CR-10 at all. IMO, it is better to actually feature the printer you are reviewing.

Kind of like Apple fans degrading Android when they have never used it, other than poking at a friends.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I show pictures/clips of my CR-10 off screen (no room on my work desk)....I guess you should probably watch the video before offering more dumb criticism, eh? :)
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

First, let me start by saying I did not mean to offend you in any way. You asked for our opinions, I provided one. As you are the admin, feel free to delete it.

Second, I just watched the video start to finish for the 3rd time, full screen. I saw a warehouse full of Tevo Taranulas being prep'd for shipping, I saw a web ad for a CR-10, and I saw web sites detailing the Ultimaker support forums and the Prusia support forums. No where did I see a clip of your printer in action. You pointed off screen a few times to your CR-10, your FT-5, where your Tevo will go, and you mentioned building your original Ultimaker. You juggled a handfull of calibration cubes, and you talked about user comfort zones. All points I agree with. I'm just saying it would have been better to actually have the printer you are reviewing in frame or at least in the video (other than snaps of ads).

Again, this is just my opinion. I am not Siskel and Ebert, I am not a professional film critic, and I am not trying to cut you down. I've seen a few of your other videos and they're good. I just think this one could be better.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

What you missed was the photo of the CR-10 and FT-5 side by side. I use these printers, I really do. I have close to 700 hours on the CR-10

I don't mind your opinion but I was asking for feedback about the points made...you're citing things that aren't part of the points I was trying to make :) I mean, my workshop is a bit cluttered as most workshops are. It wasn't a review of the CR-10, just a conversation about it. And if it's ideal for the absolute beginner.

Many are driven by the low price point. And many think they are superior to the more expensive printers, such as the Ultimaker, Raise3D, Lulzbot, and many others. I don't think price is the only thing that should drive people. Everyone has their own comfort zone. Some people like to change the oil in their own cars and don't understand those who pay to have it done for them. My point was that each person needs to know their threshold and comfortzone. Is a cheap printer with virtually no official support going to work for them?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

I fully agree with your points, don't get me wrong. And I know from this group how much you use the CR-10. My only suggestion was that from the perspective of a youtube viewer that is searching for informed opinions on the CR-10, looking at your video is like listening to someone give a movie review based on the trailers without actually watching the movie (BTW: 5th time through w/o blinking, still didn't see your CR-10 or FT-5).

I only meant this to be constructive feedback. I value your advice and opinions on a lot of subjects, and am glad you run this forum (I keep pushing FB users here as a better resource for new users).

As to clutter, well, I won't speak to that. My 23'x23' woodshop has an isle wide enough to walk through (sideways). :P
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Oh, and as a Linux user/developer/supporter, I fully know the realities of 'official' support. I will say that sometimes you get better support from the community than the paid support though. More real world/real issues and their solutions.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I addressed your comments and others in this follow up

GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

HA, Love it! Great follow up.

So, to your main question you ask in your videos, I would agree that it depends on the person's aptitude towards self help and tinkering with things. If they are the type of person that doesn't know how to pump their own gas...no. Hell no. No printer exists for them.

For people that want to print out of the box, think Windows Vista was awesome, etc. again no.

The CR-10 is a great printer for people with some computer and engineering skills. It doesn't take much skill, but it does take some. And patience.

Oh, and do you need help with your 'dishes'? :P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I figured the video presentation would better show my sense of humor :)

My concern is I have seen a few people buy these, print lots of large pieces and discover the parts are out of spec. They wind up back at what should have been step 2 or 3...calibrating the printer. Instead, since it was their first printer and they assumed it was set to go out of the box, that's the result they got.
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by MTVDNA »

I like the videos! In the last one the balance of the sound seems off... I can only hear you on the left side of my headset, which is a bit distracting.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Ah I’ll have to check. Sometimes I forget to copy the mono feed from the wireless mic into stereo

My bad.
chi_jbs
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): CR-10S

Post by chi_jbs »

I seriously hope so, since I just went and bought one. (and YES, I am a total 3d noob.)

I hope to learn much here.
Thanks for the opportunity,
John (CHI_JBS)

Return to “Creality Large Scale 3D Printers”