First impressions....

Creality brand 3D Printers!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

First impressions....

Post by LePaul »

So far....

1) Arrived a bit banged up but not too bad
2) After tightening up the areas that needed fine tuning, we've been printing quite easily
3) The included filament is junk
4) The ColorFabb PLA Economy white prints very nicely!

The appeal is understandable...for $400~ish, you can print Ultimaker 2 level quality, much larger volume and 15 minutes of assembly.

That said...

I've never been comfortable with Chinese knock-off parts or even printers. Cheap may work but with more work than quality parts/pieces.

While this thing is printing great right now, I am curious how it will do so over the next few weeks/months.

The print head is very much a "no idea/cheap" model.

The frame is very solid and wheel/channel method is interesting. It works! And the dual Z upgrade is widely available (I have one). So any worries of a droop are resolved for under $100.

This little printer has a lot of potential for tweaking. Put a quality print head on it, dampen the steppers, upgrade (or replace) the electronics and who knows!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: First impressions....

Post by GrueMaster »

So ....
I setup my CR-10S this weekend with the help of my son. Can't get a level bed to save our lives. Reviews online show that the provided glass to be a crap shoot (some are great, others not so much). Mine is ~.4mm concave on both sides. Reading up on the manufacturing process for tempered glass, I now know why. I'm able to print small-ish prints close to the perimeter, but anything towards the center fails to stick, even at .2mm first layer. Will swing by Home Depot this week and pick up a pack of 12" mirrors as suggested on numerous sites.

The main differences between the Hictop CR-10 and the CR-10S (that I can tell):
  • Dual Z steppers
  • Filament Sensor
  • Updated Firmware
  • Fixed MicroSD slot(?)
Oh, and it is orange instead of blue.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

My bed wasn't too bad, so I still have the stock glass one.

I did at a sheet of LokBuild to mine but I would give some caution about it... It causes prints to adhere extremely well. So, if you have a print that needs that, it will do well. (My large, curved pieces that tend to lift should work great now) But pieces with a large surface area touching the build plate will require a hammer to knock them loose!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Wow. Went to Home Depot and bought a 6 pack of 12" mirrors (as seen on other forums). Swapped out the tempered glass with a single mirror, dialed it in for level, and prints are amazing. Printed Benchy, and it is the best one I have printed (better than my 3DP-17).

Still have some work to do (additional mods, Octopi, etc). Then I will use it to print the mods needed for my 3DP-17 to bring it up to par.
CR-10S_Benchy.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Mirror is hard to work with, I find. The reflection makes it a challenge to spot how good the first layer is going!

I doused mine with the diluted wood glue and that worked good. I tried the hairspray method too but found it to be no better.

Return to “Creality Large Scale 3D Printers”