As I mentioned, I would love to mix the reliability of the UM2+ print head/Olsson Block into something large scale
Let's say, for the Creality CR-10 since it is already a Bowden type printer (I'd also like to hack the FT-5 to use it, but that's another project)
A few thoughts on why...
- Use of 2.85 mm filament I already have
- Proven reliability of the UM2+ print head/Bowden setup
- Olsson Block for easy swap out of nozzles without a complete dismantling of the print head
- Higher quality components
- Ability to use higher temp filaments (ABS, PC, PETG, Nylon, etc.)
- Easy to maintain (Atomic Pull!)
On the UM2+ print head
- Sourcing materials
- Keep or replace existing extruder stepper motor? (BondTech?)
- Designing a mount for the print head to mount on the z carriage
- Electronics/firmware challenges?
- CR-10 is an open bed, not enclosed, may make bed temps a challenge for higher temp materials...work on that once we get there!
I'm looking around for a CAD drawing of the CR-10, or just the z carriage the stock print head mounts on. It wouldn't be too difficult for me to mill a new one once I have the data.
Creality CR-10 series 3D printers
1 post • Page 1 of 1