Paul's FT-5 Build

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Paul's FT-5 Build

Post by LePaul »

Pancakes arrive....ordered Anti-Backlash Nuts

I forgot to snap a photo of the pancake motors but wow, small!

And with dual z's lead screws, I read of a few others having some issues with their Prusas and other printers having some sag....so I thought this would be a worth while add-on. Bought these from FolgerTech. I wonder why they don't include these in the kits?

Either way....cheap upgrade
backlash.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Update - at a pause...

I want to water jet the melamine parts out of aluminum, but the offer I had from the school seems to have been a fake gesture.

And that's how it has been working for the school. Many people advise me to ask this department or that specialty group for my projects. I do so and either never hear back....or told "We can't compete with businesses". Which leaves me wondering why these guys continue to make these suggestions!

I know Samurai is making drawings of the remaining melamine parts, so I don't know what tweaks he is inventing :)

I also ordered a E3D Aero upgrade for my Titan/e3Dv6 combo.

Also, given all the scary photos I have seen of burnt up electronic connections, I think I am going to steer further away from stock and go with the Duet wifi and 7 inch touch screen.

There's a fair amount of discussion about building completely stock, then upgrade once everything is tuned in. But that seems like a lot of construction, tear down, then re-building.
bwaslo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folgertech FT-5

Post by bwaslo »

Paul,

I think the reason anti-backlast nuts aren't included in the FT-5 kit (other than minimizing costs) is that there isn't much if any need for them -- the rods they'd be on are vertical, gravity acts as the anti-backlash there.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I agree...and I went back and forth (no pun intended!) wondering if they were really needed. I suspect not really...but it's not going to harm anything having them in there
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've had a fun weekend

I've discovered two Ultimaker 3's running is a pretty big power draw...I think they are the source of some of the flickering lights and power anomalies I have had while they do a print job! The power specs on the website show the power requirements are the same but in reality, I am starting to think it's much higher. It's that or I need the Ghostbusters to eliminate the ghost!

I also had some time to piece together the frame of the Folger Tech FT-5 with my friend, Fred. The instructions are pretty bad and the bags and bags of accessories are just stuffed in large bags. A lot of time is wasted sorting through bags of screws. On one hand, sure, it's a cheap printer kit. On the other, it would be nice if they did what the Ultimaker kits do...everything is individually bagged with a label stating what is inside. And the directions are poor, at best. Again, it would be nice if they used drawings (again, like the Ultimaker instructions) versus low res photos. We wasted a lot of time scrolling back and forth trying to figure out what the directions were trying to describe and the end result.

Despite all of that, we got something done.
IMG_7131.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Although I would really prefer aluminum to replace the melamine pieces, for now, I am building with what is included (minus the 2020 corner and T pieces). Waterjetting the pieces like the baseplate and such would cost as much as the kit.

I am leaning towards just building it stock for now, then upgrading as I go. Perhaps gain some experience on this build, upgrade...or maybe buy another and have that be with the Duet Wifi, touchscreen, etc etc

Right now, I just really need a large printer making large pieces :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

A bit more progress
IMG_7133.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

The gantry setup was a lot more complicated than it should have been! I can't tell you how many times I zoom into the pictures in the instruction guide, hoping for better details.

Anyways!

A few curves thrown at me tonight since these pieces were replaced by some of the 713maker versions. I kept having to check what the 713parts were in relation to what they replace. (I wish, for quick reference, there was a picture with a label on what each aluminum part was) While I eventually figured it out, the story of this build seems to be wasting a lot of time searching for detailed information.

The roller bearing on the top of the gantry (that will be home to the print head) is grinding very badly. The others are super slick and smooth

https://youtu.be/g1WytuycDFo

But despite that, I shoved forward a bit more progress!
gantry install.jpg
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

The downside with "cheap" stuff, not only printers, are usually lack of documentation...cuz that cost time and money to produce.

However, you learn a lot while assembling it :)
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

Honestly the others also don't sound smooth, did you try moving both without the connection 2020 piece ?
it has been hit and miss with these sliders, you could check if any bearings are missing.

mine were all very smooth, but had a lot of wobble in them,
for the Y-axis it is not a problem, but for the printing gantry on the X-axis meant it moved more then 2mm at the nozzle.
I solved this eventually by cutting the 2020 in pieces and having 2 sliders together one rotated 45 degrees, this makes a very sturdy gantry :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I really wonder what the "upgrade" to those bearings would be? Something igus makes?

I know...I know....it's a cheap kit, cheap parts and so on. But I'm wondering what might be a better bearing
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Even the more expensive sliders have a small wobble, even a very minor one can result in a lot at a distance, it is better to use two together,
I was contemplating a V-Slot setup, but most sellers charge a lot for shipping.

I already had an extra slider with rail as a replacement, so I just used that :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I did the online chat with Igus and inquired about a replacement for the slider/slider rail that comes with the FT-5

They are sending new rails and one slider to test out.

Let me see if I can find the part #
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Here is my setup now, I just installed the Aero and still am deciding how the fan duct should look :)

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

TW-04-15 (carriages)
TS-04-15 (rails)

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”