Folgertech FT-5

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Re: Folgertech FT-5

Post by Xeno »

LePaul wrote:Are you running a stepper or a pancake on the extruder?

I'm planning to go with a pancake since I bought the ultra light extruder and he indicated for that and the E3Dv6, the pancake is the way to go (optimizing weight savings)
I'm using the standard stepper that came with the kit, the pancake is lighter, if you are going for maximum weight saving,
I can always change to the pancake if I think it will help :)

There was also talk about the CNC milling add-on, and I think the x- linear rail is not really made for this kind of forces,
maybe changing to a V-Slot setup for the x-axis might be an idea, not to difficult to implement.

Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Installed the Keenovo heatbed and SSR, this thing heats up fast :)

also made a new hotend / extruder support from aluminium, because the melanine one was wiggling a bit, but it did not resolve it, it is due to a very small wobble in the slider on top of the x-rail,
got a replacement, but it still had the same wobble, and I think it is the rail, I added some nylon buffers that run against the 2020 extrusion, and that seemed to help a lot, but it is only a temp fix.
a V-Slot setup looks a better idea even more.

Also did some test prints, and am now printing a high vase to see what how this turns out,
I do have some problems with thermal runaway, this happens when the fan gets above 35% :(, I even tried different fan setups, but I think I need to isolate the hotend from any wash from the fans,
I also noticed that the small E3D fan sucks air very hard, and a cold draft can be felt around the nozzle, and I have put some kapton tape around the fan intake, to minimize the airflow around the nozzle, I will probably print a small fan tube that fits over it with intake at the top.

to further resolve the thermal runaway, I'll will try to make a this metal plate that will isolate the hotend, attached to the side fans, with just a hole for the nozzle point to fit through.

[edit]
I used some Kapton tape to close off the area of the nozzle, so no air from the fans can blow to the hotend,
and I adjusted the settings for thermal runaway with a few degrees, I saw the hotbed and hotend during printing fluctuate up and down, with as much as 5 degrees, without even the fan being on.
I pushed the fan speed back to 100%, and it did not cause a thermal runaway, and back down to 80% (more quiet) it still runs fine :-D

LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I printed this setup last night...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1904552

I also went with these fans that gent suggested (his Thingiverse parts), which are Helid Solutions FN-SX04-42 Silent 4 40mm Case Fan
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

LePaul wrote:I printed this setup last night...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1904552

I also went with these fans that gent suggested (his Thingiverse parts), which are Helid Solutions FN-SX04-42 Silent 4 40mm Case Fan
Make sure you stick with the standard E3D hotend, this will not fit for the Vulcano hotend :)

The side fans don't make much noise when turned down a bit, but that little front E3D fan is just loud, a silent 24V option would be great,
That's one of the (few) downsides of running 24V, there are very few or none silent 24V fans, most are for 12V.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yes, no intention of running the Volcano since I do not intend to use monster nozzles and such

E3Dv6 + Titan Extruder

And I'll bite the bullet and just use 1.75mm filament
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

LePaul wrote:Yes, no intention of running the Volcano since I do not intend to use monster nozzles and such

E3Dv6 + Titan Extruder

And I'll bite the bullet and just use 1.75mm filament

I don't think it makes a difference either way, only when you want to print with an 1mm or larger nozzle you might loose pressure with 1.75 filament,
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

My printer arrived Monday

I haven't opened the box yet...

I know I want to replace the glueboard/non-metal pieces. I asked FolgerTech about obtaining a copy of the laser files in CAD format, so I can CNC my own pieces.

I see some have discussed using cable chain wire offered by Igus, which offers shielding and helps clean up the wiring mess (http://www.igus.com/Shop/Category/30073 ... l%20cables)
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

There are DXF files in the facebook files section, but you really have to check the accuracy, some parts don't have the correct measurements,
and all have decreases size to account for the laser width.

You might want to look at Walters adjusted parts he made to be printed, this can also be CNC'd in Alu
Walter's parts
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

LePaul wrote:My printer arrived Monday

I haven't opened the box yet...

I know I want to replace the glueboard/non-metal pieces. I asked FolgerTech about obtaining a copy of the laser files in CAD format, so I can CNC my own pieces.

I see some have discussed using cable chain wire offered by Igus, which offers shielding and helps clean up the wiring mess (http://www.igus.com/Shop/Category/30073 ... l%20cables)
I advise to open the box, and check all parts, if there is anything missing or broken,
FolgerTech is pretty good to send replacements.

And sorting all the screws and such can make it much more easy when assembling
canenac
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folger FT-5

Post by canenac »

I'm interested in the deal you all found. What were the upgrades? Where did you purchase? Do you know if they are still offering this deal?
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Discount code "comeback" will save 10% ($49)
Samurai
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): The Beast

Post by Samurai »

Got my brackets from robotdigg.com

I got some more items from them in it still came in under the price of US places with shipping. took about 10 days to get here.

Titan and BLTouch from Amazon /w Prime.

Blower fans from eBay.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Ben has noted some layer shifting from filament pulling. What sort of Spool/Feeder setup do you have, Xeno?
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

LePaul wrote:Ben has noted some layer shifting from filament pulling. What sort of Spool/Feeder setup do you have, Xeno?
I have an alu tube running on the top of the printer, with spools on it, for now
I do have some trouble with layer shifting, but I think it has more to do with badly adjust stepper voltage then pulling filament :)
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Almost there…
need to finish some details, but my FT5+ is done,
encased in 3mm acrylic and custom acrylic electronics box with a Blaze-Cut system.
and workspace now 400x300x500mm
the only problems I have is the print quality :), even after PID and E-step tuning, I still need to bring the flow back to 80% and temp much lower then I am used to, or otherwise it looks terrible.

Behold the mighty FT5+

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”