Folger FT5 feed problem

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Folger FT5 feed problem

Post by Lez0 »

Hi guys.
This is a new one and I have no idea what is causing it.
I have been having problem for about a week now with the printer, with different problems.
MINTEMP error please reset, Thermal runway error, and prints with gaps in them.
Well I have replaced the wiring to the Hotend with a 6 core cable that feeds the hotend and fan.
I have been all round making sure all the screws are tight. I have oiled the slides etc.
Now I have been trying to get the final print for a job.
The problem is the filament feed. If I have the hotend in the middle of the table I can feed the filament no problem.
If I move the hotend to the front of the table nothing comes out, all I hear is the motor slipping, making a soft clicking sound. Back to the centre it works OK!!!
The filament is not binding on anything, there is nothing I can see to stop the filament from coming out, I can push it by hand and it comes out.
This one has me beat, how can moving the hotend a few inches make a difference?
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance
Lez
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Folger FT5 feed problem

Post by LePaul »

Wow, you're up against everything....I'm glad it isn't just me for once!

I'm assuming you did some continuity testing with a multi-meter on those wires? I've been doing so on my i3 Mega build since I'm leery of those connector blocks (I'm trying to stay true to the instructions and do what they advise...but deep down, I really want to solder everything!)

Filament mounts on the 5 is tricky. I have my spool mounted up high but as the printer moves close to the side the mount is on, the filament has a tendency pop off the spool since there is suddenly so much slack. Then when the printer moves away again, that slack can lasso itself onto the frame or mount. I've been using a clip on piece for the spool to prevent the tangles from happening.

I can't recall...is this the stock extruder/hot end or something else?
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Hi Paul

Yes I am up against it, very frustrated. It's my turn to have all the problems.
I have the stock extruder/hot end and I have the spool up high in the middle. I have had problems with the spool unwinding, but I think I have that cured now, with a bit of string!!! This unfortunately isn't the problem.

I was doing a re-print of a failed one and I notice it was only printing in 3/4 of the bed, the top 1/4 was missing. The printer would stop and start at the same points each time.

It must be the wiring, I'll have to recheck it.
I am also getting a Thermal runway error, but only when the printer is stopped, work that one out.
I don't like been beaten by anything, but this ones getting close to being thrown in the bin.

Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I have the stock wiring and have been very leery of it...which is why I opted to solder in the wiring and not use his connectors to the extruder/hot end.

Grab the multi meter and check for continuity. I know others have opted to use CAT5 cabling...I was going to use ChainFlex (igus) wiring but I was impressed at the flexibility of the silicone wiring.
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I stripped down the wiring from the Hotend. This involves taking the printer out of the housing, not an any task.
I checked the wiring on the motor and it seemed Ok. After taking it out of the flexible ducting checking it again it was OK.
I wrapped insulation tape around the outside to help protect the cables, I finally got an error in the cable.
I will have to get some 4 core cable, it might be cat 5, and re-solder the connections on the ends just to get the final print.
I have ordered a new cable, but as I don't live in USA it is going to take about 3 weeks to arrive. The problem is it's 1.5 metres long, I can get 1m long cables easy enough.
Well we will have to see how it goes. Getting a better printer is looking more likely as I spent most of Sunday with the printer in the living room working on it, the missus wasn't happy.
I bet you all have fun like this from time to time. ;-)

Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'd suggest checking the igus Flexible cables too.

And I know some use CAT5 cable with PCB breakout boards.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm I'd suggest checking the igus Flexible cables too.

And I know some use CAT5 cable with PCB breakout boards.
Cheap disposable perfect for your use on the Breadboard Designers,
I have always used the 25 Pair Telephone cable, was given a short 3 foot piece way back.
The Heath-kit ET 3100 I have has been around thru many circuits that have been designed over the years.
Radio Shack used to have a PCB that look exactly like the Breadboard. This is what I used for my first TTL discrete circuit digital Clock.

ET-3100_b_640.jpg
276.001.jpg

Have been thinking about pulling it out of the dust balls to start designing circuits for 3D Printers.
I have many ideals floating around for accessories for this 3D Printer innovation.

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”