First thoughts on the ASSEMBLED FolgerTech FT-i3 Mega

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

First thoughts on the ASSEMBLED FolgerTech FT-i3 Mega

Post by LePaul »

GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: First thoughts on the ASSEMBLED FolgerTech FT-i3 Mega

Post by GrueMaster »

Interesting printer. For your powersupply issue, can't tell by the photos or your video, but if it is using a standard 12v/24v hobby powersupply like most chinese printers, there are covers on thingiverse that can be tweaked to work. I have one for my 3DP-17. It does two important things: adds a power switch, and covers the wiring lugs.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Also, with a little fiddling, you might be able to get a CR10 fang part cooler to mount on there.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'd rather have a E3D Titan Aero in it's place :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Okay so with the help of my friend, Keith, he designed an X carriage that would contain both the E3D Titan Aero and the EZABL 12mm bed leveling probe.
titan aero.jpg
We had some early concerns with the Z motors up high with couplers that have those thin cuts inside of them. I had an early CR-10 that had that style coupler and it got a little stretchy over time. And that was with gravity pushing down on it!

And now that we have the Aero/EZABL combo installed and working in firmware, we are again questioning that design.

Why?

Because our z offset is all over the place from print to print. Tim from TH3D remoted in and he works very quickly, making a lot of firmware tweaks to bring the Marlin 1.1.9 more closely to his specs with the Unified Firmware he makes. Over a lot of test probing, he was seeing a good amount of variance, so much so he suggested to just stop what I'm doing and replace with solid couplers. (I have placed that order with Amazon)

With a different carriage came the need for a different X limit switch mount , which Keith was able to make rather quickly

In a sheer moment of HOW DID WE MISS THIS...when calibrating the X axis , and then on to Y...we discovered an Oops. The new printhead/probe combo is thinner than the stock. The stock hot end/extruder combo mounting directly onto the old x carriage, making the Y axis stick out considerably. The new setup, with the stepper motor off to the side, is much thinner. In our current setup, we're 40 mm away from the front of the bed!

Again, Keith to the rescue...over the weekend he came up with a limit switch sensor that would attach to the aluminum extrusion and should give us the additional space back. The stock Y limit switch makes contact as the slider bearing comes into contact with it. Now we're just moving it a few mm away....testing soon
53754238_364294157746695_4603358493452271616_n.png

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”