V1 Engineering's Piper

Topics of Large-Scale 3D Printers
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: V1 Engineering's Piper

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Down to 6 models left to print, not this weekend though too much yard work that has to be completed.
Wanted to post saying the project is getting closer and closer. Will pickup the two 10foot Conduits on Monday.
have a piece of Blondewood 3/4-in Whitewood Plywood will need to see if is survived in the lean-to on the shed over the winter.

Parts Remaining are
Four C-RollerMount
Two XY_C_Burly

May have some time on Tuesday for printing the Four Purple C-RollerMount then the two remaining will be Black of Gray.

Parts list call for five Nema 17 76OZ/in Steppers, KL17H248-15-4A 5mm diameter with flat Key.
Step Angle: 1.8°
Rated Voltage: 4.2V
Current Per Phase: 1.5A
Holding Torque: 5.5Kg.cm (76 oz-in)
Lead Wire: 22AWG
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

6 Hours of printing left.

Here is the largest ABS Print video printed on a Hictop 3DP12 24volt
Nozzle Temp 228
Bed Temp 96C
Fan Speed 100/256 "about 42%"
Printed in a homemade Enclosure venting fumes Outside using a Bathroom fan at 65% full Speed.

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Boss called today with bad news no work, so started to printing the last few models for my V1 Engineering MPCNC.

Being the last of the Large ABS models wanted to record using Octolapse and noticed that the print time was extended by 30 minutes.
Decided to time each time-lapsed photo and measured about 5 secound multiplied by # of layers (349 * 5 = 1745)/60 = 29.083 minutes.
Quite a long time just for taking a single photo per layer or 349 photos.

Time-lapse video
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have noted a distinctive difference between the SD card Print and the OctoLapse Print textures.

SD vs OctoLapse 1.jpg
SD vs OctoLapse 2.jpg

Noted: in the Photos above the model on right was printed with the SD Card While Model on the left within OctoPrint's Octolapse.
You will note a distinct texture difference. Will print another model using same ABS filament with SD card to verify if smoothness returns.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

What print speed?
There's a well documented issue with artifacts happening with Octoprint/USB connection at speeds higher than 45-5- mm/sec
You can go a bit faster on SD
It also depends on your controller board's UART/IO controller
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I slice with Preset known good Saved Cura settings. With Print Speeds between 7.8^3 - 9.6^3 Per Second. (" 70-86 ") Percent.
Using Cura 15.04.6 " 76% is my average speed (if cursor is hovering over "Print Speed" 8.5mm^3 Per Second). "

Sliced the Models first store in G-Code Sliced folder on D: Drive copied to MPCNC folder on SD then printed from SD Card. All printed Great.
Uploaded from G-Code Sliced folder on D: Drive to Octoprint Files directory then printed. Printed fuzzy.

Do not get me wrong, it is acceptable just fuzzy, as you can see it just is not as good as it could be...

..... Do not believe the filament is bad. "Though will test when I have 6 Hour to reprint fuzzy model from SD Card"
..... May try a shielded wire channel Duct between the Controller and the Pi, "Did not like wire hanging from staples anyway".
..... May need a better USB Cable between the Raspberry Pi and 3D Printer Controller " Noise maybe introduced into the Cable "
..... May need to upgrade to a faster Raspberry Pi than a Pi 2 may need Raspberry Pi 3 B plus.

p.s Believe it is Noise have been experiencing small effects of EFI for quite some time, was not causing noteworthy problems.
:::: Thou have been printing somewhat heavy with both 3D Printer running near max potential for ABS Filament.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Looked every where trying to find the best deal on nuts an bolt hardware for the MPCNC 3D Printer
E-Bay averaged 55-75 dollars the other online store were close to the same prices.

Went to Home Depot for work related Hardware notice the bolt section and purchased all the Nuts and Bolts Plus a few not on my list.
Ended Up paying 18.44 + 1.59 tax for a grand total of $20.03

This means I will start Building the Frame this weekend Still would Like to Order 5 Stepper Motors an cabling.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today started to Assemble the MPCNC, I do not believe any of the measurements of the Hardware match the hardware purchased.
Will have to take the parts assembly to the Hardware store then match what is needed.

The measurements are wrong or the Store has all hardware in the wrong parts bins, or they measure the bolts differently somehow.

Image Below

Bolts.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Assembled the Middle Assembly today still need the conduit to assembly the remaining frame Assemblies.
Middle Assembly.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Looks....complicated
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No it was simple.

Other than someone else making up the kit, it is all on you to determine what you what and make or order all the parts accordingly.
I live in Washington State the conduit sold here is 3/4 or .75inch, selected the 23.5mm STL's and 3D Printed all the plastic parts in ABS.

In my case this was the hard decision because I had never Printed any large ABS Models on my 3D Printer only small fidget spinners and key chains.

The second part is how large do you want the MPCNC. This in turn could determine the size of the Steppers I will choose 76oz.
The Table size will be 35 1/2 inches X 27 3/4 inches with a print area of 622mm X 438mm X 406mm without heated Bed..

Looks like I need 25 running foot of 3/4 inch conduit.

3x X-axis Conduit Lengths: 34.9
3x Y-axis Conduit Lengths: 27.65
2x Z-Rail Lengths: 23.5
4x Leg Conduit Lengths: 15.5

The step the is still alludes me is the Nozzle diameter, I was thinking of somewhere is the area of .8 to 1.2mm using a Nova hot-end.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Found a problem with the MPCNC Design.

Bearing 1.jpg

You can see in the middle assembly, that the 5/16 bolt head and the Bearing are touching, This will have to have thinner Bolt Head.
Will be Grinding about 1/2 the thickness of the bolt head away to allow the bearing to freely spin...

Bearing 2.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The build is going quite slowly, simply because when I started this project, was hoping to use some of my spare 3D Printers parts.
This scenario is quickly proving not to be the case with the MPCNC carriage growing heavier than expected,.
Decided on the controller, drivers an lead screw. An Arduino Mega with Ramps 1.6, this one is equipped with a mosfet heat-sink
Decided to use the T8-2 lead screws this is a trapezoidal 8mm lead screw that has a pitch of 2mm per revolution.
s-l1600.jpg

Decides against my spare parts stock T8-8 lead-screw as the weight will allow the carriage to drop when power is turned off.

T8-8 Lead-screw Gravity test

As you can see the carriage has been assembled with a minor setback again needing to order stronger steppers and a new T8-2 Lead-screw.
This by no means will stop me from partially assembling the MPCNC's other components while I wait for the remaining parts to arrive.

Assembled with a temporary 56oz Stepper an T8-8 Lead screw
carriage.jpg
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on June 3rd, 2019, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Hey! Great, I also thinking about to build one but no time so far... keep us updated! maybe I get infected again to start printing :-)

Return to “Large Scale 3D Printers”