V1 Engineering's Piper

Topics of Large-Scale 3D Printers
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

V1 Engineering's Piper

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have decided to build the V1 Engineering Piper.
Starting with a 36" square Wood base, to make room for a 34.4 inch X 34.4 inch Piper frame allowing for a print area of 4 cubic ft.

Presently looking into a 32 bit controller card, below is a card I was looking at. Though would like some ideals on a inexpensive 32 bit controller.
BIGTREETECH-V1.3 though I have not been able to compile the firmware without many major errors as of this date.
Even though I read on github that PlatformIO and Arduino 1.1.9 can compile the firmware.
Please post your thoughts, would also like to be able to flash with the Arduino IDE 1.9.0 is possible, even though I have PlatformIO.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Re: V1 Engineering's Piper

Post by Roberts_Clif »

First C-Foot 3D Print in ABS looks promising, with ABS shrinkage the ID for the Feet is 23.37 the conduit measurement is 23.5.
This means that very little finish work will need to be done in order to assemble the Piper 3D Printer.

I setup the Printer nozzle to 228C with a bed temperature of 98C, first layer print speed 40 all remaining layers 76 percent.
This calculates to 8.5mm^3 per secound.

With a layer height of .28 an infill at 40% the First model for my new 3D Printer/CNC looks great unfinished.
Using the parts cooling fan at 40% full speed (102/256).

Room temp 72.7
Heated enclosure left side 32C
Heated enclosure Right Side 28C
Enclosure Vent Fans speed 70%

C-Foot.jpg

Using both my current Hictop 3DP11 /12 - 3D Printers I should be able to print all Piper printed parts in a couple days.

Would like some Help, I have a question I have Octoprint with Octolapse and Timelapse.
I would like to know if I could install a plugin that could be preset to record configurable frames with a record start/stop button.
This could record anytime while printing or not printing for the preset configurations example " Print 10 frames per second."
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

A little over 8 hours of printing 3 excellent prints, and 1.5 failed.
Mounting screw for the Proximity sensor became loose causing the first layer adhesion to fail causing the bottom to warp.
The model still good though with the bottom not being real flat it could cause problems later on will reprint.

The letter C on the right side of compression slit used for a position key threw me at first, on the dark surface looks like a print Flaw.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Roberts_Clif wrote: April 21st, 2019, 1:05 pm Would like some Help, I have a question I have Octoprint with Octolapse and Timelapse.
I would like to know if I could install a plugin that could be preset to record configurable frames with a record start/stop button.
This could record anytime while printing or not printing for the preset configurations example " Print 10 frames per second."
Not sure I understand the question here. What a lot of people do, especially for long prints, is to capture the print 1 frame/Z change, usually moving the print head to a designated location (out of the way) each time. While printing, it will capture and output ~15-20fps in real time. Then it post-processes.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

As to the CNC, everything I needed to know is in this video. Just need time to build one.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 10:07 am
Not sure I understand the question here.
I would like Octoprint to be able to record a settable frame rate "anytime" simply by pressing the record button.
Then Be able to stop simply by pressing the stop button.

Lets say I am viewing on octoprint an the 3D Printer was messing up, I would like to record now while it is messing Up.
Everything I have is a timelasped from the Start of Print from a certain print source from OctoPrint.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am As to the CNC, everything I needed to know is in this video. Just need time to build one.

This is exactly what I want to build, however just a small part of what I want to know extends infinitely beyond the video.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have 3D Printer all the smaller parts and a couple of the larger parts with very good luck using ABS filament.

The more I print with the ABS at the higher bed temperature, noticed that the 3mm aluminum bed is bowing.
The perimeter of the bed is lower while the center is getting higher and higher. The auto bed leveling is somewhat taking care of it.
But I wander how much it will take before parts will get affected by the bowing an become Unusable.

Want to try an heat the bed while placing a heavy object center bed, then allow it too cool with weight remaining in the center.
Hoping that this action might allow the bed to return to a more level state. It appears may need a Borosilicate Glass Build Plate.

Not looking forward to this as my Proximity sensors will not allow for leveling a Borosilicate Glass Build Plate.
I could try Aluminum foil Duct Tape in strips along the probing paths of the proximity sensor then flip the bed after storing leveling data.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I am slowly printing the models with 0nly 8 pieces remaining to print. looking for the other hardware will need to complete the MPCNC build.
I do not foresee any problems with printing the larger models, Basic foot print is the same they are merely taller.

The Minor problems I have been having is the tightening of nuts and bolts, Need to think about changing to aviation anti vibration nuts.
This has caused bad layer adhesion, layer shifting Y - Carriage loose - I know slow the printer down you are shaking it apart.

No!!! It works good, just need to change a few parts and using Aircraft nuts and bolts will hold it together to run at the speed that I want it too.
Loctite Threadlocker may also be used on a standard fastener with Two removable strengths for large and small applications.

The foreseeable problems include finding the smoothest EMT conduit possible, I have never thought about smooth conduit before.
Keeping the weight down of the hardware may not be a problem with dual XY steppers, though may come into consideration for other reasons...
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

For the conduit, I haven't had a problem with it being rough. Standard EMT is usually fairly smooth. If anything, you will want to go over it with steel wool to remove the lettering and shine it up a bit.

Good luck on your build.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you @GrueMaster

This was one of the most useful bits information for this build so far.

I have found some very important information about the Hotbed warping.
With the bed leveling perfectly Marlin 2.0.x is having major problems setting down the 1st layer, wander if something happened to mess it up.
Will check when I return. May need to invest in a new hotbed or epoxy a thicker aluminum plate above the thinner 3mm aluminum Heat-bed.

Today I was in the in the process of printing one of the larger parts when boss called said Got work for you Today.
Shut down the printers as do not like them running unsupervised, call it a phobia still makes me nervous when not around!!!

The model was laying so perfectly flat.

Well may factory reset 2nd printer make sure the slicer and G-Code have Bed leveling data turned on.
Just finding a set of the screws is raising the build price can not believe how much they want for a single M8x130mm.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

You should be able to source them at Ace Hardware or even a car parts store. But I see what you mean. Amazon has them from $4-$140 (in quantity).
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I use Mcmaster Carr for hardware. You can get it delivered the next day. They have just about everything on there website:https://www.mcmaster.com/
You can also download 3D model of most of there parts, very useful for designing.

Lez0
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you.

Have been searching everywhere to try to get the least expensive Hardware, It's crazy.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you.

Have been searching everywhere to try to get the least expensive Hardware, It's crazy.

I have a E-Bay seller getting me a quote on a list, But it may look like Mcmaster Carr may get the bid.

Return to “Large Scale 3D Printers”