V1 Engineering's Piper

Topics of Large-Scale 3D Printers
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: V1 Engineering's Piper

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today received the Arduino controller the Ramps 1.6 with five A4988 drivers modules.
Decided to upload a known Firmware Marlin 1.1.5 to test the the basics, found that I needed a CH34X driver before it would allow an upload.

Marlin 1.1.5 with the controller an Ramps 1.6 an drivers modules boots, however Marlin for MPCNC is going to need some firmware changes as it is displaying garbage.
Will go over it very carefully to see what i missed.

Ok Missed the Full Graphics Boot Screen, works now.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I received the five steppers, and setup a Ramps controller test, decided to start with a V-Ref of .450
Setup all steppers an preformed simple moves on X, Y, Z E0 an E1 drivers functioning at my test current..
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

After assembling the MPCNC wanted to do one more final test before continuing forward.

You will not believe this but the first test out, blew the Adruino's AMS1117-5 regulator.
So ordered the new regulators and of course you can get 10 for the price of one so purchased a lot of 10.
After replacing the regulator tried the test again an every thing worked except the Stepper motors.

Troubleshooting high and low could not do any thing to get them working again.
Did what anyone who wanted the system up and running would do, Ordered the whole shooting match again.
Arduino Mega with Ramps 1.6 and five A4988 stepper motor drivers.

Today I received the new electronics and started to test, an wouldn't you know it the thing will do run.
After more troubleshooting I found a single A4988 stepper motor driver module was shorted out.
Removed the shorted driver and tested as much as possible with only 4 Driver modules.
These boards are working, Now I decided to test the other electronics parts.
And found that all original drivers modules are dead, the shorted one making 6 dead stepper motor modules.
Did determined that the Arduino and Ramps 1.6 survived the AMS1117-5 regulator destruction twice.

Today I ordered ten stepper motor driver modules.

This means that I am still without a controller to test the full function of my new MPCNC.

However I did discover that I will have to print some of the framework again as the parts are not very durable.
With the First 3D Printing setups...
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Newest Update

Advancing through the Build level and waiting for more parts, thought I would post a couple photos.

2273.jpg
Image1.jpg
Finally decide on a build size 508 X 762 X 292mm (20inches X 30inches X 11.5 inches)

Need to re-examine the firmware the LCD displays only about half what I believe should be displayed.
Will Start with large sheets of paper to draw a complex sketch using a pencil, would like to see it do something.
Then will draw a set of calibrations drawings or rulers all over the paper.

Need to start thinking about printing some cable chains to get the MPCNC looking professional.

Note:
The driver modules that were used in the firmware build were DRV8825 this has 32steps for the same settings, as the A4988 drivers that were purchased for My MPCNC which have 16 steps.

Do not know if this will make much difference as long as the firmware is changed to accommodate the 16step driver modules.

Another Note:
Is that stepping beyond 1/16 does not result in higher precision, because the torque becomes too minute compared to the required torque to move the stepper
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

So lets convert my MPCNC hardware with the firmware

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 800, 200 }

To calculate I use the Prusa Calculator
First with the Belt driven axis
From
1.8° (200 per revolution) 1/32 μStep Belt Pitch 2mm Pulley tooth count = 200
To
1.8° (200 per revolution) 1/16 μStep Belt Pitch 2mm Pulley tooth count = 100

Second with the Lead Screw driven axis
From
1.8° (200 per revolution) 1/32 μStep Belt Pitch 8mm Lead-screw Pitch = 800
To
1.8° (200 per revolution) 1/16 μStep Belt Pitch 2mm Lead-screw Pitch = 1600

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 1600, 100 }
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

1st Test Sketch of a Crown, By George it works.

IMG_2283.JPG

It is a little weak on the steppers V-Ref though for testing I will not worry about this until after I 3D Print a power supply case designed for it. Thinking about designing a case for the Controller and Ramps 1.6 on the back of the tool carriage, routing the cables via a series of cable chains, then will only have the power supply wires to route from the rear of the main floor to the controllers.

Will have to think about how to gain another stepper motor driver to run an extruder maybe this.
https://www.reprap.me/stepper-expander-x1.html
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on June 26th, 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Looks like a good start so far.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I was testing the movements of my XY and Z an to my astonishment it was moving twice too far.
I had just flashed the newest settings into my Arduino so started tearing apart the settings in my slicer Estlcam.
After about a day of being totally confused checking all the settings, came to the realization, that I was forgetting to initialize the firmware setting and then save these settings it was still working on the 1st flashed firmware's settings.

Can not remember how many new users have posted this simple task too and I had forgotten with all that was going on around me.

Finally got EstlCam figured out an was overthinking this as well.
Now on to the next test software.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I decide to test test main floor platform for level.
With ~6mm above the bed then lowered the Tool plate 6mm on all four corners an dead center the platform.
Being really close to the main floor platform here, took my filler gauges out and began measuring the height.
After comparing all five locations, deturmined that the MPCNC that I just built is measuring 0.06mm from level.

Knew I was being careful making my EMT Conduit cuts, but never ever expected that I was being this precise.
This is going to be is enough to mount a Large Aluminum Plate above the floor Platform, heated or not heated.
For 3D Printing large 508 X 762 X 292mm Models WoW! this is going to take a long, long, long, time to print.

A simple Benchy 4X size will take1 day with .4mm nozzle with a 1mm nozzle prints will take 5 1/2 hours.
This may be doable.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today my DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter 1.5V 3V 5V 9V 12V and Adjustable at 3 amps came in.
I am now powering my ramps with a 20amp 24volt power supply.

I removed D1 replacing it with the output of the buck converter I soldered the diode anode side to IN (24vdc) and soldered the diode cathode side to VO leaving the GND terminal to be soldered to the Ramps ground Power Connector.
DC to Dc Buck.jpg
I did not install a DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter Module set to 5volts to replace the AMS1117-5.0 at this time
This was on my agenda so I could use the full graphics controller that draws to much current from AMS1117-5.0.

Will do this after the Full graphics controller arrives.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I duplicated my DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter to my Spare Ramps 1.6 board. I am now powering both ramps with 24volt power supplies.

Have not ordered a pair of Full Graphics controllers for my newly purchased Arduino Mega 2560 R3's and Ramps.
Though it is still on my list of parts to be ordered.

My next modification will be to remove the AMS1117-5.0 regulator on the Arduino and replace it with this same DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter. This time instead of setting it to a variable voltage will be using the set 5 volt jumper pin on the converter.

This will allow for the additional power requirements needed to operate the Full Graphics controller I will be using. All power supplied from a single 24vdc power source from the Ramps 1.6 controller power pins...
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I believe I have the Estlcam figured out I printed a more complex sketch.
I went off the paper on the feet
Sena.jpg
After printing this sketch believe ready to setup a extra Stepper motor Driver for my Ramps 1.6 for the extruder.
Will be looking a this Stepper motor Expander
Has any one ever tried these Stepper motor expanders
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I was wiring end-stop switches using this video on my Arduino Mega 2560 R3 an Ramps 1.6 making sure the wire were exactly the same as the video.

Well I blew the AMS1117-05 in a heartbeat so today I replace the AMS1117-05 with a DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter 1.5V 3V 5V 9V 12V 3A Adjustable Module this was set to the 5V jumper.
DC-DC down converter.jpg
My question is why did this switch made by BigTree-Tech.com for maker bot kill the AMS1117-05, tested the switch it operated correctly. 2nd question is now that Arduino has a 3amp 5volt supply should be able to run a LCD 12864 Smart Controller correct.

I must be right at the max current limit for the regulator because when I power it on with the new regulator is now works correctly.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I just ordered the Dewalt DW660 so I have a few more parts to be 3D Printed.

Vacuum Duct
Frame Supports // Frame is not as sturdy as I would like it.
Cable chains
Power Supply case
Arduino, Ramps Case
ect, ect ect.

Some of the thinner printed ABS models are quite fragile, they resemble older plastic degraded by weather.
Will need to reprint them, maybe this time in PLA.

Good thing is that the Dewalt will be showing up today an will be able to actually cut something.
Will start out with something weak like a piece of pink insulation.
Then work up to some softwoods that I have laying around
Then ending with hardwoods to get an ideal how fast the cuter will work.

At this time I have given some thought as to the size of the hot bed 400mm X 600mm.
Will need to see if I can make it a reality Now.

I can start with two silicone heaters 300mm X 400mm on fairly sturdy piece of aluminum plate.
But how thick should it be, do not want to go crazy an go unreasonably thick.
I want it thicker than my Hictop beds that has warped.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

MPCNC just happened to be featured on the Teaching Tech you-tube channel today:

Return to “Large Scale 3D Printers”