3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

The dual extruding Ultimaker 3!
3dprintingnerd
Reactions:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by 3dprintingnerd »

reibuehl wrote:Joel's channel I have unsubscribed since his stuff has no usable information for me.
The channel where I leaned the most in recent months for my 3D printing, NCY CNC, is actually not even a 3D printing channel! John Saunders has so many great Fusion 360 video tutorials that helped me a lot getting into designing stuff in Fusion 360.
Very sorry I don't have any content for what you need, but very happy to hear NYC CNC is your go-to channel - THAT is a great channel!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

We have Joel himself!

Welcome to the forum and I appreciate stomaching our feedback and responding so kindly to it!
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

3dprintingnerd wrote:
Hello! I'm sorry to hear you don't like my reviews, but obviously not all content is for everyone. I do hope the channels you like keep producing awesome content for you! As for my content, you mention thinking it is made to drive subscriber growth and revenue. Isn't that the case with most YouTube content? What was I doing in videos in the past that I no longer do?

As for the fame, I'm sorry that's the way you think. If you ever want to have a conversation, shoot me an email.
I do like your video's and they have become better, but your reviews lack a little bit of research before using a new printer,
On the one hand you really show how important a good manual is for first use or build, but most users how will buy that particular printer would have done a little research before purchasing it.

For example the Einscan_S you unboxed and used, you could have had a better result at the end of your vid if you knew a little bit more about 3D scanning, and would have made the vid more complete.

You could let your fans or forum members here, help you a little with info on the specific device before you do a test, so that you can still do everything with just the manual, but with more insight of that device, it would make a more honest review or first use vid :)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

3dprintingnerd wrote:
Neotko wrote:Indeed. They start passionate, then gain followers, then get paid to promote stuff (cash or printers). If I would make a channel I would not get any printer just because atm none is at the level of quality I need (from factory).

Edit: Is not that I would not get free stuff, is just that they would prefer not to XD!
Hello there! Promotional content, at least from me, will always be declared. So far, the only paid-for content I've done was contract work for internal videos. I hope I am still able to convey a passion in my videos!
Well passion sure you have. About promotions.

I mean paid by machines also. IMO as Inworked 6 years on 2 videogame magazines I started as much independent as I could by as the years go by the companies create a symbiotic relationship where you start to be locked on how deep your criticism can go. Also as it happens with 3D there's a basic level that they create a 'friendly' connection, as humans is unavoidable at some level to disconnect from the 'hey take this for your review' and the full impartial review.

Also, about the 'tests'. 3D printing it now at the boiling point, more and more users get into it, and there are toons of printers on the market. The problem I see is that the reviews fail to establish a realistic point of view on:

- Real max print with OK quality
- Debug the tricks the printers use (for example UM3 uses a Acceleration/Yerk system to print super nice, at the cost of 30-40% print speed + head change)
- How good is their PLA cooling. Many printers fail to implement real math on their cooling, they add one fan, and that's 'ok' for most of the prints. Well I know that air doesn't work that way, but noone really reviews the machines to the point of heavy use, and benchy's doesn't cut it.
- Heavy retractions print. IMO every printer on the market should be able to print a voronoi 3d print where the extruder is pushed to it's limit. Personally I think that voronoi isn't enough since I use 2k retractions on my prints for a lapse of 24minutes (time+retractions also is relative). Isn't the same to do 60k retractions in 24h that 30k retractions in 3h print.
- More advanced print tests. Most 3d reviewers focus on the settings that come with the machine, and they don't debug why, where, how.
- Ringing tests, the most usual problem on big machines with extruders on their heads like the Raises, they usually try to compensate it with VERY low accel/jerk speeds.

And that's all I can think off for now... I'll go get a coffe is 9 in the morning here =)
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Hello Joel, welcome to the forum!
3dprintingnerd wrote:Hey, just saw this thread. What was the primitive way I messed up the filament loading? I just rechecked my review video and I couldn't see a problem with filament loading.
In the quick start guide for the UM2+ (and even in the messages shown on the display as far as I know) you are told to press the button to continue once filament appears in the bowden tube above the extruder. The printer will then fast forward the filament for most of the bowden length and slows down again to enter the hotend with a slower speed again.

In your review video, you didn't press the button until the filament was into the bowden pretty far and then where surprised when the printer slammed the filament with full speed into the hotend since the printer fast forwards always for the same distance before slowing down.

It was like watching a car crash happen :-)
3dprintingnerd
Reactions:

Post by 3dprintingnerd »

Xeno wrote:
For example the Einscan_S you unboxed and used, you could have had a better result at the end of your vid if you knew a little bit more about 3D scanning, and would have made the vid more complete.

You could let your fans or forum members here, help you a little with info on the specific device before you do a test, so that you can still do everything with just the manual, but with more insight of that device, it would make a more honest review or first use vid :)
Ahhh the Einscan-S ... yes. That whole video was my mistake. Made in a hurry without proper research. I did get to talk to Shining3D at CES, and they, no joke, thanked me for the video, as it showed them I had a wonderful community of people wanting to help me out. Thanks :) Believe me, that is getting a revisit. I've learned a LOT since then, and I got a personal tour through the app from Shining3D themselves. They are a great group of people, and I hope the updated videos does them and the product justice.
3dprintingnerd
Reactions:

Post by 3dprintingnerd »

reibuehl wrote:Hello Joel, welcome to the forum!

In the quick start guide for the UM2+ (and even in the messages shown on the display as far as I know) you are told to press the button to continue once filament appears in the bowden tube above the extruder. The printer will then fast forward the filament for most of the bowden length and slows down again to enter the hotend with a slower speed again.

In your review video, you didn't press the button until the filament was into the bowden pretty far and then where surprised when the printer slammed the filament with full speed into the hotend since the printer fast forwards always for the same distance before slowing down.

It was like watching a car crash happen :-)
Oh! Yes, that part was on purpose, at least, I hope we are talking about the same part. I tried to show people who aren't familiar with the Ultimaker how far up the filament needs to be bed into the Bowden tube. The arrow was showing GOOD and BAD. Is that the part you were referring to?
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Hi Joel, a warm welcome to you from the UK too.
Sue my better half has had a go at a video blog of her first step into 3Dprinting after we won a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus in November from Filaments.Directory, we have just finished editing it and about to put it on the web so getting ready for some flak :shock: :lol:
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

3dprintingnerd wrote:Oh! Yes, that part was on purpose, at least, I hope we are talking about the same part. I tried to show people who aren't familiar with the Ultimaker how far up the filament needs to be bed into the Bowden tube. The arrow was showing GOOD and BAD. Is that the part you were referring to?
The GOOD and BAD arrows are nice. I haven't seen that one. I think my comment was with the UM2+ unboxing video in mind - around 12:30 into that one.

Return to “Ultimaker 3 / Ultimaker 3 Extended”