3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

The dual extruding Ultimaker 3!
User avatar
LePaul
Reactions:
Posts: 2492
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine USA
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2+, Folger Tech FT-5
Contact:

3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by LePaul » December 21st, 2016, 1:29 pm


User avatar
LePaul
Reactions:
Posts: 2492
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine USA
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2+, Folger Tech FT-5
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by LePaul » December 22nd, 2016, 10:49 am

I was watching bits of Thomas' unboxing and first prints



I'm really a bit surprised these guys are having so much trouble with the first prints and stuff.

reibuehl
Reactions:
Posts: 397
Joined: February 9th, 2016, 9:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by reibuehl » December 22nd, 2016, 4:18 pm

I have seen the 3D Printing Nerds "review" of the UM2+ where he managed to mess up the filament loading in such a primitive way that I wonder why he still gets free machines to test.
Reiner.

User avatar
Amedee
Reactions:
Posts: 599
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 11:10 am
Location: Brussels, Belgium
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by Amedee » December 23rd, 2016, 9:45 am

I used to watch videos from people passionate about their hobby and sharing experiences, some better than other.

Some of these people gained more and more popularity, are now seen as 'reference' and produce more and more content, but in my view with less and less value.

Maybe some of you have plenty of time (and that's OK), but I don't have 3 hours to loose to look at an unboxing video...

I wish these guys a lot of success, but they completely lost me...
Phil.

reibuehl
Reactions:
Posts: 397
Joined: February 9th, 2016, 9:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by reibuehl » December 23rd, 2016, 9:50 am

Amedee wrote:Some of these people gained more and more popularity, are now seen as 'reference' and produce more and more content, but in my view with less and less value.
Exactly! I have a bunch of those in my YouTube subscription list :)
Reiner.

User avatar
Neotko
Reactions:
Posts: 1066
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 7:02 pm
Location: Madrid
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by Neotko » December 23rd, 2016, 10:28 am

Indeed. They start passionate, then gain followers, then get paid to promote stuff (cash or printers). If I would make a channel I would not get any printer just because atm none is at the level of quality I need (from factory).

Edit: Is not that I would not get free stuff, is just that they would prefer not to XD!

User avatar
LePaul
Reactions:
Posts: 2492
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine USA
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2+, Folger Tech FT-5
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by LePaul » December 23rd, 2016, 1:13 pm

I agree with your comments

On the 3 hour link...I scrolled through a lot, so I didn't sit through 3 hours of it either :)

Both of these guys have their quirks.

Tom is much more scientific, which I like.

Joel (Printing Nerd) does really poor reviews. His video count seems more driven for subscribers and revenue and the content of those videos show it. His reviews are lacking badly if you are more than an enthusiast.

That said, I think these guys are a bit lost in their own "fame". It's more about cranking out videos, hits and subscribers ...and getting free stuff. I haven't seen any really hard-hitting reviews from these two. I think they're trying hard to catch up to Barnacules Nerdgasm and his 700k subscriber count.

reibuehl
Reactions:
Posts: 397
Joined: February 9th, 2016, 9:56 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by reibuehl » December 23rd, 2016, 1:33 pm

Tom had a nice little video about layer adhesion this week. I like his tutorial style videos much better than the unboxings or printer reviews. Joel's channel I have unsubscribed since his stuff has no usable information for me.
The channel where I leaned the most in recent months for my 3D printing, NYC CNC, is actually not even a 3D printing channel! John Saunders has so many great Fusion 360 video tutorials that helped me a lot getting into designing stuff in Fusion 360.
Reiner.

User avatar
LePaul
Reactions:
Posts: 2492
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine USA
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2+, Folger Tech FT-5
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by LePaul » December 23rd, 2016, 1:41 pm

NYC CNC is a very good channel, indeed.

User avatar
Amedee
Reactions:
Posts: 599
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 11:10 am
Location: Brussels, Belgium
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by Amedee » December 23rd, 2016, 1:57 pm

Yep, learned F360 with NCY CNC as well!
Phil.

User avatar
LePaul
Reactions:
Posts: 2492
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine USA
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2+, Folger Tech FT-5
Contact:

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by LePaul » December 23rd, 2016, 2:20 pm

I forgot he had some tutorials for Fusion in there

I just downloaded it Since I have a University email address, I can qualify as a student :)

3dprintingnerd
Reactions:
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by 3dprintingnerd » January 13th, 2017, 8:31 pm

reibuehl wrote:I have seen the 3D Printing Nerds "review" of the UM2+ where he managed to mess up the filament loading in such a primitive way that I wonder why he still gets free machines to test.
Hey, just saw this thread. What was the primitive way I messed up the filament loading? I just rechecked my review video and I couldn't see a problem with filament loading.

3dprintingnerd
Reactions:
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by 3dprintingnerd » January 13th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Amedee wrote:I used to watch videos from people passionate about their hobby and sharing experiences, some better than other.

Some of these people gained more and more popularity, are now seen as 'reference' and produce more and more content, but in my view with less and less value.

Maybe some of you have plenty of time (and that's OK), but I don't have 3 hours to loose to look at an unboxing video...

I wish these guys a lot of success, but they completely lost me...
Hey! I'm sorry to hear my produced value has gone down in your eyes. I understand you don't have the time for long unboxings. What I've tried to do is "stream" my unboxings and first use of machine, then, I can produce a very much trimmed down video for later. I've started to find that works pretty well, though, I'm always up for hearing about ways I can improve.

3dprintingnerd
Reactions:
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by 3dprintingnerd » January 13th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Neotko wrote:Indeed. They start passionate, then gain followers, then get paid to promote stuff (cash or printers). If I would make a channel I would not get any printer just because atm none is at the level of quality I need (from factory).

Edit: Is not that I would not get free stuff, is just that they would prefer not to XD!
Hello there! Promotional content, at least from me, will always be declared. So far, the only paid-for content I've done was contract work for internal videos. I hope I am still able to convey a passion in my videos!

3dprintingnerd
Reactions:
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Re: 3D Printing Nerd Ultmaker 3 Unboxing & 1st print

Post by 3dprintingnerd » January 13th, 2017, 8:40 pm

LePaul wrote:
Joel (Printing Nerd) does really poor reviews. His video count seems more driven for subscribers and revenue and the content of those videos show it. His reviews are lacking badly if you are more than an enthusiast.

That said, I think these guys are a bit lost in their own "fame". It's more about cranking out videos, hits and subscribers ...and getting free stuff. I haven't seen any really hard-hitting reviews from these two. I think they're trying hard to catch up to Barnacules Nerdgasm and his 700k subscriber count.
Hello! I'm sorry to hear you don't like my reviews, but obviously not all content is for everyone. I do hope the channels you like keep producing awesome content for you! As for my content, you mention thinking it is made to drive subscriber growth and revenue. Isn't that the case with most YouTube content? What was I doing in videos in the past that I no longer do?

As for the fame, I'm sorry that's the way you think. If you ever want to have a conversation, shoot me an email.

Post Reply

Return to “Ultimaker 3 / Ultimaker 3 Extended”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest