Ultimaker 3 released!

The dual extruding Ultimaker 3!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Ultimaker 3 released!

Post by LePaul »

Alright, it seemed appropriate to create a section just for the Ultimaker 3!

I meant to check when I was at the show....but the spools seem small than usual. Is there less filament on them? In the videos and spools I saw, they seem smaller than the usual size
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Re: Ultimaker 3 released!

Post by Anders Olsson »

The two spools shipped inside the printer box (grey PLA and PVA) were smaller for some reason, but the other spools I got appeared to be regular Ultimaker spool size.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I wonder why that is? Will the chipped spools be smaller than what we've bought in the past?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

I don't think the RFID-spools bought separately from Ultimaker contains less filament.
The RFID is just a tiny thing in the center of the spool so it should not affect the dimensions.
It was just the spools that came with the printer that were smaller, it kind of reminded me of the half filled toner cartridge you get with a new laser printer.. (Sorry Ultimaker :-) )

There is probably some good reason though, like shipping dimensions or weight.
2016-09-24-8820.jpg
And yes, my first complaint was that the shipping box is STILL much to weak, and Ultimaker now PROMISED to FINALLY do something about that! :-)
(It was shipped in a box marked Ultimaker 3 by the way, I would say that was a quite brave move :-) )
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

At the event, I helped them pack up after the presentations....so I helped box up four of them. I was some disappointed on the first one I packed...when I realized I hadn't put in the black packing strap....oops. Re-do!

I'm a little leery about how the accessories sits across and under the bowden tubes....and how the packing sort of squishes them.

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I noticed an ad for the Ultimaker 3 Extended in my Facebook feed from Dynamism.

They say in stock and ready to ship...so, they are available after all? I thought there was some delay til November?
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

I think the official wording is 'available now for purchase' and 'shipped in November'...
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

From what I understood, Ultimaker has been working really hard on actually having large amounts of UM3 ready on the release date.
The beta testing machines appeared ready apart from the printed spool holder, some stickers and missing documentation, but I am sure those things are fixed by now.
So I would expect UM3 to start shipping soon.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Hope that... Some Guys in my Company are currently looking for a new Printer - but at a Company just selling zortax and makerbots... Need to Convince Those stupid Idiots a.s.a.p. Else it ends up in the Same Desaster als when They bought the z18... :-(
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

I've heard pretty decent things about Zortrax. So it won't be that bad i guess.
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by MTVDNA »

I have been wondering lately, why haven't you added a filament sensor that measures whether there is filament left and that it actually moves too? Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to get working, and would add some very useful functionality. In fact, it has already been done.

Same with a function to resume prints that are interrupted because of e.g. power loss. There must be some way of storing what line of gcode was the last to be performed, and then take off from there when the power comes back on?

Features like those could really make a big difference imho, especially on long prints (say 20+ hours or so).
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Amen
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

MTVDNA wrote:I have been wondering lately, why haven't you added a filament sensor that measures whether there is filament left and that it actually moves too? Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to get working, and would add some very useful functionality. In fact, it has already been done.

Same with a function to resume prints that are interrupted because of e.g. power loss. There must be some way of storing what line of gcode was the last to be performed, and then take off from there when the power comes back on?

Features like those could really make a big difference imho, especially on long prints (say 20+ hours or so).
I totally agree. Ultimaker also agrees, which is the reason it was part of the development up until the very last moment. If you look inside the feeder, you actually see that there is room for such a sensor. But due to time constraints, we weren't able to get it done in time and opted to drop the partially working feature, as it caused more issues than it solved. It would quite often pause prints, thinking the filament jammed when everything was going allright.

I'm pretty sure that we will start spending some time on it in the future (um3+? Upgrade? I dunno)

As for power loss, I think that could be doable. I'll log the feature in our internal tracker (For my reference; EM-1108) :)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

It can be so frustrating to know all these things, like the filament sensor and why it is not there, but not knowing if one is allowed to talk about it or not.
I am not taking any chances posting information that might be unofficial, that is for sure, so I just have to sit there keeping silent and hope that someone from Ultimaker steps in and explains things.

So thank you for that post nallath, one thing less on my list of things that I am not allowed to talk about :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Did you see someone had a wifi issue that made it so the printer wouldn't boot/post? He removed the wifi card and now it boots

Link

Return to “Ultimaker 3 / Ultimaker 3 Extended”