OctoPrint

Wireless/network connectivity to print, control and monitor prints!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

OctoPrint

Post by Roberts_Clif »

First two OctoPrints printing using two rasberry Pi zero's, Both printing the same model side by side.
It appears that when the first print finished the second print also stopped short of the print by a couple layers.

Not saying that the first caused the second to stop but that is the way it looked.

I have the original Pi Names that are exactly the same, Is there a way to change Names without connecting a keyboard and monitor the the pi's.
Can Name be changed on the SD card somehow.

Is there a way to change the 8.3 file names?

How can I connect Cura 2.6.2 to both Printer at the same time?
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: OctoPrint

Post by GrueMaster »

Lots of questions beg for lots of answers. Let me see if I can clear some of this for you.

To change the hostname without remote logging in, you can shut down the system and create octopi-hostname.txt on the boot partition (Windows will see this partition). Make sure NOT to use notepad (use a real editor that doesn't leave messy dos linefeeds). The hostname needs to be plain text and strictly alphanumeric (a-zA-Z0-9 only). There is a boot script that will see this and make the change to the OS side permanently, then it will delete this file. You can also change the default password by creating a file octopi-password.txt with a new password.

The other way is to use ssh (for Windows, install Putty). The username is pi and the default password is raspberry. Once you login, change the password with 'passwd'.

As to 8.3 filenames, I assume you are referring to the files on the printer SD? If so, that is a marlin firmware issue. See https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/1600.

For Cura, once both printers are setup, they can be individually selected by connecting to Octoprint, rather than typing out the instructions here, check out this video:

I have 2 Pi3 systems, one for each printer (little-hicci and big-hicci - note that I modified the scripts on my systems to accept a dash in the hostnames). In cura, I just select which printer I want, and it automatically sets the print bed size, print profile, and PLA color to what is currently loaded (I have to manually tell Cura which PLA is loaded when I change it out - systems aren't that smart yet).
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Next step for me is to configure 2 cameras/printer. One webcam for watching the whole printer, and an endoscope mounted to the print head to monitor the extruder output up close.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I had read that article for 8.3 file names, but could not remember where I had seen it? However could not remember How to return to the article .

Thank You!!!
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on April 27th, 2018, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I read that the processors are pretty well tasked doing one printer...and at $39 each, I've just used individual Pi's per printer.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Actually, the 'bulk' of the work load is when you drag/drop an STL and have the old cura engine on the pi do the slice & dice. Mine on average are only ~30% loaded, with streaming video and live gcode tracking.

Still 1 printer/pi. Same is true for PC unless you have the horsepower to run two slicers in parallel (and I would think they would get confused at some point).
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Installed Putty and tested connect to Pi Zero.
Changed the OctoPrint host name.
Uploaded STL file and sliced for print, worked but took a minute.

Can't get the Large Emergency Stop button, just a little triangle on the top menu line.

https://github.com/ntoff/OctoPrint-Estop

Am I not doing something right. I loaded from OctoPrint plugin-manager.

Some plugin do not work is this because of my Pi Zero.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

I have the Emergency Stop button working just fine. It may take a little to tweak the config to your liking.

Here is the default after installing and restarting Octoprint:
Octoprint-estop-default.png
Note how it is at the bottom of the sidebar, below the files and not very convenient.

After editing the config.yaml file on my pi (ssh to the pi, and edit ~/.octoprint/config.yaml) from this:

Code: Select all

appearance:
  color: orange
  name: Big Hicci
plugins:
to this:

appearance:
  components:
    order:
      sidebar:
        - plugin_estop
plugins:
Save and restart Octoprint from the web interface. It will now look like this:
Octoprint-estop-custom.png
Side note:
To edit a file in Linux, I prefer vi as it is quick and can be very powerful when you get into some of the more advanced features. For now, here is the step by step for you Windows folks:
(typed commands in green)
  1. Use putty to ssh to your Pi. Login as pi, default password is raspberry (unless you changed it - which you should). Mine is named 'big-hicci' (it is on my Hictop CR-10S).
  2. pi@big-hicci:~ $ vi .octoprint/config.yaml
  3. Arrow down to the appearance: section and put your cursor on name:
  4. o will insert a newline. With this version of Vi, you cannot use the arrows to move around while in insert mode.
  5. Add the code (above) starting with components: and ending with - plugin_estop. Use spaces NOT tabs for indenting.
  6. Hit the <ESC> key to exit insert mode, then :wq to save and exit.
  7. Restart Octoprint from the web interface
Happy printing!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: January 6th, 2018, 11:44 am

appearance:
plugins:
Do not Have this in my config.yaml

Must be because I have the Simple Emergency Stop plugin installed from OctoPrint plugin manager.

Tried to manually enter the code to no avail.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Yes, I just noticed that plugin lower down on the list. Use Emergency Stop Button instead
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have been working with OctoPrint, and the plugins on a Pi Zero. I install the plugins that I wanted to use with OctoPrint only to discover they did not function on the Pi Zero. When I tried to uninstall them a couple would not uninstall, Simple E-Stop and Emergency Stop Button.

As OctoPrint still seemed to function, I decide to install OctoPrint a on a spare SD card.
I tried many times only to have it fail to boot. This meant that I was reformatting and reinstalling Octoprint. Decided not use a Standard Windows text editor and downloaded Notepad++ and finally got one to Boot. Thereby I installed only the known working OctoPrint plugins. Getting the first OctoPrint Pi Zero to work correctly went on to the second.

On the second OctoPrint was still having the same problem getting OctoPrint to boot. And again went thru the progress of reformatting the SD card and reinstalling Octoprint. After some time finally had two working OctoPrint Pi Zero’s.

However during the process of reformatting the SD card I lost an OS Clone backup hard drive to the reformatting. Now this hard drive has my entire family’s computers backups on it, this is 3.63TB of data Gone with one small SD card Formatting error.

Well a I believe in having backups you will not believe it but I even have a backup for the Backup. Ha HA ha hA!!!!! (You can tell I have been here before!!!!!)

So now comes the part I have always hated, Having to backup the backup of my family’s backups. I started the Backup at 6:00am. Copying data from the OS Clone backup’s Backup hard drive to return the data to the System OS Clone backup hard drive so as to restore the master backup at 5:32pm. (Thanks to having USB 3 Backups, If this was a USB 2 backup well you know!!)

Can anyone tell me it there is any documentation telling the compatibility of the plugins to the different Pi’s specifically the Pi Zero and Pi Zero W.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Well, for starters, the Pi Zero has an Arm v6 processor, vs the Pi 2 v7 quad core and the Pi 3 v8 64 bit processor. In PC terms, it would be like comparing an Intel Pentium 120 (586) to a Pentium III 800 (i686) and a more recent Core i3 processor (based on core architecture, not speed and memory).

Simply put, some of the plugins may require instructions that are not available on the Pi Zero CPU.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm Pi Zero has an Arm v6 processor. Some plugins require instructions that are not available on the Pi Zero CPU.
Concentrating to hard on this an missed the obvious. And I am a professional Computer Programmer! (How did I miss That???)
(Have too many projects in varying fields all going at the same time)

It's alright got what I wanted, can add G-Code to the Pi Zero from My PC. Can upload an STL file to the Pi zero, slice and 3D Print it.
Can delete the files no longer needed on the Pi Zero from my PC. Can edit the 3D Printers EEProm from my PC.

I can even sent the G-Code to the Printer SD Card walk to the printer and start the print.

And for the First time since purchasing the 3D Printers I have access the LCD Reset button on the New bottom front LCD Case.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Ah, good catch. Pi3's aren't expensive, why not upgrade to those?

Return to “Wireless Printing and Controllers”