OctoPrint

Wireless/network connectivity to print, control and monitor prints!
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: OctoPrint

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:The problem I think I always did read was that the UM2/UMO+ usb connection wasn't reliable.
That's a hoax -- I never had a print failure through USB.

Of course if you are sending from a laptop with power management and it decides to go to sleep, or is you start to plug things in the USB and the bus resets, then you are in trouble...
But in a controlled environment it is very stable.

In the old days, it was the only way to print on UMOs, there was no SD-Cards (Ulticontroller was an option)
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

reibuehl wrote:Since the UM2 was originally designed to be upgraded to dual extrusion, the 220W power supply that comes with it has quite some head room for such extensions AFAIK.
Not sure this is true, because they said you should not use that PSU on UMO with HB + Dual...

But yes, for a Pi that should work -- the 2.5Amps are at 5v anyway...
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Adafruit has a neat bundle for the OctoPrint: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2896

Is it worth it to go from Pi 2 to Pi 3?
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

The Pi 3 has built-in wifi and bluetooth which is good for OctoPrint as you will need most probably Wifi but apparently the Pi 3 gets hotter which might be an issue depending on where you mount it. From the CPU performance, you will not need a Pi 3.

Regarding the Bundle: I would check what camera cable you need. The 30cm cable in the set might be too short and you are better of with a 75cm for example. But that depends on where you want to mount the Pi.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I have a Logitech C920 at the house. I'd need to sort out a means to mount it to the UMO
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Then why pay for the Raspberry Pi Cam in that bundle?
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Amedee wrote:That's a hoax -- I never had a print failure through USB.
Well, Ultimaker stopped supporting it because of too much problems with it, probably most of them caused by external factors like poor quality cables, computers that went to sleep or locked up doing something else, power spikes etc, but most users would not really care about what caused it, and always blame the printer first, so saying it is not supported is a good way of reducing the amount of support cases you have to handle.
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

reibuehl wrote:The Pi 3 has built-in wifi and bluetooth which is good for OctoPrint as you will need most probably Wifi but apparently the Pi 3 gets hotter which might be an issue depending on where you mount it. From the CPU performance, you will not need a Pi 3.
Would be carefull at the moment with built in wifi... still connection issues as amedee posted earlier.

I would simply buy a pi2, a raspi cam or take your existing usb camera. I am sure you have a good quality usb charger laying around? Just try it out, you can allways later buy a new charger if it would not work. You have a micro sd allready? should work.
The case, printed of course. :)
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

Meduza wrote:
Amedee wrote:That's a hoax -- I never had a print failure through USB.
Well, Ultimaker stopped supporting it because of too much problems with it, probably most of them caused by external factors like poor quality cables, computers that went to sleep or locked up doing something else, power spikes etc, but most users would not really care about what caused it, and always blame the printer first, so saying it is not supported is a good way of reducing the amount of support cases you have to handle.
Well I have printed with octoprint / my own application since quite some time. I never had an issue with it. (I had some issues with regards to the setup, processing power of the pi, computers going to sleep etc., but NOT with the connection as far as I can remember).

Octoprint is for sure a great way of printing and controlling your printer "wireless" (and without SD-Card, just saying ;))!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Do you guys mount your Pi/case to the printer? I love little Arduino projects and learning the Pi might be fun
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

My plan is to mount the Pi under my UM2 if I can manage to do so.
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

I mounted it to my umo as you can see here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=139#p1435

This is one of my unreleased projects. It can be adjusted and comes with a mount for the raspi cam.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Yes, I agree with what has been said...
  • For a newbie, go for the Pi 2 you will get it at a good price and it is 'proven technology' -- as mentioned, the Pi 3 has some stability issues with the WiFi
  • Buy a good power supply, this is key (the one from the foundation -- a bit expensive, but a safe choice, or anything else 'certified' 2 Amps+)
  • SD Card
  • You have a WebCam, so you don't need to worry about the Cam module
  • If you want to go WiFi, a supported WiFi dongle (but if you can, I strongly recommend to use a network cable)
  • For the enclosure, I was reluctant to mount it on the printer (due to the vibrations), so it is just sitting there (see pictures)...
martin-bienz
Reactions:

Post by martin-bienz »

Amedee wrote: For the enclosure, I was reluctant to mount it on the printer (due to the vibrations), so it is just sitting there (see pictures)...
Had no issues so far, I mounted it to the frame since 2 years without a hicup. Now that I think about it, rubber / ninjaflex mounts for the pi itself would be a good option... :idea:
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

martin-bienz wrote:Now that I think about it, rubber / ninjaflex mounts for the pi itself would be a good option... :idea:
Why? Other people put Raspberry Pis on remote controlled cars and all kinds of crazy robots - I would hope that your UMO has much less frame movement than this or these :-D

Return to “Wireless Printing and Controllers”