Setting up Octoprint on the Raspberry Pi3 (video)

Wireless/network connectivity to print, control and monitor prints!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Setting up Octoprint on the Raspberry Pi3 (video)

Post by LePaul »

Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Setting up Octoprint on the Raspberry Pi3 (video)

Post by Lez0 »

Hi Paul
Another great video.
I set up one of these a few weeks ago and it has made printing a lot easier.
I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi camera with my Pi3 to make the setup easier. To try it out I used a network cable, that way you don't need to change anything. Download the image, burn to an SD card, no need to edit any files, attached all the hardware and it works..
Amazing project the Octoprint.

Lez0
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Good video.

I also wanted to say thanks for mentioning Win32DiskImager. I had planned on working on it during my stay-cation this last month, but too many other honey-do's got in the way. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Is that your product?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Yes. My son wrote it when he was a senior in high school (v0.3 - 2009). I have taken over the project and added a lot of features and bug fixes since then, along with a contributor somewhere in the eastern US. I have had volunteers releasing the translations.

The hardest part of maintaining it, I am a Linux developer and Microsoft constantly changes their API functions. For example, the API for detecting SD cards is a completely different library than detecting USB (at least since WIndows 7/8). Hence why SD detection isn't working properly. Also, the new UAC introduced in Vista and redone in Windows 7 kills our drag and drop functionality.

I just recently acquired a system (Intel NUC) that has the HW needed to develop SD support, but haven't had time to get it online yet.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

It's a great little app that I first saw in another video (

Side topic....

I know your frustration with Microsoft. Just when I got good with Visual Basic 6 they came out with .Net and so on. It's hard to find just "VB" documentation and tutorials since they really seem to push C#

My R2 uses a netbook inside and I wrote a VB6 program so that the game pad would trigger sounds and work with the servo control board that had a API. Since my program also does video and works with a projector, it was a real fine mess with work with DirectX. I also had to shut off networking since any Windows Update would undermine my code (it would try to upgrade Direct X, etc).

I still struggle to know where to fine a quality installer. Back in the 90s I used WISE but I think they were scooped up/bought up. So...when my brain feels like programming, I do enjoy the challenge...but getting that application installed into another PC...a challenge.

I have an Intel NUC that I have wanted to install in my R2-D2 to replace the netbook....the netbook is 9 years old and like any laptop that old, the CMOS battery is failing, the battery is worn out and doesn't have the staying power it used to. The NUC is a 19V system and I have a power adapter...it's just figuring how big a battery would be needed to keep R2's brain alive for 4-5 hours.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Your R2 unit is big enough, maybe you can use a battery from a UPS. You can start by running your NUC through a Kill-a-watt to read how much AC draw it is pulling.

Better yet, just learn Python and switch to a Raspberry Pi. Easy to power, light weight, powerful enough to run all of your functions. And you have a Windows tool to install the base image. :P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well R2 has three 12v 18ah batteries in it. Two are tiered together (parallel) to get double the amp since they power some beefy NPC 2212 (1/4 horsepower) foot motors.

I kind of wonder how long the NUC would live on one of those. Or might need a separate pack for it
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

These are the same batteries used in most UPS power supplies. A small UPS would hold it for ~3-4 hours (maybe longer). The hard part would be efficiency. You would need a 12v-19v adapter (iGo used to make one for laptops), otherwise you would need a 12vdc-110vac inverter, then use the NUC power brick to go from 110vac-19vac. Very inefficient and would drain your batteries faster. Check out http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-NUC.

Also, the OS would need to be able to tune the system for optimal battery life vs performance.

All of this is very doable, it just takes time and knowledge.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Using a NUC as the brain in a droid sounds like someone putting iMac Pro's in a server rack...which someone did :P
https://www.slashgear.com/imac-pro-serv ... -02532722/

Fun things aside...if you optimized the power management setup, and used one of those converter units, you would probably get many hours use out of it. But if I were you I would put a Raspberry in there with some Python scripts to power it. You would get horsepower close to a NUC at a fraction of the power cost...just imagine how many more kids you could entertain with that power saving :-D
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

GrueMaster wrote: June 4th, 2018, 10:27 am Yes. My son wrote it when he was a senior in high school (v0.3 - 2009). I have taken over the project and added a lot of features and bug fixes since then, along with a contributor somewhere in the eastern US. I have had volunteers releasing the translations.

The hardest part of maintaining it, I am a Linux developer and Microsoft constantly changes their API functions. For example, the API for detecting SD cards is a completely different library than detecting USB (at least since WIndows 7/8). Hence why SD detection isn't working properly. Also, the new UAC introduced in Vista and redone in Windows 7 kills our drag and drop functionality.

I just recently acquired a system (Intel NUC) that has the HW needed to develop SD support, but haven't had time to get it online yet.
Man, in that case i really want to say huge thanks!!!! These app help me a lot so many times!

Return to “Wireless Printing and Controllers”