Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

PLA Tempatures

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have two 3D Printers 3DP11 and 3DP12
The 3DP11 prints at 196C - 12 volt supply
The 3DP12 prints at 202C - 24 volt supply

So I was determined to see if I could find a happy medium where both printers could print at the same temperature.
The bed temp is the same for both 42C.
If I raise the temperature of the 3DP11 to 200C the PLA is too hot and edges warps or bulges.
If I lower the temperature of the 3DP12 to 198C the PLA is too cool and does not extrude correctly.

Everything I see suggests I should have a larger temperature window for my PLA filament.

Am I missing something.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: PLA Tempatures

Post by LePaul »

I'd be curious what those temps register using one of those laser/infrared temperature readers.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I measured them with a DVM Digital thermometer probe, they matched the 3D Printer temperature readings .
This was quite some time ago I could measure them again.

Using a Digital Multimeter with a K-Type Probe :P3400

Allowed 2 minutes for temperature to equalize. :Measurement point directly on the point when the Nozzle meets the heater Block.
(touching both Nozzle and Heater Block)
Red Set Temp 200C measured DVM temperature 200C
Blu Set Temp 202C measured DVM temperature 201C ;rounded up means 1.5C difference max. Would account for a little.
The mean Blu is actually 198.5 when at 200C this means they have a about a 4C difference.

OH!!
If I swap the Hot-end thermisters.
Red New Set Temp 200C measured DVM temperature should be 198C
Blu New Set Temp 200C measured DVM temperature should be 200C

I could feasibly run both at 200C in my Slicers. (This could Work)
With Hotbed Off, and hot-end set to 200C. If I take a thermister and connect to the Bed thermister and Probe the Same Spot, while comparing temp readings could find workable thermisters.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Wow, so you've covered your bases.

Your PLA really has that narrow of a temp range?

I tend to do first layers at 210-215 which seems to be a little on the warm side for my Ultimaker or ColorFabb filaments (PLA)
Layer two goes down to 205 (I do this manually since I can't seem to make Cura do it...S3D does)

I haven't come across many filaments that print much lower than 200. But my E3Dv6 equipped FT-5 does like to print well at 200 with Hatchbox.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thinking about the temp vs print speed if too hot maybe print faster with a higher velocity cooling fan to model.
A lot I have not experimented with as bad prints waste time and money, to wit both are running in short supply.
Though need to test with a Temp tower and test max speed limits, Do they have a Print speed test.

Here is what I was printing Failproof Fidget Cube ( give these away )

If I adjust the temp down to 194 the extruder starts to click.
Most likely has something to do with the PLA I use. ("CHEAP") Know I need better Extruder tension or a better extruder.

Thank you for the Help. Sometimes just need it written in a different perspective so I can see it.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Well I tested all my new 100K ohm NTC Thermistors. they were suppose to be Compatible they are not. Should have bought from Manufacture.

With the Temp set at 202C on primary hot-end all tested thermisters measured between 180-190C.
So not easy will have to determine what thermister number they use, it is not 1.

Any way of determining the correct thermister number to use with this thermister.
I am guessing 3, 7 or 13

Return to “General Questions”