Limit Switches Odd Behaviour

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
darrenbarker
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 3DP-18

Limit Switches Odd Behaviour

Post by darrenbarker »

3dp 18 from Amazon and it has been a lot of trouble and faulty parts

1) Currently, the Y Axis when I Prepare/Move/Y Axis and it travels and hits the limit switch, the motor stops--like normal.
When I auto home, the motor does not stop. It continues to travel and then throws the belt off. Here is a
video of it from underneath:

https://youtu.be/jpjb7sZIXio

2) When the Z Axis auto home, the motor on the left turns and when the carriage touches the Z limit, it stops (as it should). The Z motor on the right, continues to turn and click while the left has stopped properly. This results in a crooked carriage. One side is moving down, the other side is not--motors thrown out of sync. The set screws are tight.

It has been six weeks since my purchase and things are still not functioning. I'd sure appreciate some help.
Last edited by darrenbarker on May 8th, 2017, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): FFCP, HICTOP i3

Re: Limit Switches Odd Behaviour

Post by shocksofmighty »

You should probably do a test to see if your switches are actually getting triggered.

Close the switch with your finger and send an M43 command. It will tell you if the firmware is detecting a trigger event.
darrenbarker
Reactions:

Post by darrenbarker »

Thank you so much for your reply. That's totally above my current knowledge but I'll sure do some reading and see if I can figure out how to do that.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): FFCP, HICTOP i3

Post by shocksofmighty »

What slicer are you using? Most slicers have the ability to send G-code from a terminal.
darrenbarker
Reactions:

Post by darrenbarker »

shocksofmighty wrote:What slicer are you using? Most slicers have the ability to send G-code from a terminal.

I'm just using Cura currently. Once I get things figured out, I'll look at other software but for now, just trying to get thing running stock is a battle enough.
rcabor
Reactions:

Post by rcabor »

Its common on hictop printers that the wires on the limit switch break at the solder joint. The behavior your seeing is exactly that. Remove the limit switch, cut off the heatshrink, resolder and use either silicone RTV or hot glue to help hold the wires so they dont break off.
darrenbarker
Reactions:

Post by darrenbarker »

I soldered it right proper last night. Let ya know if it works. There's nothing quite like getting everything together and hitting 'go' and having this happen. I've had this printer since 03/21 still trying to get it working between faulty parts and problems like this.

Return to “General Questions”