Basic e-steps configuration issue

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Robbyvegas
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa I3 Mendel 3DP-03

Basic e-steps configuration issue

Post by Robbyvegas »

I'm at a loss... print quality hasn't really been "bad" but it's a bit stringy, etc. so I'm running through calibrations. The starting point, as I see it, is calibrating feed rate. So I put a mark at 120 mm, and then use pronterface to extrude 100 mm of PLA material with the nozzle at 185 degrees. I get close, but I'm about 5 mm short (I have 25 mm of filament from my mark). The printer is set for 94.4 e-steps/mm. A quick calculation (100/95)*94.4 = 99.36. Set my e-steps/mm to 99.4, put a new mark at 120 mm, and extrude another 100 mm. Measuring again, I have 8 mm of material (I have 28 mm of filament to my mark). I run the calculations again, but my results are inconsistent. Sometimes it leaves too much and other times it takes too much material. I don't "think" that the extruder is slipping, but that's my assumption based on the quality of prints that I've gotten in the past (no huge gaps or blobs, etc.). I'm running with the stock NEMA 17 stepper motor and the stock nozzle, extruder, etc. I'm using a Hatchbox PLA. Although I'd like to update it, I haven't made any changes to the configurations.h file or firmware.

Anyone have any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Basic e-steps configuration issue

Post by Izzy »

Are you extruding to fast and getting slippage?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

First extrude at the temperature and speed that you need to calibrate. This will set a basic starting point.

Also add a 10% from the math value for 2.85mm or a 5.5% for 1.75mm

Why? Pressure + distance = spring

Next extrusion test also, marlin has a bug (never fixed afaik) that as soon you change esteps the first next move will be erroneous. So move X amount after changing esteps before doing the mm extrusion to calibrate.

Have fun!
Robbyvegas
Reactions:

Post by Robbyvegas »

Izzy wrote:Are you extruding to fast and getting slippage?
I don't believe so. But perhaps I don't have the settings right. I use Curo to put my print jobs on SD cards... But I'm using pronterface to run the calibration tests. So perhaps I don't have the settings right. I'm a newb at this, so I'm not really even sure what all of the settings are that I need to be concerned with configuring on pronterface or Repetier. Anyone know a good place to find a list of all of the right settings etc. for my HIC i3?
Robbyvegas
Reactions:

Post by Robbyvegas »

Neotko wrote:First extrude at the temperature and speed that you need to calibrate. This will set a basic starting point.

Also add a 10% from the math value for 2.85mm or a 5.5% for 1.75mm

Why? Pressure + distance = spring

Next extrusion test also, marlin has a bug (never fixed afaik) that as soon you change esteps the first next move will be erroneous. So move X amount after changing esteps before doing the mm extrusion to calibrate.

Have fun!
1.75mm PLA has a stretch of 5.5% / 100 mm?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

No, 5.5% on a bowden 65-70cm

Just giving you a basic system to calibrate them. Best way to do it, while bowden, is to actually measure the distance the filament moves at a target temperature and speed. That will give you a good starting point to set a perfect esteps.
Robbyvegas
Reactions:

Post by Robbyvegas »

Is it worth getting a bowden extruder instead of the direct drive that is standard with the HIC i3?

Return to “General Questions”